RidgeRunner/BMBH Spreader Bar Hardware Mod

I'm considering modifying my RidgeRunner and/or a BMBH by replacing the hardware on the hammock that accepts the spreader bars with a pocket of 2" webbing. Having a webbing pocket instead of a piece of metal hardware that requires a specific connection piece on the spreader bar would lighten the hammock some and it would allow me to use anything I want as a spreader bar (stick, hiking pole, camera tripod....) without any special modifications to the improvised spreader bar.

I was wondering if anyone has done this and hoping for some guidance and/or suggestions?

Does anyone know the weight of the RR and BMBH spreader bar hardware?

Do ya'll think 2" seatbelt webbing is strong enough tolerate the abuse imposed by this usage, or should I use something like Hypalon or Kevlar?

Should I try to get some sort of specialty heavy duty thread?

I'm thinking of taking 2" webbing and sewing it into a loop big enough to accept the handles on my hiking poles, then sewing a channel across the webbing at each end so that I can pass the Amsteel suspension through the top channel and then through the webbing loop on the hammock and then through the lower sewn channel and then bury the tag end forming a loop. I would probably get some tubing to fit inside the webbing loop on the hammock to prevent abrasion from the Amsteel.

My only concern is not having the pocket sewn to the hammock webbing. I can see potential for the spreader bar to shift and force a gap between the pocket and the hammock webbing loop and then slide through if the spreader bar is smallish in diameter. I guess if I cinch the loop down tight onto the pocket when I make the bury, that would reduce the potential for this to happen. Just not certain.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Robert

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I did because I was doing mine before there were end parts available.

It was a PITA and some of it had to be done by hand because the sewing machine wouldn't fit...

I used rings and one inch webbing. The webbing was laid out in a cross, stitched into the cross and then sewn around the rings.

Hope the pic shows it adequately.

spreader bar pic.jpg

Nice job Old Boot!! Looks like I'm not a trail blazer, but at least I'm on the right path.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I like Old Boot's solution, too. For another specialized use of rings, see Grizz's video showing how he uses the unusually shaped handle of a Pacer Pole held in place by a twisted strap.

I've wondered if this type of fastener could be adapted to any type of pole or stick that passes through the ring, perhaps with an adjustable strap or piece of amsteel that could tighten around around the end. I use Pacer Poles as spreader bars, a la Grizz, and there's a little learning curve in fastening the handle, but once conquered it becomes second nature. I have also wondered if the ring could be replaced by a soft shackle. The technique of using a wire nut and a washer to hold the tip of a trekking pole works well with a soft shackle.
    (I often find myself taking a page from Grizz's notebook, but it would be more accurate to say that I've ransacked his entire library.)

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you want to replace the aluminum pieces that Brandon puts on his Ridgerunner, I don't think you can do that with webbing since the amount of webbing needed would exceed the weight of those pieces. Now there is another option, Dutch makes his Titanium Bridge Hammock End that would save just over 35 grams of weight over Warbonnet's pieces. As for replacing the spreader bars, I would definitely not recommend using a stick. I forgot my spreader bars in the car once on a backpacking trip with some friends and was about to hike back out for them, but one of my friends said, "No! Here's some 2 inch thick oak branches here, I will cut them and whittle the ends so they'll fit into your Ridgerunner." Sounded ok to me at the time, so he cut them and shaped them and I used them on my Ridgerunner. Even tested them out after he made them, seemed fine. Fast forward to 1 am, the head end stick snapped right in the middle, I got out and figured, "Ok, I'll just lay backward with my head in the foot end, no problem." 15 minutes later the other end snapped trapping me in a sli-nylon burrito, with me calling out for help. My closest friend heard me, got out of her hammock, looked at my situation, laughed for about 10 minutes before I was able to work one of my legs out. Not exactly my best moment. For replacement bars, I would recommend carbon fiber rods.
    Last edited by lilricky; 05-07-2015 at 09:22.

I saw those titanium corner pieces from Dutch. Those are pretty nifty. But, according to Dutch's website, his 2" webbing is 20 grams per foot. I think I could get away with 4" of webbing per corner which would be around 26 grams + thread weight. This would put me right around the weight of Dutch's titanium corner pieces, which as was mentioned, are 35 grams less than the stock aluminum ones. Even if it does come out a little heavier than Dutch's titanium pieces, the flexibility to use just about anything sturdy as a spreader bar far outweighs the couple of grams of weight increase over the titanium ends and definitely beats the stock weights by a good margin . One could effectively loose 3/4 of a pound by dumping the RR bars all together and going with hiking poles or sticks found on the trail.

Not to mention the difficulty in separating and re-sewing the webbing that holds on the the corner pieces so that you could replace them with the titanium ones. With the webbing pocket method, I'd just cut the aluminum piece off, once I was satisfied with the results of the webbing pocket.

• + New Posts