Hammock
    Kammock roo
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG incubator °20
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie hook
    Here is my concern, I'm a pretty big fellow, 6'3" and 345 ish. after recently having problems with a new hammock holding together for me, I returned it and stepped up the weight limit. I use Atlas straps and so far so good but of course I would love to save weight/space. My question would be "Are there whoopie slings that are fat man approved?"
    Hard work has a future, laziness pays off NOW!

I prefer the term "indolence", it makes my laziness sound classy.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlacklineSleeper View Post
    Here is my concern, I'm a pretty big fellow, 6'3" and 345 ish. after recently having problems with a new hammock holding together for me, I returned it and stepped up the weight limit. I use Atlas straps and so far so good but of course I would love to save weight/space. My question would be "Are there whoopie slings that are fat man approved?"
    Yes, as long as you understand how shear force works and pitch your hammock at suitable and sane angles. If you go with a 30 degree hang and you don't jump into it 7/64 Amsteel's 1600 pound breaking strength would likely be strong enough for you. If you go up to 1/8 Amsteel the breaking strength goes up to 2500 pounds.

Chances are your carabiner or other hardware used for attachment is the weakest link in a whoopie sling suspension. They are often rated for 1000 pounds. 1" tree straps are also rated for 1000+.

Here is another thread talking about weight limits, how knots and splices derate breaking strength limits, the 1/5 rule, and shear force principles.

Lastly, here is a link to the Hammock Hang Calculator which will allow you to play with hang angles to see the consequences of making your suspension too taut.

Hammock
    Kammock roo
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG incubator °20
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie hook
    Thanks much for the info , I might have to take a look at some of the amsteel options out there. I tend to use a pair of carabiners rated at 2400 k/n but they are bulky. I'll dig in and find myself some slings and blings I like
    thanks again.
    Hard work has a future, laziness pays off NOW!

I prefer the term "indolence", it makes my laziness sound classy.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 9
    Insulation
    BMI
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopies
    I am not a small guy either. I use Amsteel whoopies with marlinspike hitch to tree straps. I trust that setup completely. I don't even think about it any more. The weakest link in my setup is the hammock, which is rated to 400 lbs.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Do It Yourself
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I am looking into altering my Hennessey Hammock expedition to use Whoopie Slings instead of the large heavy rope that came with the hammock.

The reason that I am looking to convert to a whoopie sling system is ease of hammock suspension, currently I use climbing rings and though it works well and holds my weight it is a booger to adjust when the rope tends to cross.

I would like to purchase a whoopie sling set (not lazy just do not know how to construct one myself and not sure I want to trust my own work) but the one that I ordered from Amazon had the fixed loop too close to the adjustment mechanism so I could not attach it securely to my hammock.

So, my request is...anyone know of a good whoopie sling source that I can purchase a pair for my hammock? Otherwise, any experience making a whoopie sling? If so, would you recommend making instead of purchasing one?

Quote Originally Posted by UManiac View Post
    I am looking into altering my Hennessey Hammock expedition to use Whoopie Slings instead of the large heavy rope that came with the hammock.

So, my request is...anyone know of a good whoopie sling source that I can purchase a pair for my hammock? Otherwise, any experience making a whoopie sling? If so, would you recommend making instead of purchasing one?
    I'm waiting anxiously for my Whoopie Slings to come from Dutch. I've also bought his complete ridgeline system and tarp guy lines.

I figure I could make my own, but I can't find dynema whatever in Canada, so I simplified matters and went with Dutch. The way I read these forums is he's the one that others match themselves against. I'm sure I could have chosen others, but …

OK, I'm addicted …

Hammock
    Dutchware halfwit
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie sling
    It saves A little weight but not that much. I make my own whoopie slings and I enjoy it. So it's just the type suspension I prefer.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    They are a little lighter, less bulky, and I find them easier to adjust. Being easier to adjust is the bigger selling point for me.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I use whoopie slings (most of the time):

1. For weight savings. After the big changes, every ounce adds up.
    2. To learn something new. Reading about ropes and splicing, and being able to make your own suspension from start to finish is a good exercise. With some Amsteel and a bit of thin wire in a repair kit I can completely replace the suspension on my hammock in the field.
    3. With Whoopie Hooks, I like to be able to completely remove my suspension from my hammock sometimes. Like when it's wet and I want the hammock on the outside of my pack.
    4. For flexibility. Long huggers, short huggers, wide huggers, Kevlar huggers - it all works. Lark's Head the whoopie to the strap if the strap's too short, or use a buckle (Dutch Buckle or Cinch Bug or Spider, oh my) or a Marlinspike Hitch and toggle, or a stick ... it all works.

And as others have said, when a 240 lb. man tells someone new to hammocks that he is perfectly comfortable hanging from a tree on rope that looks too thin to tie old newspapers up with and supported by a loop and a stick. The look is just priceless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by UManiac View Post

The reason that I am looking to convert to a whoopie sling system is ease of hammock suspension, currently I use climbing rings and though it works well and holds my weight it is a booger to adjust when the rope tends to cross.

I would like to purchase a whoopie sling set (not lazy just do not know how to construct one myself and not sure I want to trust my own work) but the one that I ordered from Amazon had the fixed loop too close to the adjustment mechanism so I could not attach it securely to my hammock.

I did just what you mentioned. Order from Dutch and you'll be good to hang. Off the tree huggers, I clip a carabiner and that's it. However, I'm looking to switch out to toggles...because I can. Once you get start tweaking...you'll be come a tweaker.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast