Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clark Vertex Tarp, Or Warbonnet Superfly Tarp

Hi, i am ordering my first hammock a clark nx-270, but before i do i had a question about which tarp i should buy. I have been looking at different tarps and have a few questions on them. Is there a difference between the clark vertex tarp, and the warbonnet superfly? can the both close on the ends to form a tent around the hammock? does one give more room then the others? Should i be looking at a different style of tarp for the hammock?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Most of the Clark tarps I've seen in the field pitch horribly and not very taut. I'd pick the Superfly in a heartbeat.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB DL Multicam XLC, Roo
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing

Clark Vertex Tarp, Or Warbonnet Superfly Tarp

Superfly is supposed to be excellent quality and huge. They are pretty backed up on orders right now though.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have the Vertex tarp with my Vertex hammock and it's a great tarp. I'm not sure what Silver meant about it being hard to get a decent pitch, doubly so since with my 2-person hammock I'm having to split a line between trees to tie off to. So far zero problems in winds, rain, etc.

That said, I have a better option to consider especially if the WB Superfly's are on backorder right now:

If you are getting the NX270 new from Clark (and being brand new I'm assuming that's the case) then it's a $20 bump to get the Vertex or only $55 off of a tarp they sell for $149 if you get no tarp at all. I was looking at getting the NX270 for solo runs and quickly realized that I could spend the extra $20, get the V-tarp, keep it nice, shiney and new in the container and sell it for $100-115 on here all day long (as it's $149 from Clark and they ARE sought after tarps). Not only do you come out ahead, but so does another forum member. Win / win! And if for some reason you can't get the WB quickly you have the V-tarp already and might even decide you like it enough to keep it. Another win!

Either way you go I think you'd be happy. That said, I have a Kelty Noah 12 that I'd like to augment with the lighter Superfly at some point as I think (could be wrong and I probably am) they are similar in size but the Super is about 1/2 the weight and packs up much smaller. I would not, however, dump my Vertex tarp for it.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I just bought a tarp from Mountain Wilderness. He is an upstart cottage vendor. The tarp is made from silpoly. Has a 12' ridgeline...two pull outs on each side...three tie downs on each side...and doors on each side...all the seams sealed. It weighs 21 oz with bag and tie outs. He was having a sale, and I got it for a LOT less than than the ones you are talking about. Constuction and finish look great. I can not testify to how well it will hold up, because I just got it. But being made of silpoly, it will not stretch like silnylon. He can make one to your specifications. Look him up on facebook. I posted a couple of pics on his page. It was my first setup and it has a couple of wrinkles in it, but I can fix that next time I set it up. I am very happy with the decision to try him out. He also made me some whoopies and an adjustable ridgeline.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I got my Superfly yesterday, awesome tarp. Did a quick pitch to give it a look, plan to get it all set with guylines and such this week.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    DH NightHawk
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Suspension
    Cinch
    Where can you find Mountain Wilderness? Does he have a site?

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhagan View Post
    I just bought a tarp from Mountain Wilderness. He is an upstart cottage vendor. The tarp is made from silpoly. Has a 12' ridgeline...two pull outs on each side...three tie downs on each side...and doors on each side...all the seams sealed. It weighs 21 oz with bag and tie outs. He was having a sale, and I got it for a LOT less than than the ones you are talking about. Constuction and finish look great. I can not testify to how well it will hold up, because I just got it. But being made of silpoly, it will not stretch like silnylon. He can make one to your specifications. Look him up on facebook. I posted a couple of pics on his page. It was my first setup and it has a couple of wrinkles in it, but I can fix that next time I set it up. I am very happy with the decision to try him out. He also made me some whoopies and an adjustable ridgeline.
    Did you figure out what "sewn in ridgeline" means?

Also, when you say 3 tie downs, you aren't counting the corners, I guess, right? I'm guessing there are 5 connection points along each side, with the one on the ends (corners) being used to close the doors. Is that right?

I have a vertex, it pitches as tight as any tarp, period. I have a superfly and it pitches perfectly as well. The vertex has 3 sections of velcro on each end to close it off, but doing so makes it very narrow. The superfly has doors which can close the ends off, but you have much more space. Both good tarps, each with merit. I aded the superfly to my gear because of the vertex limitations. I love it.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodell View Post
    Where can you find Mountain Wilderness? Does he have a site?
    https://m.facebook.com/mountainwilderness365 ...for pictures

Mountain Wilderness <[email protected]> ...email for orders/info

I ordered a Stormfly literally less than 5 minute ago. There are 8 tie outs (4 doors, 4 corners), +ridgeline tie outs, +panel pullouts if you want them for $85 through 5/30. Includes stuff sack and 5' black corner tieouts (glowline is backordered). This is a 12' 1.1 Silpoly (from RBTR) with doors and is not cat cut if that matters to you. That deal is mighty hard to beat!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast