Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Advice on the best way to keep warm underneath

I'm hiking the PCT and am on day 20 or so and am trying to hammock. I have been able to hang all but 2 times so far. I have a blackbird with a Yeti 3/4 UQ. I cannot seem to stay warm on my backside. When the air is still and temps not too low, it is OK, but as soon as there is any breeze, it seems to blows right between the hammock and UQ and right on my back waking me up every time. I have tried various positions for the UQ and when it is light out, I can see that the UQ is dark on the bottom side of the hammock everywhere (I think) except for the corner near my left hip. It looks like the asymmetric lay in the hammock pulls the fabric to the right side (toward the toe box) right where the corner of the UQ is. Of course, the UQ bungee goes straight and I think that this is the gap where the wind gets in. Either that or the wind is just blowing through the UQ. Warbonnet said that I probably just need a tarp with more coverage.

In general, the hammock has been very comfy but I seem to consistently be cold either due to wind or just plain cold temps. I'm wondering if my best bet is to switch to a full UQ (like an incubator +20 maybe) or might that have the same problems with the wind? Or, should I get a much larger coverage tarp? Or, do I need both? I'm hesitant to take on too much more weight/bulk for my hike as it will get to be a bunch more than just going with an ultralight tent and cushy pad before long.

Any advice, tips, tricks would be much welcome. I need to figure out how to be warm at night.

Facts:
    - Blackbird 1.1 double layer hammock, regular size.
    - Yeti 3 season 3/4 UQ with multicam fabric.
    - I'm just under 6' tall.
    - I use half of a 3/4 length Z-Rest placed sideways (between hammock layers) with the corner in the toe box for foot/calf insulation. I use the whole 3/4 when I need to go to ground.
    - The best position so far seems to be to pull the Yeti toward the feet as far as it will go without overlapping the Z-Rest which puts the top just at my shoulder.

Thanks lots for any advice.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Is the Z rest an the Yeti overlapping at all? Z rest being a fairly stiff pad to use for the feet could be pushing the UQ out and away from the way it should snug up to the hammock. Can you have someone take picture of you in the hammock with everything set up that you could post. It would help us to See what's happening and could be causing the cold.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    What kind of tarp do you have?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    In absence of having suitable tarp coverage, wouldn't an UQP help with wind diversion?

Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    In absence of having suitable tarp coverage, wouldn't an UQP help with wind diversion?
    What is a UQP?

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    What kind of tarp do you have?
    I am using a Hennessy Cat Cape as my tarp to try to get the dual use as a tarp and rain gear. It is pretty minimal but has kept me dry in a rain both when wearing it and hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Is the Z rest an the Yeti overlapping at all? Z rest being a fairly stiff pad to use for the feet could be pushing the UQ out and away from the way it should snug up to the hammock. Can you have someone take picture of you in the hammock with everything set up that you could post. It would help us to See what's happening and could be causing the cold.
    Z-Rest is not overlapping with the UQ at all. I started out with it overlapping and that was bad. Now, there is an inch or two between them. The UQ seems snug up to the hammock when I look at the shadow pattern when it is light out with the exception of on the left bottom corner where the hammock is pulled to the right from the asymmetric lay and the foot box on the right. The hammock pulls to the right down past my left hip but the UQ shock cord pulls the UQ straight apparently creating a small gap down in that corner.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cloud-rider View Post
    Z-Rest is not overlapping with the UQ at all. I started out with it overlapping and that was bad. Now, there is an inch or two between them. The UQ seems snug up to the hammock when I look at the shadow pattern when it is light out with the exception of on the left bottom corner where the hammock is pulled to the right from the asymmetric lay and the foot box on the right. The hammock pulls to the right down past my left hip but the UQ shock cord pulls the UQ straight apparently creating a small gap down in that corner.

Then I would work to pull that shock cord in line with the hammock. Use a little carabiner above the hammock Ridgeline to connect the shock cord from both sides up close to the ridgeline.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cloud-rider View Post
    What is a UQP?
    Underquilt protector. Think of it as a hammock for your underquilt to protect it from splashing rain and wind.

Campsite choice, direction of your hammock relative to the prevailing wind, and how you pitch the tarp all become much more important if your tarp is undersized. Since you can't always pick trees facing in the right direction or the leeward side of a hill on a thru hike, a larger tarp might be part of the solution.

Are you heading SOBO or NOBO?
    Last edited by DanglingModifier; 05-04-2015 at 03:56.

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Then I would work to pull that shock cord in line with the hammock. Use a little carabiner above the hammock Ridgeline to connect the shock cord from both sides up close to the ridgeline.
    Thanks. I'll play around with pulling that corner up as you suggest.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast