Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    Underquilt protector. Think of it as a hammock for your underquilt to protect it from splashing rain and wind.

Campsite choice, direction of your hammock relative to the prevailing wind, and how you pitch the tarp all become much more important if your tarp is undersized. Since you can't always pick trees facing in the right direction or the leeward side of a hill on a thru hike, a larger tarp might be part of the solution.

Are you heading SOBO or NOBO?
    In the first 700 miles or so, having any hang available is difficult and I certainly don't have a choice of directions and locations on a hill. I really have to take what I can get. I don't know about after that. I'm heading NOBO.

With the setup that I have, do you think that I'd get the best improvement in bottom warmth for the weight/bulk from:
    a) a full length UQ?
    b) a larger tarp?
    c) a UQP?
    I'm trying to figure out what to try next to see if I can sleep warm in a hammock.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    might also be worth checking that you have not overtightened the UQ - so now your butt/legs are compressing the down
    time for you young padawan to re-watch shugs noobie hammock basics videos on UQs/

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    An UQP would give you the most warmth I think. A tarp with doors will still get some wind underneath but not as much.

How is your UQ adjusted?
    Loosen the end shock cords. Tighten the suspension and lay in hammock. Tighten the ends just to the point of no gap allowing air in. Also throw the suspension of the UQ over your feet. This keeps the UQ in place for me.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cloud-rider View Post
    With the setup that I have, do you think that I'd get the best improvement in bottom warmth for the weight/bulk from:
    a) a full length UQ?
    b) a larger tarp?
    c) a UQP?
    I'm trying to figure out what to try next to see if I can sleep warm in a hammock.
    I'm a fan of four-season tarps with doors, like the WB Superfly or HG Winter Palace. In my opinion, you won't need a UQP if you get a larger tarp. Also, I think your UQ problem is caused by the Z-Rest pad. Most of us using 3/4 UQs are simply putting a pad inside the footbox of the TQ/sleeping bag - your method would seem to cause condensation, not to mention gaps in the UQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Are you closing in on Kennedy Meadows? If so I could ride up there and help you with a second set of eyes to adjust your rig properly (Kennedy is in my backyard...so to speak). Planning on an overnighter in that area anyway. Most of your problem will be proper adjustment of the UQ and wind robbing thermal efficiency (tarp/UQP). I have a 2QZQ UQP you are welcome to if wanted. You are smart this year to beat the herd as it will be especially dry for those who leave later. Kennedy was cold this weekend (under 50 during the day at the Sherman Pass overlook)...it will be colder points North.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 05-04-2015 at 22:52.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cloud-rider View Post
    a) a full length UQ?
    b) a larger tarp?
    c) a UQP?
    My suspicion is that it might take two of those three things to really make the difference. I don't have any personal experience with an UQP yet, so I'm not the best person to prioritize the upgrades.

Here are my thoughts anyway. The Yeti is really a 2/3 UQ. It's the shortest, narrowest, and lightest one on the market. For those reasons it is going to be less forgiving of conditions or operator error than even other 3/4 models. It's also still possible to be cold and have fit or wind problems if you use a full length UQ. They aren't a silver bullet. If it isn't hung right you'll still get cold. When you need to go to ground a bigger tarp might be the most versatile of the three investments. For those reasons, and my lack of practical experience with an UQP, if it was me I'd focus on the quilt and tarp first. More importantly I'd focus first on the fit of the Yeti, and making sure it is hung properly.

Nobody wants to carry more than they have to on a thru, and it's a fine line dialing in just the right gear, but one or two really uncomfortable nights helps reestablish sensible priorities: Warmth > Weight.

Get a space blanket and use it smartly. It will certainly block the wind, reflect heat and in conjunction with an underquilt keep you warm on those windy days. Space blankets don't weigh much or take up much space and you can use it when you need it. Take a page out of Hennessy's book. He uses the space blanket with a foam pad in his super shelter setup. Of course the super shelter cover is also wind proof which helps. Wind is the bane of hammocks.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I would take Law Dawg's suggestion and get a second pair of knowledgable eyes to help with the situation. SilvrSurfr too has good advice about your pad; put it in your footbox with your feet and legs directly on it, that will make any adjustments during the night easier.

There is always option d) get a new hammock. It seems to me that more and more people have issues with their blackbirds and I believe most of them have to do with the 'footbox'. BB's also make most any adjustments during the night from within the hammock impossible. A simple gathered end hammock could be the most economical option (but you might like to add a bug net too...)
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Diy
    Tarp
    Diy
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    DutchbinerWhoopies
    I don't have a yeti, but I've seen people pull the shock cord over their legs. If it's not tight enough use caribiners or quilt hooks to hook it to the hammock ridge line.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast