Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newby, Bridge v "normal" Hammock question

Hi folks I'm a newby, so please be gentle....

I see many hammocks on here, but not many bridge hammocks, why is that, what's the disadvantage of the bridge?

Paul

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I think many of the people here are backpackers who like to be as light as possible when on the trail and a bridge hammock is heavier than a gathered-end hammock because of the spreader bars. Personally I sleep in a bridge hammock every night at home but when backpacking I bring my DH Thunderbird.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Air pad, for now
    Suspension
    Dutch's whoopie
    Ok, so I'm very new, but I think I can give you a few reasons, along with some useful data! I strongly considered buying a bridge hammock myself, since I'm normally a side sleeper.

First, weight/bulk. The poles required to spread the hammock open add a decent chunk to the total weight; some bridge hammocks weigh double or more what a simple netless hammock weighs. The poles are also a bit bulkier and harder to pack than a cloth-only hammock.

On the flip side, most bridge hammocks have an integrated net, so a hammock with an integrated bugnet is a better apples to apples weight comparison. Finally, if you already carry trekking poles, it's possible to save weight by using those to support a bridge hammock, instead of the poles provided, BUT not all manufacturers' websites say whether that is possible on their model (I'm looking at you here, JacksRBetter!).

What all that means is that if someone is backpacking and trying to stay light, the added bulk and weight of the system probably isn't desirable, unless you REALLY love a bridge.

Below are the specs on the JacksRBetter and Warbonnet*bridge hammocks, so you can get an idea of the weight breakdown and what the poles add:

JACKSRBETTER Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock (BMBH) w/ integrated bugnet.

A) ULTRALIGHT version: $184.95
    Hammock (Body & Bugnet): 19.5 oz
    Suspension: 4.3 oz
    Spreader Bars: 8 oz
    Total: 31.8 oz
    [0 UQ loops, 4" shallower than Deluxe version, no pad pocket]

B) DELUXE version: $194.95
    Hammock (Body & Bugnet): 26.7 oz
    Suspension: 4.3 oz
    Spreader Bars: 8 oz
    Total: 39 oz
    [4" deeper than UL version, 26"W pad pocket, 4 UQ loops]

WARBONNET OUTDOORS Ridgerunner bridge hammock, with integrated bugnet. You CAN substitute trekking poles for the spreader bars!

C) Single layer (SL): $180 and up
    Hammock & suspension weight:
    i) webbing/buckles: 1 lb. 8 oz
    ii) whoopies suspension: 1 lb. 5 oz
    Spreader bar weight (set): 10 oz
    Total weight range: 31-34 oz w/ bars

D) Double layer (DL): $195 and up
    Hammock & suspension weight:
    i) webbing/buckles: 1 lb. 10.5 oz
    ii) whoopies suspension: 1 lb. 7.5 oz
    Spreader bar weight: (set): 12 oz
    Total weight range: 35.5-38.5 oz w/ bars

For perspective, the poles alone add anywhere from 8-12 oz to the total weight; consider that the Grand Trunk nano 7, while a small 9'×4' hammock, only weighs 7.4 oz total! And a 10' Dutchware NylonD single layer hammock is 9.8 oz (and the entire whoopee suspension only adds another 3.7 oz, so both the hammock and suspension only weigh 13.5 oz total, for $74). Even the Dutch double layer NylonD is under 12 oz (hammock/stuff sack only). So as you can see, the poles aren't an insignificant addition.

To really compare apples to apples, you need to look at the weight of a gathered end hammock with integrated bugnet and similar suspension. The lightest single layer bridge hammock above weighs about 31 oz (just under 2 lbs) total, with suspension. In comparison, a single layer Warbonnet blackbird (a non-bridge hammock that has an integrated bugnet as well as many extras, like pull outs and a shelf inside), weighs in at only 18 oz total (1 lb 2 oz) with the same suspension. And the blackbird costs less - $160 for SL and $175 for DL!

Next, feelings of claustrophobia/being in a coffin. I haven't personally experienced this, but obviously in a bridge hammock, the sides come up higher on both sides than they might in a gathered end hammock where you lay asymmetrically. The more asymmetrical you get in a gathered end, the more you can see out at least one side (Imagine laying opposite the normal way you usually lay, perpendicular across the middle of the hammock - you would have a perfect view out unblocked by the hammock sides. This ability to see out increases incrementally the more you change your angle from parallel towards perpendicular.) The bug net that covers the top of the hammock may increase this "coffin-like" feeling that some people dislike.

I've also heard that some people, guys with broad shoulders especially, feel like the hammock presses in on their shoulders in an uncomfortable way. But someone else would need to speak to that.

Last, as you can see above, bridge hammocks are generally equally or more expensive than comparable gathered end hammocks with similar features.

In a lightweight hiking community, I think many people just can't get over paying more money for something that actually weighs more! Especially to obtain what many see as only a marginal increase in comfort.

The rarity of anything, like bridge hammocks, is self-perpetuating in a sense. Fewer owners means fewer people recommending them, fewer people having access to try one, and the higher cost means people are more likely to try gathered-end first. Then they probably either fall in love or just give up on hammocking altogether, instead of paying a few hundred more to try a bridge in the hopes it will be better. My guess would be that most of the people who own bridges got into gathered end first, then got a chance to try a bridge somewhere (like a hang), and then fell in love.

And don't get me wrong, it seems like there are a ton of great qualities of bridge hammocks too, and a lot of side sleepers swear by them, along with people who really dislike calf pressure. That wasn't your question, however, which is the only reason I haven't addressed the positive side of bridge hammocks.

I hope this was helpful! More senior members, if I misstated anything, please advise!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham Mocker View Post
    ...Next, feelings of claustrophobia/being in a coffin. I haven't personally experienced this, but obviously in a bridge hammock, the sides come up higher on both sides than they might in a gathered end hammock where you lay asymmetrically. The more asymmetrical you get in a gathered end, the more you can see out at least one side (Imagine laying opposite the normal way you usually lay, perpendicular across the middle of the hammock - you would have a perfect view out unblocked by the hammock sides. This ability to see out increases incrementally the more you change your angle from parallel towards perpendicular.)...
    One of the many selling points of the WB Ridgerunner is the unprecedented low sides providing better views than most (all?) other camping style hammocks.

Thanks for the replies folks. Wow! Ham Mocker, what a comprehensive reply (thanks!) I suppose I should have said Advantages/Disadvantages, but I get the gist...I'm a side sleeper, so I will research more before making one or the other.......

I have a big old piece of Sailcloth (actually a sail) nylon or similar, but have no idea what oz/yard it is, but I may use it to experiment with, looking at videos the sailcloth appears thicker/stiffer than 1.9oz....whats the worst that can happen......
    Best wishes

Paul
    Last edited by Paulnb57; 05-03-2015 at 10:19.

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Great explanation Ham Mocker.
    As messed up as a soup sandwich

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    They are two very different hangs and require different tarp pitches as well.
    Both are very good.
    I prefer gathered end but take my bridges out from time to time.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Don't forget that the JRB and Warbonnet Bridges are only rated for a max of 250 lbs ( depending on the model ).

I am 6ft 2 and 275lbs + and a friend let me try his double layer RidgeRunner. I found it was way too narrow for me.

The Terminator ( my wife ) has a SL RidgeRunner and loves it. Of course she is only 5ft 3
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro Modded
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    They are two very different hangs and require different tarp pitches as well.
    Both are very good.
    I prefer gathered end but take my bridges out from time to time.
    Shug

No comment on bridge hammocks as I've never used one, I just wanted to say I love your videos! I always get a lot of useful info and I always get a laugh or two as well!
    Two heads are good, three are great, but all heads at hammockforums is the best case scenario!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Air pad, for now
    Suspension
    Dutch's whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    One of the many selling points of the WB Ridgerunner is the unprecedented low sides providing better views than most (all?) other camping style hammocks.
    Thanks - good to know! I'll keep that in mind in case I ever get to order one. I wonder how they worked that out...?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast