Tarp
    Xenon 1.1 hexagona
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie! home-made
    Images

Simple Wooden Toggles

I whipped up my whoopie slings today, the process was uneventful and successful. The slings are to replace a nylon strap suspension system which will be modified to provide tree straps for the slings. I was able to remove the existing heavy S hooks from the hammock ends but the system needed a toggle for the marlinspike hitch. I understand I can use a stick, tent peg or pen but I wanted something in case none of these implements were available.

I don't have a shop so the toggle fabrication was performed in my kitchen. My friend had needed a ride last week to Home Depot to get stuff for her leaky roof, so she bought me a 3/8" wooden dowel for $1. The label said it was made out of hardwood, but didn't specify what type of hard wood. I cut two 3" pieces and then drilled a 1/8" hole in each. I then sanded the toggles with 100 grit sand paper left over from a drywall project from years ago. I thought about adding a stain but that would have entailed getting dressed, finding my shoes and getting some stain from a neighbor which was too much work. I gave each toggle three coats of clearcoat for truck, van and SUV for a project I have not yet begun but should considering the poor condition of my car. Then I added a short length of 3/32" tactical cord.

My project cost: $0

I have yet to try the toggles out, but they sure are pretty and light.

Toggles sm.jpg

Follow up: I went to the park and did a full quality control test on my new toggles. I'm happy to report they worked wonderfully. They stood up to rigorous hammock movement and pressure. The real joy was releasing the toggles from the knot. They pulled out effortlessly so I didn't have to spend precious minutes pulling out a knotty stick. I used the toggle loop to thread one of the nylon tree straps during storage so they will not get lost or fall out of the hammock stuff sack.
    Last edited by Cham102; 05-04-2015 at 09:21.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice job, I like the tactical cord idea and dowel rods. I like a plan B and C maybe tomorrow i'll make some spare sets for my pack. I don't count grams or ounces.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Nice job. Remember, when you're in the woods, there are always toggles.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts