Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dogs, hammocks, bug nets

Greets fellow hangers!

I did a search and didn't find anything relevant, so time to pick your brains.

I've done a lot of hammocking (started hanging in 1978) and have done it exclusively during warm months. My hiking partner was previously a Malamute, so he was perfectly comfortable sleeping in the snow at -20. He was also 125 lbs. My new hiking partner is not nearly as hardy, she's a mutt that weighs about 65lbs.

I'm thinking about taking her along on some cooler hangs, down into about the 30s for now. I'm concerned that having a pad under my hammock for her might not be warm enough. She sleeps very soundly, rarely moving, so I'm thinking about inviting her into the hammock for a bit more warmth for both of us. Has anyone tried this? We're going out next week for a trial, and the temps will probably be in the 40s at night. I would appreciate any ideas!

For warmer weather, I'd like a bug net that hangs from ridge line to the ground so that she can get some relief from bugs while sleeping on the ground under the hammock. Does anyone know of such a device?

Thanks!

Az

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Grand Trunk has one but I know nothing about it. Simply Light designs can make something with which you need to keep the bugs off your furry family member.

61on5UOTSJL._SX425_.jpg
    As messed up as a soup sandwich

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    In post #16 in the link below I go over hammocking with my dog in the hammock. 5 years and no issues so far...
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mmock-What-Now
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I use a fronkey style bug net that I open fully at the bottom and let it hang to the ground. Buddy sleeps beside the hammock and can easily come and go under it to get away from the bugs.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    This discussion about Hanging with our K9 comes along about every 3 months. In fact when I joined the group my first question was about Hanging with my Medical Alert Service Dog, she is not a small dog. I was warned to watch the weight issue, which really was the least concern. Dogs have legs, short legs not much of a problem, longer legs are a problem. My pug would just curl up and sleep right next to me. My big dog, well it was worse than sleeping two people in one hammock.

Now my Medical Alert K9 sleeps under my hammock (provides lots of heat). I put down a piece of Tyvek for her. Now we are already into mosquito season, all sorts of blood suckers out and about. Very reluctantly I have sprayed my hammock with Pyrethrum. Even more reluctantly after several discussion with other members I have sprayed cotton scarves with pyrethrum to keep the bities off the dogs. We do not have ticks where we Hang, however we have other things that bite and make life unpleasant without some modern chemical help.

I tried a space blanket, dog did not like the sound and feel. The Tyvek I use for a ground cover is old very crinked and soft, not slick and not noisy.

I do keep my K9 tethered, she will defend me, whether it is a human or critter. Found that out when we stayed in a BLM campground and she disliked the creepy camp host. Just about had the guy for lunch. Nine years of being my constant companion never been aggressive. First time for everything.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Here are some ideas.

Fronkey

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Great Video Fronkey, you covered all the basis.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Great Video Fronkey, you covered all the basis.
    Thank you!
    I've currently filming a series of videos about backpacking with dogs and I'll do an updated version of hammock camping with them too.

Fronkey

Great vid about hiking with dogs fronkey

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    I'm down to sleeping with two chihuahuas (4.5 & 6.5 lbs) now that Canela (26 lbs)!has crossed over the Rainbow Bridge (Google it). A bit challenging, especially when I had to get up to pee cos then EVERYBODY had to "go."

Canela was amazing - blind (and lastly, deaf as well) and I would lower over the side and then reel her back after she had peed. At last year's FL Sherpa Hang (by then she was incontinent), she slept in a 36" mesh tent (designed to keep Mosquitos off picnic food!) on the ground. She was such a trooper.

By all means, try it. The doggies love the adventure and change of pace and scenery. The Chis are in the hanging underbag in the Sherpa photo.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast