Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for the feedback, the bug nets were exactly what I was looking for, that will help in bug season.

For the winter camping, I appreciate the comments and the video was fun to watch, but I may not have been perfectly clear. I'm not new to hammock camping. I'm not new to camping with dogs. I was asking specifically about winter camping with a 65lb mutt (GSD/Rotty) in winter. I guess I'll try it in the backyard a couple times before I try it on a trip.

BTW, Fronkey, I like your video style. Very fun! Try attaching a carabiner to your leash handle loop. It makes it a lot easier/faster to hook/unhook the dog from your static line, as well as being able to quickly attach the dog to a tree or something (I wear a rigger's belt and attach the carabiner to the loop on the belt when I need two hands quickly) Also, don't be so concerned about your Husky and warm weather. Dogs don't sweat through their body like people do, so wearing a fur coat is not quite a harmful for them in summer as it would be for us. Dogs radiate their heat through their faces, ears, nose and mouth. A dog with a long nose and tongue and full fur coat will handle heat better than a short haired pug nose dog. I used to hike regularly with a 125lb Malamute in Georgia, North Carolina, and Tenn, in the summer and he was a great companion. Between the full tree canopy most of the time, and regular cold flowing water to play in, he rarely had any issues with heat. Just keep an eye on him and keep him in the shade as much as possible on really hot days and he'll be fine.

Az

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    I've thought about building a mosquito net similar to that for the dogs. Mosquito bites on dogs are a big deal since that's a part of the heartworm lifecycle. They stay for a long time and will, eventually, kill your dog. (Especially those living in Gulf states.)

You can send in clothing to Insect Shield for treatment. I will probably send a larger roll of cloth to be treated where I can then make a bunch of bandanas for the dogs. A lot of dog beds have removable covers, so having it treated might be a good idea or just buy a $15 outdoor blanket directly from Insect Shield. Their treated mosquito netting is $28 and could easily be modified for use with a hammock.

Sorry for the poor photo, but this is my $10 DEFCON 5 net for summer. I'm planning to make a version with a silnylon floor that hangs to the ground for my dog, Buddy. I made it from matte tulle from Joann's that I got with a 50% off coupon. Seems to keep out all the Illinois bugs!

Don't ask how much it weighs, unless you really want to know and I'll weigh it. But for me, I don't care because I don't count grams.

Peace!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 1.6 DBL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly + Noah 12
    Insulation
    New River Long
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    My kid likes to move around allot in the hammock and out around it. I have an ENO bug net. I have not tried using it hanging with Kaje... I smell disaster. I do know that my local Army surplus has two (sizes) bug nets that hang all the way to the ground. I still think that it may be not work, but they are cheap so I will give it a try. My problem is that Kaje is allergic to mosquito spit. UC Davis Vet has him on meds for it so I am extra careful.

20150524_101903.jpgattachment.php.jpg

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 16'
    Insulation
    Pads baby
    Suspension
    Straps and biners
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    she disliked the creepy camp host. Just about had the guy for lunch.
    Wow, that's impressive and disturbing at the same time.

Hey chefkeith, do you happen to have the plans drawn up yet?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    HG all around
    Suspension
    Sling and bling
    a healthy dog is a space heater with an average bod temp of about 102 deg. I know some people can sleep with a dog in the hammock but I know for me the thought of my 60lb lab in the hammock would be torture. We got our dog an Alcott pup tent, it is a waterproof dog sized tent. I set it up under my rain fly for extra protection. I put a fleece blanket in side and leave the door unzipped but rolled down. This lets her move in and out freely but still have some bug protection. I keep her tethered just in case she decided to go on a midnight stroll. I have been tempted to pick up an UBC from 2TOutdoors but I am not sure how she would take to sleeping suspended. The tent is really light but I make her carry it so it isn't adding weight to my pack!

~HEH

Quote Originally Posted by CanGnu View Post
    Hey chefkeith, do you happen to have the plans drawn up yet?
    Fresh off the press...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d.php?t=112585

My 50 lb retriever mutt likes sleeping with me, but overheats before I do. She would hang with me in the winter, but for summer she has decided to sleep under the hammock. I hang low, leave the fronkey style bugnet I have from BIAS open a bit, and insert half of a walmart foam sleeping pad inside the bugnet so it creates a mini tent for the dog. The bugnet has held up well so far, no rips from either the ground or the dog claws. I do keep the dog leashed to my suspension during the night, so she can't just go charging through the bugnet, although she has shown no signs of being inclined to do that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12