View Poll Results: Which type of camping would you prefer for the 2015 WI Spring Hang?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Backpacking Site

3 42.86%
  • Pick a spot along the trail

2 28.57%
  • Public Campground

2 28.57%
    Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

Question WI > Langlade County>White Lake Area>2015 WI Spring Hang>Date TBD>Location Poll

The purpose of this thread is the poll on which type of camping we are going to do at the 2015 WI Spring Hang.

Well, guess I'm just too dang impatient this week, can't keep myself from posting about the Spring Hang. Things are greening up, bugs are getting pesky and I need a hang in some woods. May as well be Up North. As I stated in the thread that kicked all this hubbabaloo off, the only problem with northern WI is there are just too many options for hanging at. In trying to narrow down the best sites I keep coming back to the main juncture in the decision making: which type of camping.

Most of the public campgrounds in WI are real nice. Also, I realize that we'll probably see the most attendees if that's what we go with. If that is what the group decides, I'm fine with that.

That having been said, I personally am much more enthused about backpacking, dispersed and primitive camping. WI DNR and USDA FS are not consistent in their uses of the terms but I'll boil it down for y'all best I can. Dispersed and Primitive Camping are wherever you want - there are no established sites - as long as you are far enough from the trail, roads, vehicles and/or water. Anything from 50-200 feet depending on what area and which terrain feature. Dispersed and Backpacking Sites are static sites along trails that are walked in to. Anything from a post with a sign that we need to stay "within sight of" to BWCA style clearings with a fire ring (and maybe a picnic table) to Appalacian Trail style which is BWCA style plus an Adirondack or three sided shelter.

Primarily I am looking at using the overflow parking (assuming they have any) at the Boulder Lake or Boot Lake campgrounds and hiking into the backpacking sites near there. Tons of hiking and fishing in those areas.

About ready to give up on the IAT from Bakers Lake to Peter's Marsh for a group hang because it looks pretty dry. Water for drinking and washing up may be a problem, so not much chance of fishing either. Could cache water very easily if the group is small and keen on through hiking this section. Just don't see it as being a good choice if the group ends up being large.

(There is a section of the IAT over by Medford that allows primitive camping and has abundant ponds, lakes and rivers along it. Thinking of saving that for the 2015 WI Summer Hang though. Oops! Guess the cat's out of the bag. By the way, a favorite summer camping spot of mine is High Cliff SP near Appleton. Prevailing breeze pushes the cool air off of Lake Winnebago - natural air conditioning!! Just a couple options floating about in my noggin' for now...)

Happy Trails y'all !!

Original thread:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...shing-and-hang

Date Poll thread:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...WI-Spring-Hang
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Voted for public campground, but dispersed is fine. Rookies might be trying out gear...

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I, for one, hope a bunch of rookies show up to try out their gear! No matter where we end up going. If I need to haul in some extra gear to make sure everyone enjoyed themselves, comfortably, so be it.......... although I'm in no way volunteering to be loaded down like a sherpa

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

Thumbs up

True Tumbleweed. Also not everyone goes out with a topo and compass to find geodetic survey markers for fun like I've been doing for decades. Finding a 5" square in 2 square miles of wilderness.... Once we settle on the site I'll be buying the topo for that area.

Great point Goobie. Where better to shake out your gear than among a bunch of experienced hangers, hikers and campers?? Most of us bring extra stuff for others to try or will if asked. The weather should be mild (for WI anyhow) with highs in the 60s to 70s and lows in the 40s to 50s. Of course that's just a lifelong Wisconsinite's edumacated guess at this point since the weekends are spread out across two months.

Hey all you noobs! Give a holler if getting deep into the woods (if that's the route we take), gear or whatever are holding you back. We're here to help, that's what makes this forum so awesome. Whether it's advice or hands on, help packing your stuff in because you have a bad back or bum knee, whatever it may be - let us know. We can't help if you don't ask and we love to help!!

None of the sites I've been looking at (except the IAT) are more than a 15 min easy walk from the nearest road. Oh, we probably will park a few miles away and hike in for the fun of it but that doesn't mean everyone has to. I'm sure we can figure out a ride to dump you and your gear as close as possible to the hang site if that is the only issue holding you back.

Thanks for the interest and taking the time to vote guys.
    Last edited by Dux; 05-01-2015 at 21:17.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    In addition to hammocking, camping, hiking and fishing ideas being tossed around, I'm sure there will be plenty of other woodsy stuff also. Some of us are experienced woodsmen with lots of skills to share if there is interest. Wild edibles, primitive fire ignition, how to interact with wildlife, navigation, wilderness survival, short to medium term wilderness self reliance, etc. Maybe try some wild fish you caught yourself cooked over a campfire you built yourself using an unusual form of ignition (flint and steel, fresnel lens, flashlight reflector, etc) and materials gathered on site with Ramps (onion flavor) and Wood Sorrel (lemon flavor) also gathered on site. Fatwood is abundant and free for the gathering thereabouts. At least a few of us are experienced enough at doing so to successfully guide you if that interests you. Or just have a relaxed, quiet weekend in the northwoods. It's up to you.

And, of course, plenty of tall tales to share as well!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Seems we've settled on backpacking sites near Townsend, WI on May 29-31.
    Main thread:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...63#post1454963

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Hey all you noobs! Give a holler if getting deep into the woods (if that's the route we take), gear or whatever are holding you back. We're here to help, that's what makes this forum so awesome. Whether it's advice or hands on, help packing your stuff in because you have a bad back or bum knee, whatever it may be - let us know. We can't help if you don't ask and we love to help!!
    I know there's been a bunch of new members from southern WI this winter, and, dare I say it, northern IL. Where are ya?? This looks to be a great chance to hang in the north woods, without going all the way up north. Enough experienced guys to help with setup, and a decent amount of trail time...... not to mention what should be outstanding fishing compared to what we have further south.

Hammock
    WL Snipe/Modded ENO DN
    Tarp
    SOOPAFLY/WLTadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 3/4 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    Haha! Well I'm not new, probably one of the S. WI hangers your talking about.I've been watching this post. Unfortunately I have already planned a car camping trip to Door County with the family the weekend that was settled on. So sadly I'm just watching from the sidelines!
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence."-Robert Frost

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    *chirp* *chirp* *chirp*

(Crickets chirping. As everyone knows, crickets are nervous types and only chirp when nothing is moving.)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

• + New Posts