Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

DangerBird Delight

Now I realize that I’m not going to be telling most of the HF family anything new when I tell you that I have had a truly top notch experience with Papa Smurf and Dream Hammocks, but I wanted to share my story to let everyone know how thankful I am for their high quality work and amazing customer service.

So my story starts at a Palmetto State Hangers (PSH) Hang in January and a few members raving about the comfort of their DangerBirds. Not easily sold, I started to research them on HF and the rave reviews kept coming.

Finally, I couldn’t take it any longer and I contacted Papa Smurf at the end of February. We exchanged several emails and he was always extremely helpful. I never felt like I was being sold to even when I could have easily been convinced to add extra features. I soon placed order # 1685 with the help of my now 7 yr old daughter picking out the colors.

Then the wait was on. 6 weeks felt like forever and I was especially anxious, since I had Spring Cub Scout Camp the weekend after my hammock was supposed to be done and I had promised my HH Explorer to my wife. The thought of going to ground still sends shivers up my spine. I watched the progress of my order status every week and even got concerned after the Dream-Hammock.com website got updated and my out-of-date Explorer wouldn’t pull it up. Finally, the week before my camp out, with my hammock on the slate to be built the following week, I contacted Papa Smurf again. I asked if there was any way that my hammock could be shipped early in the week to make my camp out. I received a quick reply that it would not be an issue.

Shipped on a Tuesday and received on a Thursday. Whew, I had a day to spare.

DH1.jpg

When I opened my package, I felt like a kid at Christmas. It was raining, but I was not going to be deterred, so I stretched out the dining room chairs and inspected my new DangeBird. The quality was evident immediately. My daughter offered to take it, if I decided I didn’t like it; I just shot her one of those “Get Real Kid” fatherly looks. My wife felt the HyperD material and was impressed with the softness. This worries me more than anything and that is why I have yet to offer to let her lay in it.

Being my first DangerBird, I did have a couple of pleasant surprises. First was the way the double layer was done. I had seen a couple of other hammocks with just one slit for inserting your pad and didn’t realize there was a better way. The DangerBird allows you to access all 4 corners for quick and easy pad installation and adjustment. I have tested this at home, but have not slept in it this way. Second, the DangerBird is designed so that the head of your hammock is dependent on whether you’re using the net or the overcover. Thus, I admit I mixed up where I asked for the extra zippers to go. I just count this happy mistake as a learning opportunity for which sides I’ll really want the zippers on next time.

So during the Cub Scout Spring Camp out weekend, I hung next to my wife under my Noah 12 in a V (shown below before I put up the tarp). I cannot put into words how well I slept. It truly was a “Dream Hammock”. (Yes, I know this is a horrible pun.)

IMG_20150417_162606_017.jpg

I would have posted my review sooner, but I just couldn’t get enough. I took the family out the following weekend. I hung solo this time. Below is my set-up with the last picture showing my wonderful Wilderness Logics Summer Series UQ that kept me warm.

IMG_20150424_174618_231.jpg

IMG_20150424_174733_020.jpg

IMG_20150426_071341_336.jpg

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Very nice looking hammock,, you were very wise not to let the wife test it out
    JUST SAY NO!, it wont end well for you once she gets in it.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Thank you very much drlupton.
    Just let the wife give it a try. It'll be ok, I promise.

If those extra zipper sliders get too annoying, just get ahold of me. If you have some patience with me, I'd be happy to talk you through switching them to the other side. Otherwise, let's meet down at the PSH Fall Sprawl and I'll have my tools along.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Xenon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ 4S T/B
    Suspension
    MultiBuckle
    Nice hang! You got your order in right before me (1686)! I did let the wife try it (she's getting the Hennessy) and the first thing she said was, "Are you sure this is big enough for you? It fits me perfectly." Hrm...

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Great review and congrats! I got my Dangerbird right around the same time as you got yours (#1671) and I love mine as well.

Can't go wrong with a DH.
    “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.” – Winston Churchill

Hammock
    11' DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Thank you very much drlupton.
    Just let the wife give it a try. It'll be ok, I promise.

If those extra zipper sliders get too annoying, just get ahold of me. If you have some patience with me, I'd be happy to talk you through switching them to the other side. Otherwise, let's meet down at the PSH Fall Sprawl and I'll have my tools along.
    Papa Smurf,

I don't imagine it will be long before I'll be placing another order. I just have to budget it in. I know that I still have to invest in 2 more hammocks as my kids are ready to hang.

I'll let you know if the zippers ever bother me or I make up my mind which side I like them on. I only mentioned it to inform the next would-be DH enthusiast who misses your note online.

I look forward to meeting you in person at the PSH Fall Sprawl.

Quote Originally Posted by bananachunks View Post
    Nice hang! You got your order in right before me (1686)! I did let the wife try it (she's getting the Hennessy) and the first thing she said was, "Are you sure this is big enough for you? It fits me perfectly." Hrm...
    bc, that is exactly what I'm worried about.

Hammock
    11' DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SundaySauce View Post
    Great review and congrats! I got my Dangerbird right around the same time as you got yours (#1671) and I love mine as well.

Can't go wrong with a DH.
    Thank you SS, I couldn't agree more. I love my DangerBird.

• + New Posts