Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    I would be curious what the poles are made out of and if these could be swapped out for something lighter. Gotta figure the poles and the bag are where most of that weight is
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Off hand, that looks very much like the poles and hardware used in Portaledge construction.
    To me this looks like a hybrid of the two ideas (bridge and portaledge) at 7lbs, well as mentioned that is SUL for nice couch.

In general, REI is pushing a car camping line up. Whatever gets folks outdoors is fine by me...
    but loading up the station wagon and six crates of gear to take the family "camping" isn't a shocking new concept either, lol.

Sides, if REI and the like made gear for us, there'd be no cottage vendors and nothing to talk about but how big our REI dividend check is

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    REI's Evergrn product lineup is not targeted at backpackers. Some of their products might work for backpackers, but the intended target is budget conscious people who spend time in the outdoors for any manner of pursuits. Evrgrn sounds like REI's take on mass market gear from Coleman or Eureka. As such, it should be great for the car campers or the short haul basecampers.

http://www.rei.com/b/evrgrn?r=b&ir=b...Aevrgrn&page=1

It is kind of similar to their "REI Co-Op" brand that they just rolled out for clothing. They make a 650 down jacket with a DWR nylon shell for $100. It doesn't have the greatest specs (for lightweight backpackers) but is fine for everybody else. They also make a wide range of other clothing in their "Co-Op" line that targets essential clothing pieces for outdoor pursuits. (i.e. wicking shirts, base layers, socks, hats, 100wt fleece, etc.)

http://www.rei.com/search.html?q=REI...scrollYPos=666

Hammock
    DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing
    Looking at the pictures on REI.com the material is probably what weighs so much. Looks to be a heavy duty canvas rather than a light-weight nylon or polyester.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images

A Few Thoughts...

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but as I just received my very own Downtime Hammock, I figured I would chime in. Especially since no one else has spoken up who has real world experience. As a side note, the hammock is now on sale for like $30, which is why I thought it might be worth a shot.

First off, there is no way I would sleep in this thing. It's not all that comfortable to lay down in. With pad, it might be OK.

Second, it's a funky shape. It is functionally a trapezoid. So, if you were laying down it like normal bridge hammock, the right side would be significantly shorter than the left. This was confusing at first until I thought about the few pictures I had seen of it in use. It is made to be used as a couch. Not a bed. Sitting on the long edge of the trapezoid, it turns out to be a very comfortable couch. That's why have taken to calling it a Tree Couch, not a hammock.

Three, this is definitely meant for car camping. The material is a double layer of what feels like an oxford or even cordura fabric. It is burly. The spreader bars are like 1"+ in diameter. And permanently attached with rivets to the hammock body. I have sat in it, along with my wife and my 85lb pup, and wasn't concerned at all about the strength. Or about the dog's claws doing damage to the hammock body.

Four... I really like it. Used appropriately (as a Tree Couch) it is an easy way to provide 3-4 seats around camp. As a couch, you are sitting up right, and part of conversations, rather than tucked away and secluded in a cocoon of comfort. For $30, and as a piece of camp furniture (rather than part of a sleep or shelter system) I think it's great.

Just don't get one expecting it to sleep like regular bridge hammock. Won't work.

Hopefully this clears up some the mystery around this hammock (weight, size, use).

Happy hangin'

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    SLD Simp. Asym.
    Insulation
    EE Rev / Revolt
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Whoopi
    I got one since the price dropped to $30 also! I agree with all the points Matt K made. Hung it between posts in our backyard patio. This is one I don't worry about the kids ruining, it's beefy. The giant carabiners are great (again, never assuming weight is an issue.) the straps and biners will find a second life should I ever stop using this couch.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I purchased one during the $30 sale. Not so impressed with it as a hammock couch, maybe if I had a honey to cuddle with in it!

But I used the straps and carabiners with my 1st hammock this year until I figure out what suspension system I want and those items have been great!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    Well I would snuggle with you Karla, but I move to much lol, Ill let you snuggle with Doc tho, specially after a long day of hiking lol.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    After using this hammock couch for a year, I'm keeping mine. It's enough of a novelty at group hangs that it was worth the $30 I paid.

It is often difficult to find trees near the the group camping area to accommodate the hammock, but when it gets hung, it gets used.

I can see why those who didn't get one at such a low price would want one.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

I am trying to make a hammock couch, and the Downtime is one of the few examples I've found. Since I don't have the ability to see it in person, can those who have used it help me understand it?

The main question I have is what happens when 2 (or more) people sit on it. Does everyone slide toward the middle? If not, any idea why? Is it because of the heavy fabric, or is there some design trick?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12