LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various

help what am i doing wrong ?

I was out this past couple of days at my favorite lake and for the life of me I could not get my hammock high enough or even worse when I tried to re-adjust it I could not undo my cinch-bug ( first time using this )I had had a 1/8/ speed hook on 1 end and a the cinch bug on the other ,just to try it out ,( I have never used any type of chinch -buckle before ) so after a lot of messing about the only way I could release the bug was to undo the speed hook,,so then I thought I would remove the bug and go to a whoopee sling ( tried and never let me down before ) well I wanted to make an adjustment at the whoopee sling end and it would not release I could tighten it but there was no way it would loosen up for me ,I acutally had to cut it ,i put a brand new whoopee on 1 end and had the same problem ( would not release ) I have never had this happen to me before ,I wonder if it has to do with the load factor i.e I have went to a lazy slug tube.so I had my hammock, bug net, new river long u.g.and a regular sleeping bag all in the tube ,it was getting dark so I made do with a very un-comfortable night hang ,then the next day i tried again and i finally got the cinch-bug to move a little ,so took the cinch bug off and went to just speed hooks ( both ends and then i could not adjust them tight enough ,my tree span was approx. 18 20 ft i have hung in this very same spot many many times ,so now i was getting p.o. so i took everything out of the tube and just setup the bare naked hammock with 1 end a speed hook and a cinch bug the other, setup was a success although then i had to start adding all my stuff again, everything seemed fine until i had to pack up and the cinchbug would not release ,thank god i had a speed hook on 1 end.

my question is why would the whoppie not release ?
    is there a trick to the cinch bug ,( i watched the video a lot )

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Wow, you mention a lot of suspensions there. All I know is that whoopies won't release under tension, and it sounds like the weight was the problem. I've never tried to adjust whoopies with bugnet, UQ, and TQ but I imagine it's difficult.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    The more weight you put on whoopies, the more difficult they are to adjust. I've never had one to completely freeze up though, not even close. Never played with cinch bugs, so I can't comment on those.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    "Wow, you mention a lot of suspensions there " lol i also left out the hammock anchor lol ,i bought a bunch of different stuff over the winter and was just anxious to try stuff out to see what i liked best ,now i have made what was a very simple set up a royal pain in the buttocks ,the funny thing was i have been using the speed hooks in my home set up without any problems ,but the span in my basement is max about 14 ft ,i think i will just go back to whoopies and not load anything into it until i got it asjusted,when i think about it when i used to pack up ,i would pack everything separate ( termarest pad, sleeping bag )and just have my hammock and bug net in a snake skin,and never had a problem, sometimes the simplest set up is the best ,but it is hard not too fiddle with your set up and try different things,i think i have learned my lesson ,( for now )

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Wasted Whoopie. Unload first before you grab the sharps. The only way they work is if they won't slip under load.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    First time I tried a longer span than I was accustomed to, I couldn't adjust my whoopies either. They had always worked for me and then they didn't. I couldn't figure it out. Finally somebody told me to add a continuous loop to reduce the tension. Problem solved.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Tipton View Post
    The more weight you put on whoopies, the more difficult they are to adjust. I've never had one to completely freeze up though, not even close. Never played with cinch bugs, so I can't comment on those.
    that was my first try out with the chinch bug thing also ,as for the whoopee sling the more i think about it had to be the weight factor, I had bear spray, hot water bottle, and a 30-06 rifle laying in the hammock so i guess its a valuable lesson learned .at the time i just could not figure out what i was doing wrong, never even dawned on me about all the extra weight .live and learn i guess

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    First time I tried a longer span than I was accustomed to, I couldn't adjust my whoopies either. They had always worked for me and then they didn't. I couldn't figure it out. Finally somebody told me to add a continuous loop to reduce the tension. Problem solved.
    Where did you "add a continuous loop to reduce tension" ?

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    Where did you "add a continuous loop to reduce tension" ?
    I even tried that ,it did not work for me I had more than enough length already ,I think my main problem was definitely the weight,I tried the set up at home and tried it loaded ,had the same problem with whoopies and chinch bug ( would not release ) then I tried with just the hammock and bug net ,and like magic everything worked ,so at least now I know what the problem was ,just had never seen anyone else with this problem before ,so I thought it had to be me having a senior moment ,which I have quite a few of these days

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The 30-06 is definately too much weight to adjust the hammock. Put the hammock end under your armpit to take off all the weight.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast