11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings

Help choosing bugnet

Living in GA, I think a bug net would be a good idea now that summer is quickly approaching. I had an ENO one that I sold due to selling my ENO and going with a 11 foot Dutch Argon (which I really like). I liked the ENO bug net with the zipper and full coverage. I was curious if anyone had good experiences with any bug nets. I'd prefer not to spend too much on it if I can get away with it since I camp without one during a lot of the year.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have two BIAS Buginators and one NanoBuginator (both $64.95). They work great. However, Dutch offers a similar Fronkey-style (Dutch calls it Fronkey Syle - typo on the webpage) bottom-entry bugnet that is cheaper ($50). From what I can tell, they're both very similar.

Most zippered bugnets cost more and weigh more. I've been using the Buginators for three years (the mosquito is the state bird of NJ) and haven't gotten a single mosquito in my net. However, I do spray my bugnets with permethrin and recommend that everyone does the same.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    If you have even minimal sewing skills, I like the Fronkey style net. I left a hole to cinch at the end so I can slide it on and off of my hammock at will and tuck it into my Black Bishop bag.IMG_20150223_083248600.jpg
    IMG_20150223_083142968.jpg
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    BIAS Buganator and NanoBuganator. Dutch Fronkey Style. All have bottom closures that remain open to one extent or the other. Treat whatever net you decide upon with Permethrin and you will be good to go. Really good, it will kill them not just keep em out.

Skeeters aren't too smart. They go pretty much directly towards their target and seem to be completely baffled when that doesn't work. Ticks a bit more industrious but no match for the Permethrin. I consider it safer than slathering my body with Deet, and actually works better.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Skeeters aren't too smart. They go pretty much directly towards their target and seem to be completely baffled when that doesn't work. Ticks a bit more industrious but no match for the Permethrin. I consider it safer than slathering my body with Deet, and actually works better.
    Nice description of why the Fronkey-style bottom-entry bugnet, combined with permethrin, is effective. It seems like they'd figure out that there's a big hole in the bottom entry, but they just can't adapt. They go for the full frontal assault and die the horrible death when they hit the permethrin. Nothing like finding mosquito carcasses around your hammock in the morning!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    OK cool. Looks like I'll go with the Dutch bugnet. Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered lots of stuff from him and he's the best.

i ran across this the other day. i'm going to order one just to see what it's all about.

http://www.amazon.com/Kijaro-Jungle-...ammock+bug+net

Hammock
    11' DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by arolfsen View Post
    i ran across this the other day. i'm going to order one just to see what it's all about.

http://www.amazon.com/Kijaro-Jungle-...ammock+bug+net

Curious to see how it does? Please let us know.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Shroud View Post
    If you have even minimal sewing skills, I like the Fronkey style net. I left a hole to cinch at the end so I can slide it on and off of my hammock at will and tuck it into my Black Bishop bag.IMG_20150223_083248600.jpg
    I bought one from Dutch, and after using it, wish it had an end open that is "cinchable" like yours. I use whoopies and marlin spike hitch, so if I want to remove the net but keep it available, I can unhook one whoopie sling from a tree strap and feed it back into the net and out the bottom, slide the net to one end, and reattach the whoopie, but it's kind of a pain, especially if I already have my under quilt hooked up and top quilt laying in the hammock.

An open end with some shock cord and a cord lock would be slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Shroud View Post
    See I'd be more willing to pay $55 for something like that then the other one

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast