Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hammock Gear Incubator Fit with Hennesy Side zip

Hello. I was hoping to ask if anyone has used a hammock Gear incubator with the Hennessy Hammocks. I am concerned the flared corners in the middle of the Hennessy will affect how the underquilt wraps around the hammock. Is there any issue with this? If so, are there any solutions?

Side question- There are not too many videos of proper hanging of an underquilt with a Hennessy hammock, or at least that I have found. Maybe my searching skills are bad, but if any pro would be willing to make a quick how to, I would be forever grateful!

Thanks for any and all help.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When I had a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip, I stopped using the hammock-tie outs. It seemed a lot simpler than trying to get the UQ to snug up against the tie-outs.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

yeah that is what I was afraid of... last thing i want loose lashings and such hanging around. Maybe it is time to switch to the warbonnet blackbird...

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I use a HH most all the time with a HG underquilt. Never use the side tie outs even when not using a quilt.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stabzmcgee View Post
    yeah that is what I was afraid of... last thing i want loose lashings and such hanging around. Maybe it is time to switch to the warbonnet blackbird...
    The WBBB has tie-outs too. Same issue, different hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a HH Hyperlite Zip and my Incubator arrived a few days ago. I had a few spare minutes, saw this post, so I thought I'd go ahead and see how it attaches. This is my first UQ, so don't laugh too hard at my inexperience.

First, I attached each end of the Incubator to the hammock at the gathered ends via an S-biner (came with the Incubator). When attaching the second S-biner, I noticed they were different colors and passively wondered why.

2.jpg

I then pulled the shock cord on either end through the buckle looking thing in the below picture. Best I can tell, this lines up the Incubator to the hammock.

3.jpg

I then pulled the shock cord through the small cinch-thingy, which makes the opening of the Incubator on that end close up (see above photo). When I went to do the same on the other side, there wasn't a cinch-thingy there (see below photo). My guess is the cinch-thingy is the foot end since my upper body weight should put enough tension on the hammock to lower the other end to the Incubator. I also guess this is why the S-biners are different colors...so when I set it up I'll know the tan S-biner goes to my foot end.

4.jpg

Along both sides of the Incubator, are little triangle thing-a-ma-jigs.

5.jpg

I'm guessing these things are to attach it to the hammock, but I haven't a clue how to go about doing so. I did have an epiphany and wondered if I could at least attach one of them on either side to the hammock pullouts, but they don't line up. In fact, the hammock pullout point is in the middle of two triangle thing-a-ma-jigs, so it's not even close. Grrrrr!

6.jpg

Here's the way it sat...

1.jpg

I laid in the hammock as it's set up in that photo and it wasn't uncomfortable, but I wasn't in it long enough to say I'd have a good night's sleep in the thing. I won't know that until I can get out into the woods and give it the shot it's worthy of. For those who don't like the cocoon feeling, they'll likely have issues not being able to use the hammock's tie outs, but that's not much of a concern of mine. I'll likely just take the shock cord off the tie outs when using the Incubator and all will be well. The thought of exchanging my hammock for one that will allow me to attach the triangle thing-a-ma-jigs to it has not even crossed my mind. I like the Hyperlite and will keep it until the day it fails me.

Please, if I've set this thing up completely wrong, let me know. I wear my amateur hanging status on my sleeve and am not embarrassed by my inexperience, but rather am hungry for any helpful pointers to steer me in the right direction.

BTW...even with this having been my first experience with attaching an UQ to my hammock, it took me less than 3 minutes to put it on and cinch up the cords...quite easy.
    Last edited by P Chang; 04-27-2015 at 23:10.

I was watching some brief setup videos and I would say my only concern (from the pictures) of the way you hang is that it seems like the underquilt is too high. You don't want to be putting your weight on the actual underquilt. I have only set mine up with the underquilt once so take my words with a grain of salt. I would just hate to see an underquilt be ripped.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG UQ/OQ
    I have an ultra light zip and an incubator. Works just fine even with the tie outs. haven't had any issues. Also using an under quilt protector from 2QZQ.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P Chang View Post
    Along both sides of the Incubator, are little triangle thing-a-ma-jigs.

5.jpg

I'm guessing these things are to attach it to the hammock, but I haven't a clue how to go about doing so. I did have an epiphany and wondered if I could at least attach one of them on either side to the hammock pullouts, but they don't line up. In fact, the hammock pullout point is in the middle of two triangle thing-a-ma-jigs, so it's not even close. Grrrrr!
    Yep, you're guessing. The triangles are for ground sleepers using a pad.

Quote Originally Posted by stabzmcgee View Post
    I was watching some brief setup videos and I would say my only concern (from the pictures) of the way you hang is that it seems like the underquilt is too high. You don't want to be putting your weight on the actual underquilt. I have only set mine up with the underquilt once so take my words with a grain of salt. I would just hate to see an underquilt be ripped.
    It's not too high. Might be too low, but it's not too high. The UQ, properly installed will lift the hammock up.

It's pretty hard to rip an UQ because the suspension is shock cord. There are plenty of us who have missed the hammock and sat on the UQ instead. Get off the ground, brush yourself off, and try again.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You might want to read this thread to familiarize yourself with the HG suspension.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=suspension

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast