Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Cuben fiber, status?

At this time I haven’t got any Cuben fiber products but I am looking into it so I am wondering.
    Cuben fiber has been on the marked for some years now but……..:
    A.: How does it age time wise and after use?
    B.: Does it remain waterproof?
    C.: What about strength?
    D.: What about glued seams do they last?
    E.: What is the best glue method today (tape brand)?
    It is expensive and at least if its DIY the cost is approx 3:1 (other vs. Cuben).

I like to be unnoticed (stealth) (at least to some degree) when a am out but from what I have seen a Cuben Fiber tarp is not the best choice so a few questions.
    I have seen some Cuben with camo print but it does not look anything like the nature around here.
    Also the green colors does not look very dark more transparent but I guess that’s in the Cuben fibers nature to be transparent.
    Can anything be done to increase the “stealth” effect without adding too much weight and not making it look like c…? After all the weight is one of Cuben fibers strong sides and damaging it would be a shame.
    Last edited by Snowball; 04-27-2015 at 08:36. Reason: spelling
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    A.: How does it age time wise and after use?
    It will last a long time if take care of. I have been using one for several years.

B.: Does it remain waterproof?
    Yes

C.: What about strength?
    In what aspect ?

D.: What about glued seams do they last?
    If done properly they will last

E.: What is the best glue method today (tape brand)?
    3M is one of the better ones but there are others. Here is link to some interesting info on working with cuben http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20R...t%20Tests.html

It is expensive and at least if its DIY the cost is approx 3:1 (other vs. Cuben).
    Expensive enough that by the time you buy the cuban fiber at about $25+ a yard, the bonding tape and the adhesive promoter you are better off to let someone like Hammock Gear make it for you IMO. If you mess up the seams on cuban you can not rip out a few stitches and redo like with silnylon.

I own two cuban tarps from HG and expect them to last for years.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    It works. It's not stealthy. HYOH

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The primary attraction of cuben fiber is that it's lightweight, which makes it especially attractive to hikers. I've had my HG Winter Palace a couple of years and it's still good as new. It's even been through a dime-sized hailstorm and passed with flying colors. I'm thoroughly sold on the durability of cuben fiber, and I'm definitely thrilled with the weight, and it is by far the easiest field-repairable tarp material out there.

As for the taped seams, they are very durable, unless you're stringing your ridgeline under the tarp. My first cuben fiber tarp was an HG standard, and I had the ridgeline under the tarp. The ridgeline was abrading the seam and pulling the glue away. I stopped using an under-the-tarp ridgeline when I got my Winter Palace.

For non-hikers, or people with concerns other than weight, it can fall short. For example, some people complain about the translucency - they can't sleep in the daytime with all that sun coming through, and they complain that it gets very hot under the tarp. Others complain that it doesn't provide them the privacy they require (though peeping toms would really have to use their imagination to get a thrill - it's not translucent enough to actually get a good ogle).

Others complain that it's loud in the rain. And if you're a "you can't see me" person, it falls short in that category as well (not to mention that the camo is 15% heavier and more expensive than the regular cuben fiber). So if you're a car camper, day sleeper, privacy or stealth seeker, it's probably not the tarp for you.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Hi guys
    Thanks.
    Regarding C I was thinking about the folds things like a tarp gets in a snake skin or whatever because in some places its hard not to fold or roll in the exact same spot and on the pictures I have seen it looks like it get more white and I assumed it was some kind of “folding stress”.

For me DIY is a big part of the fun but sometimes it is better/safer to buy the finished product. However because I live in Denmark (Europe) I have the issue with import taxes and what not and it doesn’t matter if its raw materials or a finished product but the rate is higher on a finished product. It happens they don’t pay attention to raw materials but they hardly ever miss finished products.
    Example: For a tent (Tarps are not listed but I assume it’s the same rate) $300 + $20 freight then we have to pay approx $128 on top of that in taxes and import fee.

I am not sure I can justify the difference when it can’t live up to my expectations (not stealthy)

I wonder how much jail time a Tarp smuggler gets or if its calculated by the grams

Cool link BTW
    Last edited by Snowball; 04-27-2015 at 10:04.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0 w/NS50 1st gen
    Tarp
    DIY MEMBRANE 0.9oz
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30*
    Suspension
    whoopie/Dutchbling
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    and it is by far the easiest field-repairable tarp material out there.
    I think this is a really important point and one that was not really even on my radar as a selling point. I plan on eventually getting a cuben tarp from HG as well. I received a cuben stuff sack from Zpacks with a slash in it and I chose to have them send me some cuben tape to repair it. Couldn't have been easier. Forget a patch kit with messy glue this is the way to go!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Have 2 DIY CF tarps and one rain cape. It's a strong, light, reparable material -- ideal, in my always humble opinion.

I use acetone to clean the surface before taping. My cleaning cloth reveals that surface grime is removed and I've not noticed any failure of the taped seams in two years.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

• + New Posts