Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle

Fat Boy Dumping His Hammock--What Now?

I've owned a Eureka Chrysalis bridge-style Hammock for years. Loved it. But 2 years ago, I made the mistake of grabbing the spreader pole above my head while turning over, and it bent in half... On my first winter camp... Not a good night. But okay. Mistakes were made. I researched on the forum and ordered a replacement pole that was three pieces. Been using it occassionally since, with no problems. Last weekend I went camping in the Shawnee National Forest, here in Illinois. Beautiful, even though it rained most of the weekend. Two minutes after climbling into my hammock and out of the rain, the replacement pole had a catastrophic fail. It was a sudden snapping at the center joined ends that sent the pole whipping past my face. I spent a second carefully checking to ensure my eyeball hadn't been torn out. And that's it. I'm done with this hammock. Ready for a change, anyway. I spent the night in my car.

So after seriously considering going to the ground, I've decided that I need a new hammock.

Because of that, I need your help. I'm 6'1, 260 lbs.

--I'm a three-season camper
    --I want to go lighter*. With straps and carabiners, I was at about 5 lbs in my Chrysalis.
    --I want to avoid shoulder-squeeze. But accept that I don't necessarily need a bridge to do that.
    --I have limited funds.
    --I accept that I'm going to need an underquilt and am resisting buying a new sleeping bag since I probably need a topquilt, BUT...I have limited funds.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

*I realized last year that I was a backpacker that wasn't backpacking much because there was so much IN my backpack that it had stopped being fun. So, no more 35+ lb packs for me. And if you're wondering, that was for 2-3 day trips! In summer!2015-04-19 18.20.56.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Dutch has excellent price points right now. I'd at least give him a call.

BIAS is another. SLD or Simply Light Designs can fix you up, all for around the same price points and weights light enough to qualify.

Dream, Wilderness Logistics, Warbonnet, just take a look at our vendors section, can all put you into their signature models for a bit more, and Papa Smuff basically makes every single unit custom to order, all for extremely reasonable pricing.

Now that you know what you don't want contact a few of the vendors and let them know. They know their products, can and will do what it takes to get you into something that suits your needs.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Thanks for the reply! Going to take your advice. A little out of the loop--never even heard of SLD. Haven't been nearly as involved as I'd like.
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    While Dutch makes some great hammocks I find them a bit too narrow for me at 6ft 2 & 275+lbs. I have been using a BB 1.7 DL for 5 years and lately I have also been using an ENVY S DL from Hammeck in the ACU Camo which is 64+ inches wide. Both are very comfortable and I find the ENVY S to have a massive amount of room inside to move around in.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Wow. We have very similar builds. The BB is the first hammock that came to mind when I thought about a new hammock. I'll take a look at the Envy S. Thanks. How's the lay for you? Can you get fairly flat?
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Can you get fairly flat?
    I feel like I get a slight flatter lay in the BB but I am still extremely comfortable in the ENVY S. I have more room in the ENVY S but I like the shelf in the BB. Hard to say which is a better hammock as the two hammocks are built differently. I don't think you would go wrong with either one.

Picture of my ENVY S at the Umstead Park Hang. I did use a UQ and TQ but I never did have to deploy the tarp past the way you see it in the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    If you can diy you can save some cash. I did a complete setup for my son for $250. That's hammock, uq, tq, tarp and suspension. All good to about 30*.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11 ft.
    Tarp
    12 ft Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Full Whoopie Hook
    Talk yo Randy at Dream Hammock
    Dave "Tbird911"
    Knoxville, TN

Any Day Above Ground . . .

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    You have nothing but options.

A sleeping bag works fine for a top quilt. If the zippers annoy you, that's what bugged me, then get a TQ.

The for sale forum here on HF has loads of gear at sub retail prices.

Underquilts are sweet but a pad works and some prefer them.

64" wide, 10-11' long, you'll be set. Have really wide shoulders? Go a bit wider on the fabric.

Heck a tablecloth hammock can be pretty darn comfortable, I still use mine.

Check out the vendors mentioned, keep an eye on the For Sale forum, set a budget, decide what you want, if something pops up, pull the trigger. Best of luck.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    One of our forum members makes large size bridge hammocks on a as needed basis. He will work with you and make what you need, you pay the materials cost only. If you like what he sends you I think you then pay him what you feel it was worth. For the life of me the name escapes me right now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast