Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Thanks. I've done some DIY gear, but have given up on the idea of really sewing anything. I'm thinking a Jarbridge UQ to start. Maybe buy a used one and use with my current sleeping bag as topquilt and my Grand Trunk UL, just to get an idea of how it feels. Then add on a good topquilt and a BB or some other hammock in the coming months.
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Is that Dr. Hammock on Youtube? I think he may actually live in Illinois.
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Thanks. That's good advice. Probably my biggest frustration with my Chrysalis was trying to use it with a pad inside the hammock. I'd just figured out how to get it held into place last fall. And now this has happened. I don't like fiddly and getting my hammock, pad, and bag to play nice was like trying to stack three marbles! I'm going to try an underquilt.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Oh! Not the guy I was thinking of--if I was thinking of anyone! Hope his MIL is feeling better...Hasn't posted for a while.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    I also am 6'1" 250lbs +/- 10lbs. My 60lb +/- 5lbs Drahthaar (hunting breed dog) sleeps in my hammocks with me. Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter-Pro is my go to during bug season. Trek Light Gear Double and Infinity Leisure the rest of the year. None have failed yet (SB-Pro is 4-5 years old, TLG is 3 yrs and showing some wear, Infinity is 1 yr). No shoulder squeeze, many comfy hangs in four seasons in each of them.

Never tried a bridge other than naps in the usual yard hammocks most nonhangers use. With the above 'mocks I put a rolled up flannel shirt or such under my knees. They're getting old (but I'm not! lol) and sometimes ache after long hikes, which hanging can sometimes exacerbate. That could be more the condition they are in after a lifetime of stompin' the woods than hanging. Easy fix at any rate. YMMV.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Nice, Dux. I think the first hammock I ever bought was a Skeeter Beeter knockoff...never used it because I could never figure out how to keep the netting up properly! Then bought my Chrysalis. Probably around here somewhere... What do you use for an underquilt? I think I am going to buy a Jarbridge--new or used before--I buy another hammock.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I am alittle over 400 lbs and have a diy bridge that holds just fine,, if the spreader bars are your only real issue and your willing to give your hammock one more try then do what i did,, go to Quest and buy a set of the bigger poles, al, .742 - 2 piece pole, then go to Lowes or home depot and pick up a piece of pvc that's just big ehough to slide your pole into, it may be a hair loos so you may need to do one or two wraps of duct tape just at the very end of youe pole, then once you slide it in it wont move.
    My bars are 42 - 44 inches wide and hold my 4-- lb butt just fine in my bridge.
    Y ou would be surprised at how much stronger the bars are once inside the pvc,,, you wont break them.!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    buy a set of the bigger poles, al, .742 - 2 piece pole, then go to Lowes or home depot and pick up a piece of pvc that's just big ehough to slide your pole into,
    Now THAT is an interesting idea. I don't want to get rid of my hammock, but that can't happen again. But I still can't figure out why it happened the first time...
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Dutch 11' NylonD
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislrob View Post
    Thanks. I've done some DIY gear, but have given up on the idea of really sewing anything. I'm thinking a Jarbridge UQ to start. Maybe buy a used one and use with my current sleeping bag as topquilt and my Grand Trunk UL, just to get an idea of how it feels. Then add on a good topquilt and a BB or some other hammock in the coming months.
    Just curious,
    How does your GT UL work for you?
    It's only rated up to 200 lbs...
    I bought a couple of them for my daughters and I've been afraid to even look at them for fear of instant explosion :-)
    You and I are about the same size, more or less...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast