Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

today will be my first hammock purchase!

I backpack all season through out ga, tn, and sc. Last week the terrain at Emory Creek Falls was nothing but unlevel ground full of rocks and roots. I made my decision to try a hammock. My only option for a hammock is a Hennessy. Why? I have several items that I need to take back to REI. I see the conscious here prefer the warbonnet black bird. I'm 5"10 1/2 and 210 lbs. I have to sleep on my side because I snore excessively and will wake up with a bad sore throat if I don't lol.

I plan on using this all season and in the future buying a better tarp. Will the expedition asym zip work for me? I will more than likely do some mods in the near future. Just trying to get my feet wet.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    I am a little taller than you and the Expedition was my first hammock. It served me well. I used the stock tarp for quite a few years without any problems and the coverage was just enough to for the hammock and a pack underneath. I made a tarp switch after I was in some bad weather for 2 days not being able to leave my hammock. With my hex I have a little more room to lounge when storms come in.

My first night in a hammock was TERRIBLE. Don't be surprised if you need a few nights to find your perfect lay. GOOD LUCK!

Awesome! Thanx for the reply. Since your a little taller than me, did you have plenty of room with the expedition? in warmer weather, do I need to bring my sleep pad for better comfort or is it only needed for insulation?

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    plenty of good tales and posts on first nights on hammocks and those with the same situation about what to buy
    and as SLCpod said it takes several times to get it good enough for a epic nights sleep - for me that was 4 times.
    and then theres the watering the midnight roses effect which will lessen as you and your body get used to the hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The HH Expedition Asym Zip was my first hammock, and I used it for two years. It's a good beginner hammock. I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs.

Once I tried other hammocks, I found the Expedition to be the most uncomfortable hammock I've ever slept in. I didn't know it for two years because that was the only hammock I'd tried. Being ignorant, I just got the postage stamp tarp rather than the Hex and was unsatisfied.

Don't get too convinced that you have to sleep on your side in a hammock. I'm a side sleeper in bed, and if I lay on my back I snore. However, in a hammock, I don't find side sleeping to be comfortable. I sleep on my back in a hammock, and tilt my head to the side to avoid the sore throat.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The HH Expedition Asym Zip was my first hammock, and I used it for two years. It's a good beginner hammock. I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs.

Once I tried other hammocks, I found the Expedition to be the most uncomfortable hammock I've ever slept in. I didn't know it for two years because that was the only hammock I'd tried. Being ignorant, I just got the postage stamp tarp rather than the Hex and was unsatisfied.

Don't get too convinced that you have to sleep on your side in a hammock. I'm a side sleeper in bed, and if I lay on my back I snore. However, in a hammock, I don't find side sleeping to be comfortable. I sleep on my back in a hammock, and tilt my head to the side to avoid the sore throat.
    If Hennessy sux so bad and uncomfortable... Why are they still in business? Every person that upgrades from that hammock to a wb bb... They all say how terrible hennesy is. I don't get it. To me, if they were they bad, they wouldn't be in business.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by hangwitme View Post
    Awesome! Thanx for the reply. Since your a little taller than me, did you have plenty of room with the expedition? in warmer weather, do I need to bring my sleep pad for better comfort or is it only needed for insulation?
    I wouldn't say that I had plenty of room, but sufficient for my height and weight. I found the trick with my Hennessy was to put my head into the space created by the pullout and I would lay flat. I usually cross my legs or lie on my left should in my Hennessy. I also found that I got a better night sleep when I pulled the Hennessy stock suspension as tight as possible. It also takes the sag out of the tarp. Others like to hang their Hennessy with sag. Good luck tweaking your suspension to how you like it.

I never used a pad in my Hennessy. If you do it then it would be for insulation rather than comfort. When I got cold I would put a reflective blanket under my bag which would stay in place nicely. I just got an AHE New River and have yet to test it on my Hennessy or XLC.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by hangwitme View Post
    If Hennessy sux so bad and uncomfortable... Why are they still in business? Every person that upgrades from that hammock to a wb bb... They all say how terrible hennesy is. I don't get it. To me, if they were they bad, they wouldn't be in business.
    I don't think SilvrSurfr is saying it is a horrible hammock for everyone, but rather it is one he now finds to be uncomfortable after having tried other hammocks. There are plenty of people who say they won't go back to Hennessy after trying other hammocks. Heck, there is one hammock that I felt so uncomfortable in that I wanted to burn it after one night (it will remain nameless for it is the hammock that shall not be named). For me the Hennessy is a lovely night sleep.
    Last edited by SLCpod; 04-25-2015 at 13:50.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've been using a HH Asym Zip for a few years now. I'm 5'9" at 170#. There is plenty of space and I sleep quite sound. I must confess I've not tried another name, but I do enjoy my HH. The only negative I have is the standard tarp is a bit small and I plan to upgrade in the future.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCpod View Post
    I am a little taller than you and the Expedition was my first hammock. It served me well. I used the stock tarp for quite a few years without any problems and the coverage was just enough to for the hammock and a pack underneath. I made a tarp switch after I was in some bad weather for 2 days not being able to leave my hammock. With my hex I have a little more room to lounge when storms come in.

My first night in a hammock was TERRIBLE. Don't be surprised if you need a few nights to find your perfect lay. GOOD LUCK!
    To add to SLCpod's suggestions, consider hanging in your backyard or a place close to home the first few nights. Preferably pick a night without rain so you only need to focus on hammock set up and using it. If you read the Forum, you'll see a lot of first nighters struggling with the hike in itself plus figuring our how to use the hammock in the woods. I hung in my backyard about 5-6 nights before going away from home. Was glad that I did. I was able to iron out how to hang, how to use insulation, how to get in and out of the hammock at night (nature calls) and how to properly set up my tarp for rainy weather.....all within 100 feet of my house. Have to admit that my first night I bailed. I was using a narrow pad and kept slipping off. Next night I fixed that problem.

I'm betting you'll enjoy your hammock, particularly if you pilot it in an easy to access spot. Good luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast