Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    There's more to that story than the chain stitch, if indeed that's what it is. That seam is along the line of a flat felled seam and it would not come open like an old bag of Purina Dog Chow. I agree, the seam looks quite robust. I'd like to deconstruct that seam and see what is going on, but I'm not going to go out and buy one just to take it apart. Thanks for the pictures. I am no longer shuddering but I think there is more there than meets the eye.
    The chain stitch is actually a pretty strong stitch, and ENO uses very heavy thread and triple stitching. I wouldn't worry about it failing. In reality the seam probably doesn't take much wear (my Yukon Double doesn't in that area, and I use it often). Besides, the ENO's been around long enough that if it was going to, I'm sure we'd have heard stories by now.

There are different variations and uses for a chain stitch, and closing sac's off is only one. Just like a basting stitch is a version of a lock stitch, it's all about how the machine is set up to sew, and the intended use of the stitch. I wouldn't be too quick to judge simply because it's a chain stitch.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    The chain stitch is actually a pretty strong stitch, [snip] Besides, the ENO's been around long enough that if it was going to, I'm sure we'd have heard stories by now.
    I don't argue the chain stitch is a strong stitch _when it is not compromised_. One of the neat features of a chain stitch is if you exert force in the wrong direction the stitch actually tightens and locks into place. The other direction is still strippable.

Plus I acknowledge ENO makes a fine and strong product. There is something about the pictures that makes me think there is something that doesn't show up. The folded edges are crisp and clean and look like they might be stitched into place. I would expect some ruffling or looseness if those triple stitches were all that that held it together. How they might invisibly stitched baffles me but I know there are innovative accessories available to do some neat stuff. My respect for ENO is what made me question their use of a chain stitch to start with. Having seen the pictures I am just left with a few other questions. I don't question the quality of ENO. I just wonder if there is something going on that is not clearly visible.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 04-30-2015 at 07:37.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

So if I were to go into a sewing machine shop and tell them I want a machine that can do the "triple stitch" will this be a clear enough description? I went to a shop and asked for this and apparently it was too vague of a description. They wanted to show me a triple interlock stitch machine. I would like to try something similar to this ENO, I think it looks great and customers will appreciate somehitng that not only is strong, looks strong as well.

I also didn't know there were variations of the stretch stitch either. Would one be suitable for a commercial hammock?

thanks!

Can the stretch stitch be used with any of these other stitches mentioned, the "chain", "triple stitch", "lock", etc?

I really just want a stitch that is not only strong but looks really meaty as well!

I know the lock stitch holds great, but id like a stronger looking one for my hammocks.

Also, how do people feel about sewing in pockets on the inside of the hammock? I dont see anyone else doing this, but not sure, and thought it could be useful when I was hanging the other day.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB & Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Images
    He is also my favorite. Nice...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I really like this one.

Welcome to the forums.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcarrawa View Post
    So if I were to go into a sewing machine shop and tell them I want a machine that can do the "triple stitch" will this be a clear enough description? I went to a shop and asked for this and apparently it was too vague of a description. They wanted to show me a triple interlock stitch machine. I would like to try something similar to this ENO, I think it looks great and customers will appreciate somehitng that not only is strong, looks strong as well.

I also didn't know there were variations of the stretch stitch either. Would one be suitable for a commercial hammock?

thanks!
    If you want to duplicate the stitching ENO uses for the purpose of commercially producing hammocks, you need to be talking to suppliers of industrial sewing machines and not to retailers of home sewing machines.

The only way to "triple stitch" on a home sewing machine is to run three individual rows of stitching. Again, you will need a specialized industrial sewing machine to do three rows at once.

Take an ENO hammock to a dealer of industrial sewing machines and they will be able to correctly identify the type stitch and the machines that can produce it. A home machine will not duplicate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcarrawa View Post
    Also, how do people feel about sewing in pockets on the inside of the hammock? I dont see anyone else doing this, but not sure, and thought it could be useful when I was hanging the other day.

Thoughts?
    Papa Smurf at Dream Hammocks has been offering pocket organizers on the inside of his hammocks for a while now along with ridgeline organzers and peak shelves.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Your post's are making me wonder: are you here trying to get information for starting a business, or for personal use?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    FYI, I looked at my ENO that I modified by cutting off the side material to narrow it. I did this long before I learned to sew so the stitching is coming undone. I pulled at a loose thread a it came off in one long piece on one side. It looks to be a chain stitch.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast