Hammock
    Grand trunk nano
    Tarp
    ?
    Insulation
    shenendoah JRB
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopies

Questions : Going lighter than HH ul Backpacker asym.

I just joined this awesome forum because I have an important decision to make.

I currently own a Hennessy Hammock ultralight backpacker asym classic with super shelter and it serves me great!

But in my ultralight madness I am looking to lighten my pack and next on the list is my hammock.

Right now I am looking at the Grand trunk Nano 7 and the ENO sub 7 ; all those hammocks have very similar sizes in specs, including my ultralight backpacker.

Now the question is : can I really compare those hammocks in terms of comfort to my Hennessy since it is asymetrical and not those two?

None of the above are available in stores so I cannot try them out before buying, so if they are not super confortable to sleep in, I might still make a camp chair / lounge out of them, so which is better? Grand trunk or ENO?

Thanks folks!

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Neither IMO. Too expensive for what they are.

Go look at dutchwaregear.com they have great, affordable hammocks and much better suspension systems.

Also the only difference between the shape of the Hennessy and the shape of any of these hammocks is the Hennessy has tie outs.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Not that the HH Ultralite Backpacker is all that long, but those ENO & GT hammocks are short, overpriced, and you'll still have to go out and buy a proper suspension.

It's not hard to go lighter than the HH Ultralite Backpacker, at 1 lb., 15 ounces. As Boston suggested, Dutch has some excellent, more affordable hammocks in 10 ft. or 11 ft. lengths:

10 ft. PolyD 9.3 oz.
    10 ft. Argon 9.7 oz.
    10 ft. NylonD 9.8 oz.

There's also the BIAS Weight Weenie Micro, an 11 ft. hammock that weighs just 7 oz. in 60 inch width. Personally, I've moved away from 1.1 oz. fabric in single-layer hammocks 'cause I'm just too hard on them (Dream Hammock recently stopped making single-layer hammocks made from 1.0 and 1.1 oz fabric, probably 'cause noobs weren't taking proper care of them. I guess I'm a noob too!).

My go-to hammock right now is the 11 ft. Dutch PolyD 1.4 that comes in at 10.16 oz. It's a comfy hammock, and with Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension and 4 ft. tree straps, weighs just 13.6 ounces.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    If you want to go lighter than what you have, prepare to spend money in certain areas.

First off, how heavy and tall are you? Your own weight heavily affects what setup you should get.

The thing with the HH is this: The hammock itself just has tie-outs, otherwise its a standard gathered-end hammock. A comparable hammock should feel exactly the same. The kit you have uses a asymmetrical tarp, which is almost half the weight of most as hex-tarps--what I'd say most people should use (as do I).

Do look into Dutchware. Dutch is stellar, his hammocks are some of the highest recommended around here. Look into a NylonD 1.6oz hammock. 10foot will be the lightest. Then if you want to go lightest on your suspension, get Dutch's Woopie-hook suspension (skipping the tree huggers in the options) and get a set of Kevlar tree huggers. Arrowhead-equipment sells the HUG half bugnet, which is the lightest bugnet option.

Then with tarps, the lightest tarps you're looking at Cuben Fiber tarps--which, they are waterproof (as apposed to silnylon and ploy-coated nylon like you're running, that are just water resistant). Though you're looking to pay a very pretty penny for one. Instead, you can get a Silnylon tarp from like Warbonnet or Wildernesslogics and titanium stakes. Not going to be the lightest, but won't break the bank.

Past that, I do have to remind you to look into your quilts/pads. A good set of top and under quilts with .67oz ripstop and 900 fill down will be your best bet for warmth.
    Last edited by Osulagh; 04-25-2015 at 19:30.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Osulagh View Post
    If you want to go lighter than what you have, prepare to spend money in certain areas..
    Yup, my lightest setup is this:

HG 40* Burrow 11.6 oz
    HG 40* Phoenix 11.7 oz
    HG Winter Palace 8.5 oz
    Dutch PolyD 1.4 hammock with whoopie hook suspension 13.6 oz.
    BIAS NanoBuginator bugnet 7 oz.

Total 52.4 oz.

That all cost a pretty penny, but as it gets colder I can dump the bugnet and I have 20* and 0* quilt sets as well so I only carry the insulation and bug protection I need. This is about as ultralight as I'm willing to go - I have the lightest quilts money can buy (for the expected temps), the lightest 4-season tarp, and the lightest hammock and suspension that I'm willing to use without sacrificing durability or comfort.

His HH UL Backpacker looks to be 31 oz., with 9.1 oz. rainfly, and 16.7 oz. Supershelter for a total of 56.8 oz. (not counting tree straps). So yes, he should be prepared to spend money in certain areas to get lighter, but he's also going to have to look at what other sacrifices he's willing to make to go lighter.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    I've been using an 11ft PolyD 1.2 hammock. Think it's 7oz. Plenty comfy.

Hammock
    Grand trunk nano
    Tarp
    ?
    Insulation
    shenendoah JRB
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    His HH UL Backpacker looks to be 31 oz., with 9.1 oz. rainfly, and 16.7 oz. Supershelter for a total of 56.8 oz. (not counting tree straps).
    I always thought that 31 oz included the rainfly...

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions! I am on the short and light side (5'6'' and 140 lbs). So I guess 11 feet would be overkill since I am pretty comfortable in my 9 ft HH. I already looked at new suspension systems that are WAY better than lashing and trying to keep the tension right.

If I can get a refund for my UL backpacker, I will definitely look at cuben stuff, diamond or hex... still not sure about that part.

I received my JRB shenandoah, love it! can be top or under quilt, I would need to make another one myself to go with it.

Can't wait to get away from Alaska and be reunited with my hammock in wood country!

Hammock
    HH Exped Classic, Dutch Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Forum Member Made
    Insulation
    JRB HR, Greylock3
    Suspension
    Rings, Whoopies
    Images
    I'm not nearly as experienced as others that have commented, but maybe that puts our perspectives closer.

I'm not sure that going lighter I the hammock would be my first step if I were in your shoes. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Dutch Argon 11'. Haven't even had a chance to try out my WBBB XLC. But what about looking at staying with the HH and looking at lighter tarps, suspensions, and insulation?

• + New Posts