G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    70 degrees is my cut off point, even then my bottom is chilly. Thin nylon fabric does not offer alot of insulation value. Any wind and that number changes fast.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel View Post
    On the inverse.. what's the coolest that you can comfortably hang without having things like underquilts and the like?
    I'm a cold sleeper who's having hot flashes (yep, I've hit that age)!!! So I always have some kind of insulation under me. I've made my under quilts and fixed them so that I can push them over to one side and out from under me. When I get cold, I reach under and just pull it back to where it belongs. I need something under me if the night temps are in the 70's. Even if it's still in the 80's, I'll have my uq, just in case!!!
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TYWRAP View Post
    I've used my HH once with less than stellar results ( way too hot in the hammock). Within 10 minutes I was roasting. I promptly ejected my sleeping bag and stripped down. Was still too hot and ended getting out staying up til about 3am than falling asleep for a hour ( sweating the entire time)

Anyone else suffer from heat stroke in one of these?
    I don't sleep well outdoors in the hot, humid Georgia weather. EVER! If I had to be out in that, I would try to set up near a stream, where there might be a tiny amount of air moving near the water. Anywhere that there might be a chance of air movement. As was previously mentioned- tarp up high or none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TYWRAP View Post
    PS:Also maybe it's my paranoid state but I felt like I was so exposed when just hanging there not being able to see out with my butt in the wind.
    I'm sure you're not alone in that feeling. You kinda get used to it though, and it's not as big of a concern once you get hanging more frequently. I once had something under my hammock nudging my butt repeatedly in the wee hours, and I have to admit, that incident comes to mind every time I go to get into my hammock now. Only for a moment though

Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel View Post
    On the inverse.. what's the coolest that you can comfortably hang without having things like underquilts and the like?
    For me, it's high 70's. No wind. Anything under that and I break out either the weathershield, or even the UQ. I can 'open the windows' (loosen the ends so they let a lot of air in) if it's too warm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12