11ft WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    kaq top n bottom
    Suspension
    web n buckles

Whoopie slings.... I'm in love......

So I got my hammock chair from hike and bike in the mail today.... Already have an age bushman but I couldn't pass this one up. Mostly I'm a sucker for a good deal.

It is my first experience with whoopie slings....

And oh my gosh. I'm in love! Why didn't I get these sooner???????

So I've been reading some of the stickies and did some searching and I have a couple of questions still.....

1) I'm going to make some... Should I use 1/8th or 7/64th? Goal is weight savings... And im up near 300lbs at times..........I spliced locked Brummel's for a structural ridge line earlier this month so making these should be cake....

2) common consensus seems to be that u want a 8-10inch constriction... Correct?

3) shortest possible hang distance would be acheived using huggers to marlin to whoopie larksed onto the hammock correct?

4) I saw a video where a guy was using 1/8th amsteel for a hugger...... The negative to this is tree damage correct?

5) I could potentially use shorter whoopies and bring a couple loops and dutch biners to extend my reach when needed right? Shorter whoopie would mean a shorter distance between trees ( if needed)

6) or alternately shorter whoopies and longer huggers with marlins.. Allowing for the shortest distance between trees.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Marlin spike hitch is a pain in the butt. I've converted to whoopie hook suspension, and can't imagine going back. Of course, whoopie hooks are made for 7/64 Amsteel so that rules out 1/8" Amsteel.

I always bring a few continuous loops to extend my tree straps. I used to carry 8 ft. straps and 8 ft. whoopies, but now I carry just 4 ft. straps and 6 ft. whoopies. I've never felt the need for Dutch biners; just larkshead the continuous loop onto the tree hugger. If I ever need to shorten up, I can always use a stick for a marlin spike, and hang my continuous loops directly on the MSH.

Big no to 1/8" Amsteel as a tree hugger.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11ft WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    kaq top n bottom
    Suspension
    web n buckles
    But would a speedhook setup give the closest tree to tree spread?

I supposed I could do the double hammock hooks. Wife would like that.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPaZeus View Post
    But would a speedhook setup give the closest tree to tree spread?

I supposed I could do the double hammock hooks. Wife would like that.
    Speed hooks wear out the line, and you're only talking an inch or two of "closer to the tree."

Hammock
    11ft WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    kaq top n bottom
    Suspension
    web n buckles
    My apologies I meant regular whoopie hooks.

I assume it would be the same difference though... Possibly gain 2 inches? I would think using the marlin would get you closest to the tree

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My apologies I meant regular whoopie hooks.

I assume it would be the same difference though... Possibly gain 2 inches? I would think using the marlin would get you closest to the tree
    Yeah, you can always bypass the whoopie hook suspension in time of need. However, my tarp has an 11 ft. ridgeline and I need 12 ft. between trees so I've never really encountered an issue with needing to bypass the whoopie hooks and hang off the continuous loops.

For making whoopie slings 7/64ths and this post....

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrewGuy View Post
    Hey guys,
    I've been slowly tinkering as I make my first DIY bridge hammock, and to complete the suspension I needed to make a pair of whoopie slings. So, since I got so much positive feedback on my previous videos, I figured I'd make a video and show you my process.
    In the video I make them out of some bright green Dynaglide, but you can follow the instructions the same if you are making them out of Amsteel. My method makes buying and measuring easy:
    Since these ropes are usually sold in 25ft. increments, I start with 25ft. and cut it in half. This gives you two 12.5ft. lengths for each whoopie, or sling, or whoopie sling. When all is said and done, you end up with rope that can be as short as 2ft. and as long as 6ft.
    I use 4+" buries on the fixed loop, and 10" for the main bury. I don't know the recommended specs from Samson rope, but in my experience this has been sufficiently strong for both Dynaglide, and Amsteel.
    Here's the video:

I'll just say that I struggled for quite a while trying to do these splicing projects. I tried all sorts of tools and techniques. It all comes down to having the right tool, and the wire I use was it. In the video I call it the "fish tool" because I install home theaters for a living, and it reminds me of the way I fish wires through walls. It's the wire that's used to suspend the framework for a drop ceiling. Its about 18 gauge if I had to guess, but it's fairly stiff and bends and re-bends easily without stressing. Tapering the ends also plays a big role in getting the bury started.
    I hope this helps anyone else that is struggling to make some DIY suspension. Thanks for watching!

1) I'm going to make some... Should I use 1/8th or 7/64th? Goal is weight savings... And im up near 300lbs at times..........I spliced locked Brummel's for a structural ridge line earlier this month so making these should be cake....
    I make fixed loops the same as in the video above for my structural ridge lines.

• + New Posts