SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Weekend trip to Pinckney State Park-4/17/15

Took a weekend trip out to Pinckney State Recreation Area. This was a perfect time/place to practice with new gear. This was my first solo trip as well as my first "backpacking" hammock trip.

I tested:

-Gregory Baltoro 75
    -Vasque St. Elias GTX Hiking Boots
    -HG Incubator 0 degree
    -Walmart trekking poles
    -REI Igneo 19° Sleeping bag
    -JRB Down Sleeves

Everything worked really well with the exception of the REI Igneo sleeping bag. While i have tested that bag in the bag yard at 20° in the winter, the wind during that test was being blocked by my tarp. This trip however, the wind was coming from foot to head right through the tarp. Unfortunately because of the campsite and other factors i did not have a choice with this. The wind hitting my foot box robbed me of heat from the top side (only at my feet). I was completely warm underneath however from the 0° Incubator as well as a bit of refectix in my foot box. In the middle of the night i zipped my rain/wind proof jacket around the foot box and this solved the issue completely.

I used the JRB sleeves in camp for gloves as i forgot my actual gloves. It also worked great as a pillow! The Wally World trekking poles also worked surprisingly well. This was a total of a 10 mile round trip hike and my Vasque's were really up to the challenge. What made it even better is the fact that i got those boots for $0.46....YES thats right 46 cents... Combination of 20% off + $150.00 REI dividend + remaining few bucks on an rei gift card....SWEET DEAL!!!

Since i am new to backpacking, it was a bit odd at first with the Gregory pack. I am sure glad i watched a few youtube videos on proper adjustment the day before my trip! I will say that my hips were a bit sore from the overall weight (32lbs) but overall i feel pretty good. Can't wait to get back out there!

Camp cooking.JPG
    Campsite_1.JPG
    Campsite_1_Day.JPG
    Campsite_1_Hammock.JPG
    Campsite_1_night.JPG
    Campsite_2_Hammock.JPG
    Campsite_2_Hammock_2.JPG
    Hike_me.JPG
    Morning from the hammock.JPG
    Nap time.jpg
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Glad it worked out for you. Looks like you're on your way to some good times in the woods.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePantologist View Post
    This was my first solo trip as well as my first "backpacking" hammock trip.
    Good times! Always remember it and don't lose the photos. I have a horrible memory, but remember my first backpacking trip and my first hammock backpacking trip (to the same place). It means a lot to me, something noone else seems to understand (except everyone here!)

Pretty amazing weather for mid-April!

edit: FYI, when I said "to the same place" I did not mean to Pinckney. It seems to read that way now that I look back.
    Last edited by OneClick; 04-21-2015 at 07:51.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Good times! Always remember it and don't lose the photos. I have a horrible memory, but remember my first backpacking trip and my first hammock backpacking trip (to the same place). It means a lot to me, something noone else seems to understand (except everyone here!)

Pretty amazing weather for mid-April!
    And a big +1 on that
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Nice trip report. Wish I could have gotten out over the weekend since the weather was so nice. Blind Lake was my 1st solo trip as a ground dweller and I camped at the site down the hill from you in the grass. Great memories. Looks like you did ok up at the site on the ridge...I've tented up there before and those winds can be brutal.

Doing solo trips are a great confidence builder and since Pinckney is so close, it's a perfect place for dialing in your gear.

• + New Posts