Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab

Third Annual SoCal Hangers Group Hang - Cleveland National Forest - 2015

Just getting things started since people are going to start getting back today and hopefully posting pictures!

We had another successful hang this year out here in SoCal. I can confidently say that given the way things have been going there doesn't appear to be any reason that this event wouldn't continue for years to come. I don't know what the final head count was but I believe we were at about 20 people from all walks of life and as far away as Las Vegas!

Every time we do this I'm more amazed at the interesting, generous, funny, and kind people that show up every year. While we are all hammock nerds at heart, and perusing everybody's gear is always interesting and educational, to me the best part is meeting up with people year after year that would have had no chance of getting to know each other if it weren't for a common love of getting outdoors and tying ourselves up in trees.

Aside from the troubled teens boot camp next door (this weekend must have been the safest period ever in terms of petty crime because I can't imagine there was a troubled teen left in Orange County), it was a fantastic trip. And, truthfully, those neighbors will make for funny stories in the years to come. I'm guessing it will start to get humorous in about three or four weeks...

Special thanks to Pedro for fronting the cost of this operation. I had a rough year and it didn't look like I was going to be able to reserve the group site but Pedro swooped in and saved all of our hanging butts from having to stake out spots at Blue Jay.

We missed many of you and hope we can see you next year. In particular I was really hoping ToxicGranny would have been able to come because it would be an honor to meet the cultivator of the greatest screen name HF has ever seen. Especially if she brings pies! Granny, if you're reading this I hope you can make it out next year. You've got a lot of legend to live up to.

We talked about planning next year and threw out a few ideas. Pedro and I will talk about it over the course of the next year and figure out a plan of attack. If the group keeps growing like it is I wouldn't be surprised if we had to rent two of the group spaces next year. In fact, I think if we can swing it financially it would be a good idea to start planning that way. We'd be much less likely to have to deal with loud neighbors and it would fix some parking issues as well. We're talking about St. Patrick's day weekend next year so tentatively mark your calendars. We'll post in late 2015 about details. It might make sense to get a Paypal account going to reserve your space so we can get the best situation possible without having someone have to from the kind of cash that operation would take.

All in all, it was a great hang. And it's about time you folks from NorCal, Arizona, and Utah start making it out!

Yours in hanging,
    Addam

Hammock
    H/H Stock
    Tarp
    H/H Stock
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    Stock
    Whoa.... totally awesome....! I got the sense that some people can't wait until next year, and with some anglers in the group, it was suggested, and we put a fishing/hammock hang ? One that works for everybody, non anglers as well ? perhaps when we get some more pictures posted, might light some motivation under Hangers @zz, lol....
    "You Can't Be Hardcore... If you Don't Live Hardcore"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Huggers/Whoopies
    Lord of The Fire Dance!!
    image.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch 10' PolyD 1.4
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I guess roasting marshmallows wasn't enough for Kenny...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    That picture reminds me of an old Christmas carol....

Something about Chestnuts....

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    Host
    54.jpg
    Need tree to hang
    52.jpg
    Look up
    55.jpg
    Guess who
    53.jpg
    I have arrived
    51.jpg
    Night fall
    50.jpg

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Love the rug under the hammock! I might incorporate something like that in my car-camping ensemble. I'm probably one of the few guys who has a rug in his garage, so why not? Glad you all had a great time!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies
    Looks like a fun time. Thanks for sharing the report and photos. Love to see more if you have 'em.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm so sorry I missed this hang. I tried to make it from NY but unfortunately the timing was off by about a week. I'm heading to CA tomorrow. I'm really going to try to make it next year. Seems like a fun group.

Miguel

Thank you to everyone who made this trip so much fun. And special thanks to Addam and Pedro for organizing it all. I'm impressed that this get together is gaining quite a bit of traction. We had some familiar faces and some new ones, which means we are establishing a foundation and beginning to grow. Now that we have 3 years under our belts, it is a "tradition" and should continue to grow.

For those of you on the fence for joining us out there, come on out next year! A great group of people, lots of delicious food, tons of laughter around the campfire, and plenty of hammock/backpacking gear to geek out over. What could be better?

I look forward to our next get together. Until then, happy hanging!

Michael

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast