Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Armor Like Fire View Post
    ... although none of them have the weight per foot that I found but all were 3k+ break strength...
    If weight per foot is not a concern, you can get plenty of polyester straps with 3k+ break strength.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    With all due respect, It seems you're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

What do you expect to gain over polyester straps?
    I expect the OP was feeding a spirit of exploration. I have that spirit and non-existent problems. I typically feed them both w/titanium shipped directly from Lancaster County, PA.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Dyneema straps would solve the problems created by Kevlar straps: Stronger,lighter, hydrophobic, and more UV resistance. http://www.bainbridgeint.com/Variant...tem=PRD-900174
    I found them as well. Unfortunately, the webbing itself isn't listed in any of their subsidiary catalogs (that I found). I'm scared to see what the price compared to polypro or Kelvar would be though. Consider the prices for other Dyneema based products: 7/64" Amsteel is .20 per foot. CF is about $12 a half (roughly $8 per linear foot...not that you can buy it that way.). Zing-it/Lash-t .16 per foot when bought by the 180' spool. I imagine the webbing, since there don't seem to be many places that have it in suitable widths, would be pretty cost prohibitive.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Dyneema straps would solve the problems created by Kevlar straps: Stronger,lighter, hydrophobic, and more UV resistance. http://www.bainbridgeint.com/Variant...tem=PRD-900174
    OP hadn't mentioned kevlar at the time of my question.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I expect the OP was feeding a spirit of exploration. I have that spirit and non-existent problems. I typically feed them both w/titanium shipped directly from Lancaster County, PA.
    I'd like to think I have that spirit of exploration as well. However, in this case, I suspected availability in less than full rolls would be minimal and there's a fair chance of incompatibility with some hardware.

For the best compromise between price, weight, compactness. compatibility and availability, quality 1500 lb polyester webbing is going to be hard to beat. Therefore I asked "What do you expect to gain over polyester straps?" in an attempt to learn which of these priorities the OP hoped to improve on....which was answered in post #7 providing better parameters for a discussion.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This just isn't economically feasible at this time.

I did a lot of research before concentrating on kevlar as the candidate for the next big thing in hammock suspensions. Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE), branded as Dyneema and Spectra, is a superb material in many respects but suffers from one weakness - it has a low melting point (as do all forms of polyethylene). For our requirements that isn't a problem, but it is for the other applications that typically make webbing and cordage available on the market.

UHMWPE webbing used in climbing applications are woven with nylon or polyester to introduce more abrasion resistance. The cross-section of the webbing is also tailored for climbers' ease-of-use and typically to meet a 22kN (5000lbs) tensile rating. The end result is that climbing slings are no good to us. They aren't wide enough for LNT purposes and about as heavy as the polyester they would replace.

UHMWPE webbing used in industrial applications are extremely heavy duty. If you wanted a sling to lift diesel engines into ships you could probably find one made out of UHMWPE. Yes, it would be extremely lightweight in industrial terms, but not something you'd want in your backpack.

Aramids have a market segment that drives availability in the widths, weights and strengths that are ideal for our use. The Kevlar tape that I recommended to Dutch is only available to us as a direct result of that market existing. MIL-T-87130 was developed to specify a range of tapes used in parachutes, a sizable market where weight and performance are both important. This means that we just needed to find a tape in that Milspec suitable for our needs and a vendor who made it. Even so, as observed above, it is still pricey when compared to polyester. (Although any time a backpacker halves the weight of an item in their pack for under $15, that's a win.)

I still haven't given up totally on the idea of UHMWPE treestraps, but kevlar in the backpack meets all my needs. Chasing UHMWPE would only be for the academic exercise of hitting the limit.

Images
    I did look into UHMWPE (Dyneema) webbing over here in Australia but it was just too expensive for very little gain.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    One other observation - that Bainbridge UHMWPE webbing doesn't have any weight specified. Napkin math based on its 4000lb rating and UHMWPE being 40% stronger than Kevlar suggests that it is unlikely to be lighter than the 2000lb Kevlar that Dutch stocks.

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    I'm not conserned about Kevlar at all it sounded great until the uv issue. Like I said I'm out for quite a while at a time sometimes and I don't want the straps rotting on me haa I know their might not be a whole lot of difference between dyneema webbing and poly, but the not absorbing as much moisture would be nice. But mostly I was just corious if anyone had any dyneema ones and how they liked them.
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    My brain hurts from reading this thread.
    "Everything works if you let it." - Corpus C. Redfish

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by muckypops View Post
    My brain hurts from reading this thread.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast