SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Clarification for b) no radiant heat where there is direct contact, or at least that's what I was suggesting. But don't take my word for it, listen to Boston who is an actual engineer...

Reflectix is 4/5 r-value when installed on ductwork with an air gap between the material and the duct. The material itself has an r-value of closer to 1.0.

The impact of the reflective layer is NOT accounted for in R-Value. R-Value is a measure of conductive insulation only.

A 5/8" CCF pad with a space blanket glued to it's surface would insulate you better than reflectix, and have the same radiative properties.

If the reflective layer isn't the first layer between your skin and any other insulation (but not in direct contact), it's not providing much benefit - as any barrier significantly reduces the heat radiation that reaches it (including clothes). Putting it under a pad, or outside your sleeping bag basically nullifies it.

A radiative barrier also requires an air space to be effective, so laying on top of it provides almost no benefit. It will still radiate heat back from the area's that aren't in direct contact with your body, however.

p.s. I wrote earlier that the reflectix pad would be optimal underneath another pad, but that would seem to not be the case. And I want to reiterate that I'm not refuting that reflectix works well in a hammock for insulation. Just saying its better to know what you're doing and not have expectations based on an R-value that is likely to be diminished at best, non-existent at worst.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SMR Pares/Chameleon
    Tarp
    Smr Stratos/Nube
    Insulation
    20deg loco libre
    Suspension
    SMR EZ slings
    I understand this is an old thread but ill put my exp with reflectix in, I took two 16 inch pieces together and rounded the ends and slept directly on that, I also sling a space blanket underneat like an uq, now with warmer clothing and heavier blankets (I was in the back yard) I have taken this set up down to about 15deg and have been quite warm, like others have said condensation is a prob but being on a tight budget it works very well

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456