dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

reflectix sleeping pad questions.

Hey everyone I have been messing with some gear fine tuning my kit... so I went into a local store and saw some car windshield reflectors that are reflectix on one side and like 1/8th foam on the other. Pretty similar to the stuff they sell at Walmart but feels slightly thicker and more durable.
    All this blabbing to say I bought it and made a narrow full length sleeping pad that I also use as my camp chair. Last winter I was exspermenting with the reflectix bubble wrap stuff and notices it adds about 15 deg underneath my legs (sitting in the footbox of my sleeping bag)
    I am curious though since I can't exsperment anymore this year since winter is over, has anyone tried the reflectix bubble wrap 0r the reflectix foam type from Walmart just laying on top of them with or without an underquilt added?
    Mostly to see how much warmer did it seem to make you're sleep system?

My end thought is if these products are simmilar I should be able to get down to well below 0 deg if I added it inside my sleeping bag.
    BTW my UQ is hammockgear full length incubator 0 incase anyones wondering.
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    My only experience was with a piece 16x32 on the ground on top of Tyvek in moderate temps but liked it just fine.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

I am going to try and make a reflectix pad for summer hanging tomorrow and do some testing this week. I'll try to remember to take some pictures and post my findings. I'm hoping it will do good for 50-65 degree nights. I'm a warm sleeper so I hope it will at least keep the wind off me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Oh ya 65 should be no problem seems like the average people can sleep is 70 deg without anythung undea neath sso 65 should be really duible! Im curious on how it works for ya!
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    might have to pick one of these up as an optional inscert for my PLUQ

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Anyone ever try sleeping without a UQ and without a pad just some type of reflectix in the hammock? If so how cold have you gotten down n to using it?
    Paragon Fury

I have a similar question. I tried for a couple of years - in ignorance - to sleep in a hammock with no bottom insulation in 30 degree weather. Then I found this forum. I'm not sure where any of you are camping and finding 70 degree nights unless you are south of Georgia.... In my neck of the woods, summer temps drop to the low sixties. Even lower at elevation. I've tried sleeping with no bottom insulation down to that range, but I'm still a little chilly. I don't necessarily want to pack a large UQ. I'm wondering if anyone has had good luck in moderate weather slinging a space blanket under the hammock. Use some stretchy cord to make a decent fit. The mylar would not allow wind through, and would reflect infrared heat.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomodo View Post
    I have a similar question. I tried for a couple of years - in ignorance - to sleep in a hammock with no bottom insulation in 30 degree weather. Then I found this forum. I'm not sure where any of you are camping and finding 70 degree nights unless you are south of Georgia.... In my neck of the woods, summer temps drop to the low sixties. Even lower at elevation. I've tried sleeping with no bottom insulation down to that range, but I'm still a little chilly. I don't necessarily want to pack a large UQ. I'm wondering if anyone has had good luck in moderate weather slinging a space blanket under the hammock. Use some stretchy cord to make a decent fit. The mylar would not allow wind through, and would reflect infrared heat.
    I have made my reflectix pad. So far it is very light and flexible. I plan on slipping it between the layers on my XLC. I just need to find a good night this next week to test it and I'll report my findings.

Hammock
    WB BB xlc
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I cut a piece of reflectix 32" wide X 6' long and knocked the corners off, it weighs the same as a Ridge Rest reg.. I've had it down in the mid 30's and been warm. I use this in my Warbonnet XLC double layer, and by cutting it 32" the pad stays in place no matter how much I roll around.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Armor Like Fire View Post
    Anyone ever try sleeping without a UQ and without a pad just some type of reflectix in the hammock? If so how cold have you gotten down n to using it?
    I've used a single layer of reflectix down to the 30s without another pad, or an UQ. I've used the same pad with a shorter pad crossed in a 'T' shape around my shoulders to get into the high 20s ( I hate cold shoulders ).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast