Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Quote Originally Posted by albertoes View Post
    Silver,
    I'm a bit unclear about something: are you doubling up the reflectix so that there are two layers of it beneath you, or are you doubling up side-by-side? Thanks.
    Yes, 2 layers, stacked and taped together.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Reflectix is a little lighter and compresses better. The foam windshield reflector is a little warmer and more durable. Obviously neither breathe so I always have something that does between it and me. Body heat reflectors work better for me with some space between them and me anyhow. Been meaning to try the heavy duty space blanket because it is lighter, packs smaller and has more uses. http://www.bensbackwoods.com/space-b...usa-5-x-7-o-d/
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Armor Like Fire View Post
    Hey everyone I have been messing with some gear fine tuning my kit... so I went into a local store and saw some car windshield reflectors that are reflectix on one side and like 1/8th foam on the other. Pretty similar to the stuff they sell at Walmart but feels slightly thicker and more durable.
    All this blabbing to say I bought it and made a narrow full length sleeping pad that I also use as my camp chair. Last winter I was exspermenting with the reflectix bubble wrap stuff and notices it adds about 15 deg underneath my legs (sitting in the footbox of my sleeping bag)
    I am curious though since I can't exsperment anymore this year since winter is over, has anyone tried the reflectix bubble wrap 0r the reflectix foam type from Walmart just laying on top of them with or without an underquilt added?
    Mostly to see how much warmer did it seem to make you're sleep system?

My end thought is if these products are simmilar I should be able to get down to well below 0 deg if I added it inside my sleeping bag.
    BTW my UQ is hammockgear full length incubator 0 incase anyones wondering.

This is all i use and is good from 35temps and up. As long as you sleep in thermals.

Hammock
    Warbonnet blackbord
    Tarp
    plastic paint tarp
    Insulation
    Sleep pad
    Suspension
    Straps
    I,m hoping a reflectix pad will work well, I hate the idea of carrying a under quilt. And buying one! I found out one sure needs some insulation hanging like u do in a hammock, that air passing underneath is cold, even in the 50 degree range
    The Golden Goose is on the loose, and never out of season.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    It would be hard for me to say. This is the first sleep system I've ever used. It has kept me warm in the hammock and also on the ground both around 18 degrees at the lowest. I had a thermometer in the bag and it read 81 when I was on the ground inside the tent. If I do roll off the reflectix it dosn't take long for Mother Nature to let me know. So with the reflectix and the system so far I've stayed toasty warm. Still I'm looking at an UQ for next winter.
    The one lightweight patrol bag is good down to 30*. The heavier bag is good down to 0*. If you snap the big bag inside the lightweight bag and attach the Gortex bivy, it is good to -30*. Great system but weighs over 7lbs. all together and doesn't compress for anything.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly....
    Insulation
    Depends on Event
    Suspension
    Whoopie Spikes
    I used a windshield reflector(reflectix version) this weekend on the Ouachita Trail. It got down to 53 and I had a light fleece blanket on top and it worked well. Not worried about my feet as I had thick smartwool socks on and then a pair of shorts and an adidads dri fit shirt. I also brought my Synmat but didnt need it. Condensation was not an issue but it was cool and we had monsoon weather so I would not have been able to differ from rain or sweat as I never realized my Super Fly is not seam sealed. That lead to dripping and me just adjusting y tension on the side tie outs to move me out of the way. Would trust it again but it is bulky so when I know I have trees will get a 40 degree underquilt for backpacking.

Raymond

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Yea its not really a thru hiker system but for me it works great. It's funny but I seem to hang more in cold weather then warm. We live on 21 acres and I just head to the back line to hang. Lets me have some freedom and still keep an eye on the wife. (health issues) I do love the flexibility of having three options thou.
    Take care

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
    The one lightweight patrol bag is good down to 30*. The heavier bag is good down to 0*. If you snap the big bag inside the lightweight bag and attach the Gortex bivy, it is good to -30*. Great system but weighs over 7lbs. all together and doesn't compress for anything.
    Be careful with those ratings unless you have actually done this yourself. The ratings for the IMSS is ***for 4 hours with heavy weight long underwear***.

I have used the full system, GoreTex bivy, black inside green, down to around 15*F in a snow storm over night sleeping in cotton t-shirt and shorts comfortably. And, I think I could have done down to about 0 but probably not much more without layering up.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Quote Originally Posted by sliver View Post
    Be careful with those ratings unless you have actually done this yourself.
    +1
    (insert pithy quote here)

Been doing exactly this for at least 10 years. Start with just the mylar blanket, add 1/8 inch foam (on the mylar blanket) from Gossamer Gear or OwareUSA. If that isn't warm enough, then add my fleece poncho which has shock cord run through the hems.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast