Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie

Pad vs quilt conundrum

I'm still relatively new at this, it will be only my second season of hammock camping. I can't see ever wanting to sleep on the ground again. My one issue is insulation and I've done some reading here and want to get clarification on some points and would appreciate suggestions.

I went with two HH ultralite asym classic. It seemed like a decent price point, on sale even at the time, and there were entirely too many manufacturers to choose from. Still I wish I researched it a bit more but also generally ok with these for now. The classic model as most here probably know is not a side zipper but bottom velcro entry. It was one of the things that attracted me to it, no zipper to get caught in the middle of the night and less likely to get damaged permanently. Although not relevant, I went with descender rings, carabiners and straps for suspension and combined with snake skins, setup and take down is blazing fast.

Spring and Fall when temperatures drop is my problem, especially if the winds are gusty. Thermals, hat, 30F sleeping bags (compresses down to grapefruit size and ample in the same circumstances if in a ground tent) and a partially deflated torso length sleeping pad don't quite cut it. I was contemplating reflectix but am hesitating. I thought perhaps if it isn't too cold there wouldn't be too much condensation but reading about dew point there are entirely too many variables including humidity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_po..._approximation Do people generally find using reflectix or other padding that they tend not to get too wet if low temperature stays say 45F or lower? It seems some people use partial not full lengths of this stuff, presumably to avoid creating a pool to collect moisture. If this is true do you tend to use it for your lower half and another type of pad, like an air pad, for the torso?

Underquilts are pricey and presumably a complete pain with the HH bottom entry. Getting in and out would require adjusting the quilt each time and can be a bit off and therefore compromising the insulation. Is there a decent quilt someone makes for bottom entry and ideally not too expensive? I don't want to shell out too much on two setups and not inclined to try to make them myself.

Like most I try to be space and weight conscious in what I pack so want something that doesn't take up too much space.
    Last edited by AlpineSuspension; 04-13-2015 at 15:29.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    No using a under quilt with a HH bottom entry is not that big of a deal. UQ's hang from shock cord so that they move with the hammock as you move in them. Using the bottom entry to get in and out is as simple as sliding the quilt to the side, hop in and the shock cord will snap the quilt back into place.

Check out my video on using the Potomac (one of the only quilts made thats fitted to the HH's shape).

https://youtu.be/KyosuQPQjek
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    not a pain at all. Plus depending on how low you want to go temp wise, there are plenty DYI UQ that are very cost effective. Though if weight is an issue the more expensive down UQ are the way to go IMO.

Plus, in my experience, an UQ will be plenty more comfortable than a pad depending on the temp.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have a two classic entries and UQ is not a pain at all at least not for me. I got a down UQ from JacksRBetter which matches up with the opening. That means you get in, sit like normal, pull your legs in, and the opening and quilt pop together. Check out The Nest. Yes, it is not cheap but WAY more comfortable than a pad. Been there, done that, and did find a pad to be a PITA with the classic opening. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/the-nest/

Good news is if you decide to change out your hammock later, The Nest will work just fine with any gathered end hammock.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    +1 on the AHE Potomac. I got one for my son's bottom entry Expedition and it worked beautifully. As an added bonus, it also works well on the WBBB XLC that replaced his Expedition. I'm actually thinking of adding a couple of quilt hooks to the WBBB XLC where the tie off points for the Expedition would have been so that I can hook the exposed shock cord on the Potomac and make sure it doesn't move on him.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I often wonder how people in HH classics adjust their UQ without getting out of the hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I often wonder how people in HH classics adjust their UQ without getting out of the hammock.
    Can't answer for others but I have never found a good way with my DIY to adjust it but with The Nest because it has pull outs that match the HH shape, I don't end up adjusting it at all.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WB Traveler, plus some lousy DIYs
    Tarp
    Oware
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    single line cord
    So, I'm wondering what folks have to say about Alpine's question regarding Refectix? Curious minds want to know!
    "If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's deadly." -Danielle Quierca
    --Proud Papa to three budding hangers, Educator, Lover of all things Outdoors, Still Seeking, Veteran

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Since I need this on two setups, one for me and whichever of my teenager kids joins me, I can't justify nearly $600 for a pair of Nests especially as we don't go camping often enough. Too many other things going on in the Summer and Fall. The Nest is a great design, certainly toasty and worth the price as I'm sure the KAQ synthetic option is for HH's asymmetrical shape. I've been searching around for other options, other manufacturers are priced similarly. My current leaning is DIY no-sew PLUQs and bring along some reflectix to insert if necessary. I'll modify the design slightly and figure out some simple way to attach sides to the side tie out cords of the HH.
    Last edited by AlpineSuspension; 04-17-2015 at 14:26.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    I can't remember what temp it was a few weeks ago when I tried sleeping a couple hours outside at night. I used a CCF pad with reflectix under it and they kept me plenty warm. I have heard people say all sorts of good and bad about reflectix. You won't know if it works well for you until you try it, I think. If you don't like it, you can use the reflectix for many other applications.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast