DIY Lightwieght Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Pheonix 0 degree
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

DIY Hammocks Advantages/Disadvantages

Just wondering what the advantages or disadvantages to a DIY hammock are? Also interested in possible DIY hammock designs anyone would be willing to share?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    A hammock can be a simple rectangle of fabric, hemmed all around. It's actually about the easiest DIY project you can do. Even easier than a stuff sack.

On the other hand, there are hammocks with integrated bugnets, hammock covers, and built-in insulation. Some hammocks are far from rectangles, constructed with curves and have foot-boxes,which are obviously more complex.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    without a machine, knowledge on how to fix and use it, knowledge on how to sew, the willingness to learn this stuff, and time to do it and practice, its much better to purchase a finished product from any one of our vendors. Most of them started as diy'ers to start with.

However if you either have the tools/skills/willingness to take a dip in the diy world, the advantages are vast.

Advantages are; cost, customization, being able to sew. As a diy'er you save money if you don't consider your time or the cost to get started. If you have a machine cleaned and ready to go and the sewing skills to get started, then get some thread and material and give it a try. If you want premium fabrics from dutch, rsbtr or diygear then you wont save as much. If you can get some fabric from a place like magnafabric you can save a ton. As Mike said it depends on what you are planning. A hammock is just a rectangle, just hem the edges and sew a couple of channels. If you are wanting to sew more then that check the diygear site they have some diy designs under the project section. Or better yet, advise us on the thread what you would be wanting to do and someone will point you in the right direction.

I don't use designs (probable should, but its not how I work). I develop as I go or see fit. If I had to make hammocks for a living or in large quantity I would use a design and templet. I find the best part of DIY is being able to help others get into hammocking and being able to think up new things to make, to make my own camping experiences the best they can be in the woods.

• + New Posts