Summer Alternatives to Bags and Top Quilts

I'm a newbie here and in the hammock camping world (~6 months of hammocking).

What do most of you use in the summer? I was thinking of picking up a 80/20 wool/polyester blanket for top insulation as nights around here only get down to 50/60. I typically use a 15* marmot trestle synthetic bag (I am cost conscious), but due to size and weight I'm really looking for a lighter option for the summer. I know there are warmer top quilts for cheaper prices than 0-20* winters, but I'd like something even cheaper. I am a warm sleeper and have a few base layer options that I think will help with most of my heat retention. Thoughts?

/EDIT - WOW! I Missed the thread right below this, my apologies - this can be deleted.

Depending on how warm it is I have heard of people using sleeping bag liners of different fabrics and brands. I picked up a couple for the wife and I to use this summer.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Just FYI there is a thread on this topic 8 posts down from this one (at the time of this message)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Just FYI there is a thread on this topic 8 posts down from this one (at the time of this message)
    hence my edit at the bottom of my post which was made right after i made the original post and was certainly there when you made this post. see how easy it is to miss the obvious sometimes?

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    My comment certainly wasn't meant to cause you offense, simply inform you of where you could find your answer quickly. I didn't fully read your thread, as I didn't see a need once you started bringing up some options. I'm sorry I missed your edit.

However, this may be a good lesson: if you search before you post, you'll probably find what you want faster, and not have to suffer comments like that.
    Last edited by Boston; 04-08-2015 at 13:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    My comment certainly wasn't meant to cause you offense, simply inform you of where you could find your answer quickly. I didn't fully read your thread, as I didn't see a need once you started bringing up some options. I'm sorry I missed your edit.

However, this may be a good lesson: if you search before you post, you'll probably find what you want faster, and not have to suffer comments like that.
    no worries - i was actually embarrassed and searched for the delete function right away (not on HF, but I am sadly a forum veteran). i did some searches for combinations of wool blankets + top quilts and didn't find an exact thread.

Surprised a mod didn't delete it yet haha.

• + New Posts