Hammock
    HH Explorer UL Zip - 2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    HH Hex - UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    0* Potomac 20* HG
    Suspension
    atlas straps-rings

a different way to ask the same question...

Just as the title says, it has been asked over and over by newbies across this great nation... A great amount of information has been passed down from long time hangers, almost to much info... lol...

I'm going to try another way of wording this question... This info will help a head spinning newbie make his final choice on his 1st and only underquilt for quite sometime...

What is the warmest outside air temp you have used your 0* under quilt?
    "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, He finds it attached to the rest of the world"
    John Muir

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    30-40° above rating and I start to get uncomfortably warm. This varies a lot person to person and your individual comfort is really what you should be thinking about. I like to be warm, not hot. I get hot physically even when at rest when the temperature hits X, my wife though gets cold to the point of being cool to the touch at the same X temperature. She could probably take that 0° quilt into the upper 60's and not mind one bit.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    This doesn't answer your exact question, but I've used my 20* underquilt comfortably in ~65* "weather" (it was inside my house) plenty of times. And I don't sleep well if my "bed" is too warm.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I've used a 0˚ quilt with an overnight 'low' of 70˚, and was perfectly comfortable. I wore shorts and a t-shirt, and had a fleece throw blanket covering my legs (it was a backyard hang in July with the nephews).

Edit: but looking back at your original post, I think if you're just planning on one quilt for a while, I'd suggest a 20˚ as the most overall versatile - unless you know for a fact that you plan on doing winter camping in the teens and single digits.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    I've used a 0˚ quilt with an overnight 'low' of 70˚, and was perfectly comfortable. I wore shorts and a t-shirt, and had a fleece throw blanket covering my legs (it was a backyard hang in July with the nephews).

Edit: but looking back at your original post, I think if you're just planning on one quilt for a while, I'd suggest a 20˚ as the most overall versatile - unless you know for a fact that you plan on doing winter camping in the teens and single digits.
    Same here. I've used a 0* quilt in 70* and was comfy, not too hot. However, I agree a 20* UQ is going to be more versatile.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Go with a 20 degree quilt. There are many ways to supplement it, and get down to about 5 degrees.
    And if it is 80 out you can vent the ends and still be comfortable
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex - UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    0* Potomac 20* HG
    Suspension
    atlas straps-rings
    Hey Paul,
    I got your email, thanks for the quick reply... sorry for not responding back sooner... works been non-stop... I really think I'm leaning towards the Potomac.

My main concern about the temp rating is, I just upgraded my ground sleep system 2 years ago to a BA system. After buying encampment 20*bag ($190), the insulated air core pad ($129). I froze my butt off in 40* weather. I was able to return the bag to rei and swapped it for a whiskey park 0* bag. Again I had another uncomfortable night, So I added the BA memory foam sleeve ($90). After all that I was still not happy so I added a fleece liner bag from walmart. I am now happy with the temp rating and sleeping like a king, but this system weighs over 13lbs and takes up 3/4 of my backpack...

With all this back and forth dialing in this new sleep system and my boys getting ready to cross over into boy scouts ( I no longer need to be in the same tent with them), I have HAD it with ground camping (30+ years).

I have been slowly putting my hammock together and I do not want to make the same mistakes with this sleep system. I'm thinking if I order the lowest rating possible I can maybe make a poncho liner uc for the warmer temps...

Sorry for rambling but I have a lot of money tied up into BA and I'm not sure it was worth it... I really want this hammock camping to work...

Mike
    "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, He finds it attached to the rest of the world"
    John Muir

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex - UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    0* Potomac 20* HG
    Suspension
    atlas straps-rings
    For now most of our trips our spring / fall. My oldest crosses over to boy scouts in 6 months, were they will have the chance to camp once a month in all types of weather. My youngest will cross over in a 1 & 1/2, I am his den leader and will be following him over as a ASM.

I know there is no size fits all, and I know that I will have to have several different quilts down the road, but for now I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible to make sure I'm happy with it. I can foresee my turning this system over to my oldest after I dial it in... and start this process all over again...

Why do all the really cool hobbies cost so much..... if my wife only had a small clue of the cost of all my gear, I think I would be sleeping in the backyard year round..... so maybe I should get the 0*...
    John Muir

Hammock
    Gathered End w bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY Hex & Sock
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ TQs
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Two options to extend the range of your UQ, 1is a hammock sock, adds about 10-15 °F, depending I size, material, person. The other is if you're using a double layer hammock you can slip a ground pad between the layers if the UQ isn't enough. This second option is nice since (assuming a double layer hammock) you already own the pad.
    DIY Quilt Spreadsheets: http://is.gd/pcEXXK
    DIY Project List: http://is.gd/pcsxfQ

• + New Posts