Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I use Pawn bags for my tarp lines. These are small double ended bags, similar to the Bishops bags that people use for their hammocks. They work great to keep my tarp lines contained, yet still attached to the tarp. I use them on the 4 guylines. The end/ridgelines are loose with the tarp flys attached, in the larger double ended stuff sack. I just got a Hammeck Netty with the side tie out lines, so I'm trying to figures out how to contain those at the moment. Also how to safely carry my tarp & hammock stakes. Like the OP, I don't want sharp edges in contact with my hammock or tarp. AHE used to sell these really nice double ended stuff sacks that had outer pockets for lines and stakes, but I don't see them on their website anymore. I had two of them, but sold them along with the tarp & hammock that lived in them. I sure wish I had kept them. Another issue I have now is the size & bulk of the Netty. I prefer to keep my suspension attached to the hammock for easy & quick set-up, but it's a really tight fit, even in the XL hammock bags. At the moment the hammock is in a regular stuff sack.
    When we send the hammocks out, I usually wrap the shock cord around my hand, fold the resulting bundle in half, and then tuck it into the D-ring. It's not perfect, but it usually stays in place. Hope that helps!
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Quote Originally Posted by meckelangelo View Post
    When we send the hammocks out, I usually wrap the shock cord around my hand, fold the resulting bundle in half, and then tuck it into the D-ring. It's not perfect, but it usually stays in place. Hope that helps!
    Yes it does. Ty. Lol
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I made a little Tyvek bag for my stakes & ridge lines. It's tough enough that I don't worry about the stakes pushing through, so the bag gets rolled into the tarp when it's packed up.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by limedude View Post
    Just curious on how all of you actually pack up your hammock and tarp. Specifically, I am trying to figure out what to do with guide line and stakes.
    Guylines stay attached to my tarp. I wrap each one up (figure 8 around my thumb & pinky so they stay tangle-free.)

I fold my tarp down so it's a long rectangle, lay the stakes on one end, then roll it like a sleeping bag. (The stakes are then protected and have never poked anything.) The tarp and hammock sack is usually the last thing to go in my pack, so it's at the top & first out.

For a while I used a separate little bag for the stakes before they went into the tarp roll, but the last couple trips haven't bothered. I used to worry about dirt & moisture rolled into the tarp, but it's never become a problem.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/Zep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I wonder if those stakes work as well for "bear identification" like the bells do?
    My stakes hang freely. As I walk they make noise. Not as loud as a bell but I believe they are loud enough to not startle, or at least make a bear aware of my presences.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I was thinking more like, "...if there are bells in the scat, it's a grizzly."

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    guy lines get wound in a figure 8, following this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5UTu1rhJAU. same goes for any cordage, webbing gets wrapped, starting from working end and leaving my sewn loop end w/ dutch clip for a single wrap and hitch to secure the bundle. All go into the appropriate stuff sacks with the gear they serve (double ended stuff sacks across the board, pretty much)

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaussinator View Post
    I made a little Tyvek bag for my stakes & ridge lines. It's tough enough that I don't worry about the stakes pushing through, so the bag gets rolled into the tarp when it's packed up.

-Klauss
    I did the exact same thing. My little tyvek organizer holds my tree straps, dog bones, CRL, stakes, etc. It all rolls up into a nice little bundle closed with a rubber band. I used the design I found on this thread. If you just want storage for the stakes I'd look at the design on this thread. I like the tyvek cause my stakes are frequently a little muddy/dirty and not only is the tyvek really lightweight and tough, it helps keep the moisture away from my other gear.

My tarp goes in snake skins, then in a double sided stuff sack with the ridgeline split rings hanging out both ends for quick deployment. My hammocks are all in double sided stuff sacks with the continuous loops left hanging out the ends for easy access.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Oodles
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

For kayaking, I was using a lot of smaller dry bags because I'd read about how they use the space better. But a lot of smaller bags meant a lot of smaller bags - a pain to carry from boat to campsite. And the reasoning was faulty. First, the idea assumed you had to put bags down a small hatch - not on my boat. Second, they assumed the larger bag wouldn't fit the space so well. But that's why God made tape measures. Measuring the inside of the hull, I could see that anything about 11 inches in diameter and larger would fit snugly.

Now I'm trying to get down to three duffle dry bags; one for clothes, one for shelter, and one for food.
    I'm in the same "boat." Learning to pack for my first weekend kayak trips. I learned the hard way about the measurement thing. I bought a bear canister at REI on a whim, only to discover it doesn't fit through the hatch. Duh! I have lots of Watershed bags for rafting, so I'd rather use the small to medium ones for gear instead of lots of small stuff sacks. Hammocks and tarps fit through the small 6 inch round hatches pretty well. I can see that packing the kayak will be an on-going puzzle and learning experience. Just like you hiker folks with your backpacks.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Yeah, You have to think "round" instead of square-ish. Also, though I prefer everything dry, some things don't have to be in a dry bag. What might be useful is considering what you will want to have access to first - those items go in last. For example, if there is a chance it might be raining (and there always is), you might want to get your tarp up first. Also, you may want to get out of your paddling clothes and into your "shore" clothes - once your trips to the water's edge (and beyond) are done retrieving gear.

My Mariner kayaks, built in the 80's were designed by two brothers who didn't believe in hatches. They have a 4 inch "port hole" near the bow to help pull gear forward. I've learned not to stick my arm in there passed my elbow. One has to believe if the arm went in, it can come out (before anyone notices you are stuck).

I toss one of my smallest (like just holding camp toiletries) bags in first with a tether line that runs back to the cockpit. I might push it more forward with a paddle, or use the paddle on the next bag to go in. I do that with a stern bag too. All it takes is once having a bag stuck in the bow or stern to learn you want a tether to pull it (and everything that goes after it) back to you.

It is definitly an ongoing learning process. I'm trying duffel bags instead of "in from the top" dry bags. They have a lot of extra straps/buckels I'd like to cut off, but out the boat they help secure the closure and carry. Eventually I'll have it dialed in.

One luxury is - instead of a small gas camp stove, I have a one burner stove (about 8" square) that uses a green coleman canister. They last a long time (but I still bring two - the used one and a new one). But that started probably when I envisioned using a fry pad - like for making an omlette. These days, I find myself just boiling water. So a simpler, light weight and smaller, hiking gas stove would work just as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast