Grand Trunk SB Pro Modded
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    IMO one extra layer will do because then its approx 2x as strong and if more is needed you should be out of that location because then its unsafe and most likely not fun.
    If we assume a tarp is well build and it is exposed to high winds I would expect it to rip along the seams because the treads will tear/cut the fabric. Personally I would be long gone before that happens ( i hope).
    I hadn't really thought about it like you so eloquently put it here! But that make a lot of sense. I tend to over think things and when you're backpacking, that's not a good thing, because that usually means I end up taking more than what I need, but I'm trying to quit doing that!
    Two heads are good, three are great, but all heads at hammockforums is the best case scenario!

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NWAlabamaHiker View Post
    I hadn't really thought about it like you so eloquently put it here! But that make a lot of sense. I tend to over think things and when you're backpacking, that's not a good thing, because that usually means I end up taking more than what I need, but I'm trying to quit doing that!
    You absolutely have to think if not it can be dangerous or uncomfortable.
    A lot of us including myself often tend to overdo stuff. It’s a learning process. Keep it simple.

When packing there are basically two terms.
    Need to have.
    You need shelter (e.g. a tarp)
    You need water so bring it or gear to purify.
    You need shoes (on your feet)
    Nice to have. You can manage without it because if you haven’t got it you will find a way and if not move it to the need to have list the next time.
    It is nice to have an extra pair of shoes but you don’t need it. You can’t use two pairs at the same time.
    It is nice to have 1 pair of extra socks but you don’t need 5. During winter time 1 pair of extra socks moves up to the need group.

The list will of cause change according to the trip conditions and preferences .
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    MYOG
    Tarp
    One that works
    On my last tarp, I went with 3/4 grosgrain along the side of the tie-out point, then box stitched a loop to the intersection of the V. This is easy to do and cuts down on some places for sealer. At the ridgeline seam ends, you can do the same. I used a bit of HyperD 300 on the ridge lines and it has done great, especially if you have doors. There is going to be a time where you trip over a guy line and rip your tarp (this is why I went with the HyperD) and this stuff prevents tears. Very tough but not heavy, is waterproof and bonds to sealer very well.

Here is my repair job I did after learning the hard way about not having adequate reinforcements on the ridgeline.
    Last edited by heycorb; 04-06-2015 at 09:11.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    I have used SilNylon 1.1 (actually closer to 1.3 with the Sil treatment). My complaint is (other than the stretch) is that in a hard rain it mists. That is you can feel a slight mist coming through the tarp when the rain is really pounding. This is still my go to winter tarp. I have also made tarps in SilArgon (I don't think this is available anymore - Dutchware) and Membrane Sil (RBTR) both are lighter than the 1.3 Sil and supposed to have better resistance to misting, but I have not had either out in a really driving rain to test that. The SilArgon has a lot of stretch. As far as reinforcements I have made all of my tarps with the plans on DIY gear supply's web site and use small patches at the tie-outs. I have always just used a rolled hem around the perimeter.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    MYOG
    Tarp
    One that works
    Misting is one of those tradeoffs with anything sil. I've only really noticed it one time and that was hour 12 of a 16 hour continuous rain where I was in a tent in an open field. Even then it wasn't that bad. Cuben is the only thing that will never mist in any conditions. I'm hoping my silpoly stuff will hold up better in sustained rains because it has much less stretch. So far my yard tests in heavy rains have shown some promise.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    You absolutely have to think if not it can be dangerous or uncomfortable.
    A lot of us including myself often tend to overdo stuff. It’s a learning process. Keep it simple.

When packing there are basically two terms.
    Need to have.
    Nice to have.
    This is great advice! I was a boy scout when I was young and I had "always be prepared" drilled into my head! So I can't help thinking about things in these terms! But I definitely appreciate the advice - looking at things as need to have and nice to have!
    Two heads are good, three are great, but all heads at hammockforums is the best case scenario!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Thanks heycorb for the pointers and doogie, the DIY Gear Supply plans for tarps is what I was planning to use also! I ended up ordering 1.1 SilNylon from RBTR rather than the silpoly. Really the only reason why is since this is my first tarp, just in case I mess it up, the SilNylon is cheaper!

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    Hey there nw bama hiker. I'm also from nw alabama. Just wanted to say hello

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsig11010 View Post
    Hey there nw bama hiker. I'm also from nw alabama. Just wanted to say hello
    How's it going! It's always good to "meet" people on here from my neck of the woods! I'm from Russellville.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12