LNT Change in Strap Recommendation?

A couple questions popped up recently in relation to strap width. If I remember correctly... perhaps 2 years or so ago Leave no trace came out with hammock guidelines which recommended 2in straps. It appears they have at some point switched that to 1.0"-1.5" (#3 here). Is anyone aware of when this change took place? And if there was any conclusive/empirical evidence LNT cited as what strap length is required to prevent damage to softer trees? If LNT advises less than 2in straps this would likely be a strong argument for locations banning hammocks outright to at least set a 2in minimum like other locations (which would be going above and beyond LNT) and allow hammocks.

The director actually links the hammock forums in the blog post cited up above so maybe it was just based on advice from hammock forum members.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    There is a cadre of folks who will push to lower whatever the set standard is.

They kind of have a case in that the issue is load/unit area so for a small tree a wider strap provides more area for the short length compared to a narrower strap on a much bigger tree. That would then need a lot more knowledge of what kind of tree one is about to hang from and how it tolerated pressure on the bark. Given that one could go through their pack of straps and choose the correct one for that tree that time. OTOH the couple of ounces of strap would turn into a pound or so strap assortment so it's easier and actually lighter to tell people just to stfu and use a 2 inch strap.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Thanks. That should pretty much cover... everything. I guess the status of peer reviewed evidence of cambium constriction by use of choker hitches in various widths of polyester webbing is about what it was a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    There is a cadre of folks who will push to lower whatever the set standard is.

They kind of have a case in that the issue is load/unit area so for a small tree a wider strap provides more area for the short length compared to a narrower strap on a much bigger tree. That would then need a lot more knowledge of what kind of tree one is about to hang from and how it tolerated pressure on the bark. Given that one could go through their pack of straps and choose the correct one for that tree that time. OTOH the couple of ounces of strap would turn into a pound or so strap assortment so it's easier and actually lighter to tell people just to stfu and use a 2 inch strap.
    I was actually almost finished compiling my pack of straps, but the only 6 inch wide strap I could find was in nylon and I was afraid it would stretch like the dickens. So there's one more reason thats a bad idea.

• + New Posts