Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps

Question Staking to the ground, when the ground is rock

I predominantly travel in areas where there is very little soil over the rock and as a tenter it was always an adventure guying out the tent and tarps. Now I am switching to the hammock there is but two "rocks" instead of 8 I'll need to tie to but the tarp is pretty much the same story now. I am concerned about the abrasion on the Zing-It I have set up for my tie-outs and was wondering if there are others here who have some different experiences or tips and tricks?

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Is rock exposed with cracks? Or is this predominately like solid granite slab? If the former, wedge sticks or use tension. I have used some climbers techniques in the past, wedging a small rock in a crack and then tying around that. Climbers now carry "nuts" to act in the same way. If the latter, you might be out of luck. Not every l9cation is hammock/tarp friendly.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I've piled a bunch of small rocks on top of my stakes before with little success. When car camping bringing a few cinder blocks works well though. I don't really like moving around rocks, big sticks on the trail so I think it's going to just be tricky site selection. "Good campsites are found not made." I wouldn't worry too much about abrasion. Zing it is meant to be thrown over tree limbs and rub against that. I would think something with similar construction to climbing rope would be better, but it's obviously going to be stretchy. There may be another solution.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbcrocks View Post
    "Good campsites are found not made."
    Actually part of the draw of the hammock with me was the making a campsite where before I couldn't. I travel is vast tracts of seldom travelled area by canoe. Sometimes before I can set up camp, it involves spending an hour or two clearing away deadfall that has happened over the winter or during an intense storm. Here is a video a friend of mine made that will show a bit of sample of the area I travel.

Great tip with the wedging of rocks in cracks. Not always possible but it's not like I've looked for that before.

And heck no to the cinder blocks. Compared to backpacking we canoeist do travel heavy but not cinder block heavy. I'm sort of hoping to get my overall weight down to under 80 pounds this summer. Tough when you carry an axe and saw.

Tie off to stick in a T and pile rocks on the stick? Plastic grocery bag (or you can buy or make sturdier bags) and fill them with rocks or sand and tie off to them? Tie off to the deadfall? Turn the canoe upside down and tie off to it or those big canoe packs?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I wouldn't worry about abrasion on Zing-It; it's tough. When the ground is rock, I use rocks or logs to tie off my tarp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Zing it is cheap.. replace it every other year.. I like the climbing anchor technique.
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I have used rocks and dead fall before. Rocks around the size of a dinner plate work well. Tie off to one and pile more on top as needed.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    If there are trees for your hammock then wouldn't there be trees for your tarp? A little extra rope and you can tie to the nearest tree in porch mode. Just slope your ridgeline.

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I was speaking from an LNT perspective.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast