Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reading back through previous replies. I'm very familiar with Banff, having grown up camping there with my family ( my mother was a Canadian from Vancouver) Driven Hwy 1 multiple times and traveled way up north in B.C. too.
    We'll be returning down the east side of the Rockies through an area known for its wind-electric generation (much like where I am now in Central Washington State). Wind? Oh yes! The ride north is on the west side of the Rockies, so it should be less wind-driven. We'll be in trees much of the way too with the greatest dangers, in order, (1) Idiot drivers using electronic devices and (2) deer and elk and mountain sheep.
    Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Cascades View Post
    Just heard from the Officials in Banff:
    "Thank you for your inquiry regarding the use of hammocks in Banff National Park. At this time, the use of hammocks is not allowed in any of our campgrounds. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you."
    There you have it!
    I'm guessing a large part of the reason is sheer volume. When I went to reserve camp sites it took 20 minutes for the web page to load. Some campgrounds are booked solid for the season. Even the most carefully used straps/padding/fertilizer/soft-speech-to-the-trees wouldn't leave the trees unscathed.
    Bummer.
    Has anybody had any recent firsthand experience with this? I have a conference in Calgary in September and was thinking about coming out a few days early and doing a 2-4 day loop in Banff, but if hammocks are officially frowned upon at backcountry campsites I'll probably reassess and just do some day hiking or potentially go somewhere else where hammocks are allowed. Just googling some of the backcountry sites, it looks like many are somewhat forested, but not necessarily to the extent that a tent pad would have workable trees.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair / HH Explorer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    OWL/Loco Libre
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    Has anybody had any recent firsthand experience with this? I have a conference in Calgary in September and was thinking about coming out a few days early and doing a 2-4 day loop in Banff, but if hammocks are officially frowned upon at backcountry campsites I'll probably reassess and just do some day hiking or potentially go somewhere else where hammocks are allowed. Just googling some of the backcountry sites, it looks like many are somewhat forested, but not necessarily to the extent that a tent pad would have workable trees.
    I have hung in National Park campgrounds without issue a half dozen times the the past few years. Finding suitable camp spots for hammocks can be a challange. I would recommend giving Crown Land a go instead. Not nearly as crowded and more versatile hiking options. Banff and Lake Louise are beautiful indeed. So are the Foothills. Google the Alberta Trunk Road, you won't be disappointed. You can camp most anywhere not within a kilometer of a provincial recreation area. Google "PLUZ" for the Public Land Use Zones. Good information there as well. Just offering other options.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Runner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    EE Rev./HG Incub.
    Suspension
    Webbing, Dutch
    When my son and I were at Takkakaw Falls campground in Yoho NP (right next to Banff), which is a hike-in car campground, there were definitely hammock setups around. Hard to imagine anyone caring, and some chill rangers did come through every night walking around.

Simply stunning country. Cant wait to go back, but I would really want to hang this time.

Thanks for the info, cdn_wolf and JanxSpirit! I'll look into both of those ideas.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ Doors
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    PT's Ultralight Ha
    Is there a page that has all the rules and regulations that one must adhere to? Something official on the Parks website maybe? I'd hate to recieve a $25000 fine for breaking a rule that I didn't know existed.

Quote Originally Posted by DevonHowton View Post
    Is there a page that has all the rules and regulations that one must adhere to? Something official on the Parks website maybe? I'd hate to recieve a $25000 fine for breaking a rule that I didn't know existed.
    I spent a lot of time looking and found nothing. You'll also find nothing on the Yosemite NP pages in the US, and while they don't prohibit hammocks, they do require chocking/padding of the straps. Would have been good to know in advance. I think the NP's are behind the curve on the hammock thing. There doesn't seem to be anything definitive, and reactions vary from ranger to ranger. Frankly, I'm afraid to e-mail and ask and stir something up.

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    sorry to say it is a bit more of problem in popular sites in Banff townsite ,Minnewanka, type areas, because they are so popular with the masses rangers have to deal with idiots day and night so they can get a bit testy ( don't blame them 1 bit ) and are usally way more strict than others places ,if you can get away from the hordes ,you should not have a problem ,but this year the all of the National Parks Passes are free entry ( not the camping that is pay as you go ) celebrating Canada's 150 birthday ,so just be aware Banff gets busy in the summer ,and with free entry you can be guaranteed it will be crazy ,1 other thing of note last year you where not allowed to hike on some trails ( not sure if it was all of them or not ) unless you where in a group of 4 or more because of bears, cougars etc ,hope this help you out a little ,p.s. for what its worth i am45mins from Banff i wont be going there this year ,too many people
    always use tree straps please

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I think you have the information you need. Get off the beaten path, be respectful to authority and the critters. There are a lot of bears and you are in their turf.

This is just my opinion. Americans are not always loved, so be aware of that fact, make every effort to be a good guest.

Make sure your bikes are properly insured. Canadian minimum insurance is different than Washington State Minimum Liability.

We have Hung in several places in Alberta & B.C. mostly from Banff north. I consider pink Mountain, B.C. home. We kind of filter between Alberta, B.C. and the West Coast. There is a distinct difference on how we are treated by what plates are on our vehicle. remember to check with your insurer to be sure you are Canadian legal. Some insurers only cover you a few miles into CN.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    This is just my opinion. Americans are not always loved,
    I don't know about that. Come on up have some fun and enjoy, just leave your gun(s) at home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast