argon10'/nylond11'/eno dbl dlx
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    ssuq/ 15* bag
    Suspension
    ws starps

moral delima

ive been hammock camping for a little over a year now. last summer I hiked on the AT for 50 miles over a weeks time. I plan on doing it again this year except with better gear. nothing is wrong with my old gear just heavy and small(eno everything). so ive been slowly buying and preparing lighter larger and more compactable gear. I now have almost everything I need for it. now my mom tells me she is going to do it with me. cool. no problem with that. that's awesome. but the problem is she tells me she wants to use a hammock instead of sleeping on the ground. now I don't expect her to go buy all her own stuff. I mean I do have two set ups now. but do I give her the eno set up(double deluxe, profly, guardian bug net) that I started with, or do I give her the new set up(dutch nylond 11', wb mamajamba, barrier bug net) that ive been working hard to get ready????
    what would be the best choices here to make sure she has a great time hanging while backpacking?? while I still can have great sleep too. im kinda stuck in where to go from here. what would you guys/gals do in my position???? any input would be helpful. thank you in advance

my stats- 6'2" 160* 27yo
    my moms stats- 5'10" 150* 59yo

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    well just looking at heights your moms more likely to be comfortable in the Eno than you would be.

Overall I'd suggest you sit down and talk with her about it and probably go do a test hang set up at some local park and let her try things out and see how she feels. She might want to buy some gear of her own and she might be okay with what you have already.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

How about you carry the heavier gear, but sleep in the bigger hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I don't think you have a moral dilemma. Sounds like your moral compass is doing just fine. Maybe you could take turns with different equipment. Have fun!
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I think its great that your mom wants to join you.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You get the older, heavier gear, but you might make a longer hammock for yourself.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    "Hey Mom, that's great that you want to go with me. If you don't want to buy new gear you're in luck. I just got a new setup and you're welcome to use my old one. I might even carry one of the components for you."

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm a momma's boy, so if it was my Mom, I'd give her the lighter setup to if she's carrying it. You're both a bit too tall for the ENO hammock, in my opinion, so somebody's gotta suffer. And the ProFly is skimpy coverage (6 ft. wide), so somebody might get wet.

When I got my first UQ & TQ, I didn't let my kids use them. I gave them pads and sleeping bags. And when I got my first four-season tarp (cuben fiber) , well, I still haven't let my kids use it! It's for me.

I have three kids and they never come camping together with me at the same time. I have three TQs and three UQs and plenty of hammocks and tarps, but if all three ever came, somebody would have to use pad and sleeping bag, and carry it. I'd probably stick the youngest kid (16) carrying the pad and sleeping bag 'cause he's the strongest and also the one who complains the least.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Not a bad problem to have. I agree with the stance of sleeping in your new gear but carrying the weight of the old stuff.
    I'm the same age and while my mom can't physically join, my girlfriend and her aunt are joining me for 50 miles on the AT later this year. They all have the option of sleeping in my older stuff or buying their own.

Hammock
    argon10'/nylond11'/eno dbl dlx
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    ssuq/ 15* bag
    Suspension
    ws starps
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    "Hey Mom, that's great that you want to go with me. If you don't want to buy new gear you're in luck. I just got a new setup and you're welcome to use my old one. I might even carry one of the components for you."
    I think this may be the thing to do. I have no problem carrying her gear. I will more than likely be carrying all the food for both of us too. but I do need to get her in a hammock soon to see if a hammock really is for her. I will probably let her try both during the practice period to see which she likes better. but what if she likes the one I like??

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast