Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Various DIY
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Ok, I'm getting the distinct impression that trying to hippy-proof my hammock is going to be challenging and possibly futile. I guess I'll come up with some way to make it clear when I'm not present that the hammock is not a public amenity (maybe hammock skins?). Thanks for the reality check.
    So, a similar but more constrained question: any ideas for a hammock suspension that could hold 2 or 3 careful and supervised people who weigh an average of 220 lbs each? This is assuming the trees there are sturdy enough (which I'm pretty sure they are, based on the stuff I've seen people successfully attach to them) and that the hammock is decidedly on the overbuilt side (maybe two layers of 3.5 - 4 oz/sq-yd Supplex or Taslan nylon?). Thanks!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    We can build it.

I would do 1/8th" Whoopies, 1.5" straps and climbing rated carabiners.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Various DIY
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Sweet! I'm planning on ordering an underquilt from you later this month so I'll get in touch with you then about ordering that!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MiriRose View Post
    Hi all, I'm looking for suggestions for a simple hammock suspension that can hold at least 650 pounds. I like taking a hammock to an arts festival that I go to, and would like to feel okay suspension-wise about several people sitting in one hammock at once to hang out together.

I've seen Arrow Head Equipment's Marlin Spike Whoopie Kit (http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...oopie_Kit.html) which has a safe working limit of 800 pounds if you get the 1.5" webbing straps, but I'm worried about the marlinspike hitch potentially getting jostled when people aren't in the hammock and no-one noticing before people sit in the hammock again. Maybe I'm overly concerned - I've never used a marlinspike based suspension before (I've used a whoopie hook based suspension and I've used ENO's Atlas Straps) - in which case please set me right!

However, what I'm mostly looking for here are some simple to use suspension ideas that I can use without hesitation for about 650 pounds. It is totally ok if the suspension is on the heavy side - it's at a festival and it's not like I have to carry stuff all that far from the parking lot. Carabiners for connections are a plus since everyone who might conceivably using the hammock or moving it understands how to use them. Thanks all, I look forward to hearing what the incredibly knowledgable people here at HammockForums come up with!

The answer is simple, readystrap.com, ask gary for a set of pro straps, they are a 2 inch tree hugger with 1 inch tree straps sewn onto them, have him use the 3.000 1 inch straps and your suspention will be bomb proof,, i am alittle over 4oo lbs and wont use any other set up, have been using the same pair for over 2 years without any issues.get em with the quick draws and cinch buckles and your done. as far as a strong material for the hammock check out the Hyper D diamond ripstop at ripstopbytheroll.com, a double layer of that should do it.but i really dont think your gonna find material that is gonna hold up long if people are jumping around in it.
    Last edited by Zilla; 04-08-2015 at 08:54.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    what about that hjammock climbingframe half dome thing that ive seen posted before ?

Hammock
    Various DIY
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    The hammock half dome is pretty neat and I kind of covet one, but not really the right thing for where I'm taking this. Level ground is at something of a premium and there are lots of trees, so it just doesn't make sense.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I don't know how, but according to the parents, these girls walked away with only scratches and bruises. Here's proof that the suspension may not be the weakest link in your setup.
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e0f_1428520788
    Last edited by Spaceman; 04-08-2015 at 16:52.

Hammock
    Various DIY
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Yikes! I for sure will be checking whether the trees I'm hanging from are alive and taking a look at the ground around them (lots of erosion, roots exposed - enh, maybe not such a great place to hang). A couple of dead trees actually did fall over at the festival last summer, when the tail end of a hurricane came through. No one was hanging from those trees and the tents they fell on were unoccupied at the time, but it was still quite a thing. Definitely reminded people to take a close look at the trees where they're camping, whether or not they're hanging!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12