View Poll Results: Do you prefer 3/4 or full length underquilts?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3/4

30 29.13%
  • Full

65 63.11%
  • Other (Explain)

8 7.77%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hello,
    Trying to purchase a 10F or 20F UQ for GF. She is cold sleeper and 5ft3" which is 63". It would be paired with a 20F TQ.
    Will a 65" quilt cover her like a full-length UQ given her size or does she need to size up? Will she have problems with the shock cords getting in her way around the feet?

It seems the EE quilts are sized smaller than many other manufacturers. wonder why? Incubator would look good too but he does not seem to make 950 down UQ.
    75" might be on the shorter side of things for a 6" guy like me when it comes to buy mine!

Minos

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm 5'4" and the HG Incubator short - which is 73" - fits me well. I wouldn't want it to be much shorter, though, because the shock cords get uncomfortably close to my head and feet. If you go with EE, get a 75" underquilt for her. That should fit comfortably. 65" might be too short, especially when you're a cold sleeper.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    The JRB Nest and Winter Nest are also great UQ options, and are actually designed to fit the HH. I just sold mine on here Thursday for $200....a $200+ savings over a new not on sale WN. But I just now saw you got the Incubator, also a great UQ. I just got the 0° myself. I could proly get away with using the 3/4 HG Phoenix as a full length since Im only 5'6, but I like full length quilts.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Thanks for a quick answer!

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I'm a full-lengther. I'm a full-timer too, and even in the wonderful no wind and mild temps (absolute lows of 15˚C) in my bedroom, if there is nothing beneath my legs or heels, they get chilly. My feet don't get cold, just the heels (probably from the slight pressure), and it's enough to keep me awake at night. But this is without a footpad, just inside my duvet. As a side-sleeper, I am sure a footpad would be cumbersome for me. Also, I don't use a pillow, and I like my UQ to cover my head, so no chill possibility on my neck, which means, I stay warm.

What you could try is using a pad at a 3/4 length, with a thin footpad to get the sense of what you can handle, and make your decision based on your own body's needs.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phincubator; EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Here's a side-by-side I did with a 20° Phoenix and Incubator when I was trying to decide. Keep in mind there is less down in the bottom protion of the Incubator, so that takes up less volume than you may think.

That's a very helpful comparison. Makes a strong case for the Incubator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Minos View Post
    Hello,
    Trying to purchase a 10F or 20F UQ for GF. She is cold sleeper and 5ft3" which is 63". It would be paired with a 20F TQ.
    Will a 65" quilt cover her like a full-length UQ given her size or does she need to size up? Will she have problems with the shock cords getting in her way around the feet?

It seems the EE quilts are sized smaller than many other manufacturers. wonder why? Incubator would look good too but he does not seem to make 950 down UQ.
    75" might be on the shorter side of things for a 6" guy like me when it comes to buy mine!

Minos
    Hi,

Keep in mind, the width and style of the UQ limits the angle you sleep at. From what I've read, the incubator seems to require a longer UQ than the other styles, which works if you tend t do the 10˚ angle suggested.

For me the 66" UGQ Wide UQ just barely fits me head to toe, and I am 5'7.5", a side-sleeper, and when on my back, sleep at a slightly wider angle. This is why I opted for a couple inches above and below, giving me moving room. I although I could easily "get away with" a 69" UQ, I got a 71" for my 0˚F UQ, so I could ooze in the cold. I might go slightly shorter for my 30˚F UQ I plant to buy, but I'll stick to the wider style.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    All good info here - as a rule of thumb I like to use 3/4 above 32F, full 32F to about 22F then I stack a full and 3/4 when below about 22F. So, this is a good reason to eventually get one of each :>)

Since my 3/4 is for warmer weather (thus lighter pack) you can save some $$ and get synthetic 3/4 UQ.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    As a beginning hammocker, I prefer full length. It seems easier to adjust and stay warm.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Full is the only way I roll as I have cold feet and legs so it's an easy decision for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast