Thread: old newbie

old newbie

Greetings Fellow Hangers,

Although I've been using hammocks a few years I haven’t been going online or buying stuff so all the changes and growth over the past few years have passed me by.

I originally did some research and quickly settled on a DD hammock. .... you can't really go wrong with it. It's been perfect for my needs and I have spent well over 100 nights camping with it. So huge thanks to DD hammocks. Possibly the best £80 I have ever spent!

However I feel it's time for an upgrade. I plan on doing more hiking, biking and kayaking so would like something lighter and maybe more hi tech. Obviously Hennessy is the safe bet. Being based in Devon, England some of the other US makes are harder to source at an affordable price. I have looked at Warbonnet, Exped and Pak It Lite (my current favourite) but they are drawing me over my £200/$300 budget by the time they are delivered, taxes paid. I'm medium build 5'9" and 75kgs/165 lbs.

I know from reading other posts I am in a very common position (wanting to upgrade and sort through the huge range of options ) with the possible difference of being in UK and also having done a lot of hammocking but at the same time having the knowledge base of a newbie ! The first time I knew what a woopie sling was the other day. I've been happily tieing webbing around trees for years :-)

Any comments would be welcome.

And hello again
    wildR

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WB Line Strap
    I am unable to comment on your choice of hammock being overseas but I can say Shug's and Dutch's videos will do plenty well getting you caught up on the new and improved.
    "Nothing could be more irrational than to give the people power and to withhold from them information, without which power is abused. A people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it is but a prologue to a farce or tragedy, or perhaps both." - James Madison

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome wildR! Be sure to keep an eye on http://ukhammocks.co.uk/collections/hammocks The are an authorized UK Warbonnet distributor and have better pricing due to local shipping. However, Warbonnet hammocks sell out almost immediately due to their popularity, so be sure to get in contact with them to find out when they will be back in stock.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    welcome
    look at matt from ukhammocks - i have his woodsmanX and its really really nice.
    And i would say its up their with the warbonnets of the world.

Welcome to the forum!
    Oracle5

Check out my hiking videos on Youtube:
    www.youtube.com/user/arkansasredneck2

Check out my hiking trip photos on Facebook and Instagram:
    www.facebook.com/arkansasredneck2
    www.instagram.com/arkansasredneck2

Thanks guys for your comments.

I was wondering why all the warbonnet gear was out of stock. It's hard to know what is best given the huge price differentials. I suspect I will be pretty happy with whatever I get so maybe part of the fun is in the choosing :-)

Any suggestions for a quality tarp that provides good coverage, is light and value for money?

• + New Posts