DD Frontline Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3m x 3m
    Insulation
    Mummy bag and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

First hang - pleasantly surprised

The weather was calm and clear with no rain forecast and temperatures a few degrees above freezing. Although it was dark when I arrived and pitched my tent, the stars glittered in a clear sky and I was irresistibly tempted to try setting up the hammock for the first time. The tent was a few yards away so even if I just managed half an hour of star gazing I would be pleased.

After a bit of experimentation the hammock was up, although it was hanging only barely clear of some prickly bramble shoots which I hadn't noticed in the light of my headtorch. I attached the UQ, probably completely incorrectly, and shoved a self-inflating foam mat between the hammock layers, which didn't work too well as it was far too wide, which made the whole thing rigid and tipped me to one side when I lay on it. A bit of deflating later and it was a bit bendier, but far from ideal, but insulation took priority over technique. The pillow wasn't a great idea as it leapt to the ground at the slightest opportunity, so I eventually shoved it under me on top of the UQ (more anti-CBS insulation) and rolled my jacket under my head instead. For some unknown reason my feet seemed to be pointing at the sky and I'm sure my diagonal lay wasn't at precisely the appropriate angle either.

However ..... once I forgot about this bizarre and undignified position, and looked up - WOW! There was The Plough, The Big Dipper, right above me and so very bright. It was absolutely beautiful! What a privilege to be able to lie there and enjoy that view. I was cosy in my sleeping bag with an extra one over the top and also very comfortable. So although I had expected to be uncomfortable and to get up and head for the tent or at least try adjusting my sleeping arrangements, none of that happened, for one simple reason - I fell asleep. I woke briefly a few hours later, and once I had got over my surprise at having been comfortably asleep, I went back to sleep again for the rest of the night.

In the morning I lay there looking up through the trees and watched a buzzard circling above me, wondering if he had noticed me far below. Just in case he hadn't, I waved to him! When I got out of the hammock I noticed that I had no stiffness or aches and pains at all. What a great night!

2015-03-27 11.58.47.jpg

11082662_813840848686431_4167625359781334216_n.jpg

2015-03-27 10.34.23.jpg

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20+1
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    awesome !!! I haven't had the opportunity to hang without a tarp yet (Hang in winter conditions thus far) yet can only imagine the view.....Suggest putting a ridge line on your hammock as that will "set" the hammock to a good lay and could help with your diagonal lay and also try adjusting the hammock foot end a bit higher than the head side. Any time you decide to Hang instead of laying on the ground is a good thing LOL no matter the results.. keep it up and enjoy

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good on ye'.
    Nothing like it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Few things as nice as waking up when you hadn't really expected to be asleep. Great to have the first try a success. I've hung without a tarp several times lately--there is nothing like stargazing when cradled in warmth and comfort. If there is any better way to look up and appreciate the sky, I do not know what it is.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Very nice. Welcome to the madness.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Ahhh the reason of many a wonderous wander thru the woods . It is the respite of the weary if you will until dawn breaks and a wandering further
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3x3, Noah 12
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ole that first hang comfort surprise, gets um every time.

• + New Posts