Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Eno Atlas Suspension System

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    What is the rapel ring for? You could just put the loop made by the figure 8 on the carabiner?
    True, I was just thinking less strain on the "bight" of the rope if i used something with a better circumference than the carabiner... The reason for the larks head: When I had just the loop of the figure 8 on the carabiner, there was a pretty substantial strain on the single string loop at that point.

Hammock
    Dutchware NylonD 11' Olive
    Suspension
    Rap Rings/Webbing
    Images
    You could just as easily Lark's Head carabiners on 15" Amsteel Continuous Loops and then thread them through the end channels of your hammock. Much lighter, simpler and less bulky.

I did something similar with Rappelling Rings: y5OwePY.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by windowspray View Post
    True, I was just thinking less strain on the "bight" of the rope if i used something with a better circumference than the carabiner... The reason for the larks head: When I had just the loop of the figure 8 on the carabiner, there was a pretty substantial strain on the single string loop at that point.
    I see what you're thinking. I don't think the rope on the carabiner will be a problem. The figure of eight would be more of a problem than the rope on the carabiner since knots derate the strength of rope.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by fromkentucky View Post
    You could just as easily Lark's Head carabiners on 15" Amsteel Continuous Loops and then thread them through the end channels of your hammock. Much lighter, simpler and less bulky.

I did something similar with Rappelling Rings: y5OwePY.jpg
    We give all of our new Scouts a rig with this type suspension and when they're ready to upgrade, they pay for it themselves. It's a very useful and easy system. In hammocking, there's Bad, Good, and Better. These, along with Atlas Straps, rate in the Good category for me.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I use Python straps - the Kammok equivalent to Atlas Straps but I think a bit longer. I started with line, went to webbing, then to whoopie slings. The Strap are quick and simple. Sure, there isn't a continuous adjustment. But the "step" of the loop is fine. And I can always (and do) bring a dog bone or two I can use if some sort of additional adjustment is necessary.

If I wanted continuous adjustment, I'd go back to my original line with two descender rings to lock it. Much easier for me to adjust than buckles or whoopie slings, especially when cold and wet/freezing.

Now, ENO has XL Atlas straps. As you can imagine, they are even heavier. But they go around the trees we have in the NW.

For a day hike setup, I'd probably bring the slings. But camping, I have a personal mandate to have my shelter up before the tent guys. With the straps and a carabiner, it's a .... wait for it .... Snap.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123