Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First hammock - Warbonnet Blackbird XLC or Simply Light Trail Lair?

Hey all,

Let me preface this by saying I had a very nice write-up that disappeared when I accidentally refresh the page ... so my re-write is not going to be as nice as the first post I had .

I have only slept in yard hammocks before and have a cheap $20 ENO for lounging in. I'd like to take the plunge and buy a hammock for sleeping in. I am 6'1" 210 lbs.

I am looking at Warbonnet Blackbird XLC/ in single-layer 1.7 *or* the Simply Light Trail Lair in 1.3.

I am leaning towards the Simply Light since the scant reviews I can find, mostly on this website, suggest it's a better night's sleep when compared to the WBBB. That being said, it is missing the footbox and "shelf" that the Blackbird have. I was also hoping to get a heavier weight fabric, like 1.7, but the mfr only has 1.1 or 1.3 (and the page says it's available in 1.6 or 1.9).

Any compelling reasons to go with one over the other? The hammock comparison google spreadsheet only shows a minor difference of the Trail Lair being a wider hammock when compared to the XLC, but is otherwise lighter.

If I opt for the Trail Lair, I'd also need some guidance on custom options--whoopies vs. tree hugger slings, additional tie outs, continuous loops, fixed ridgeline? Any recommendations here? I linked the product page earlier in my post.

For now I plan on using a 12x12 tarp I own already as a roof--will probably invest in a Superfly down the line, but I don't want to go bankrupt trialing hammocks.

I appreciate your help and the wealth of knowledge on this website!

I just went through all that. I really wanted to deal with SLD or Dream Hammocks. I doubt if I'd really use the WBBB's shelf much and I'm not really sure how revolutionary their "footbox" is.
    I ended up ordering the WBBB because it offered the widest width at a higher weight capacity. 63" wide/350# (1.1 & 1.7). With the others I could get the capacity or I could get the width, but not both. I did entertain the idea with
    SLD of a triple 1.1. I think DL 1.1 Streamliner is going to be my next purchase.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    If you shoot Jared a email I'm sure he can work with you on fabric choices, he may not carry what your looking for but he may get it, as far as customizing that's really a personal thing you develop as you do more, me personally would choose a trail lair over WBBB if that was all I could choose from, for me the trail lair I got is more comfortable, but I'm 360 lbs and my trail lair is 72"wide and double layer 2.3 Material. It's a monster at 58 Oz including tree straps and cinch buckles (my preferred method)and wl lazy slug tube. To top it off jared is quick responsive and cost effective. This is only my experience tho. What I will say is once you use the shelf in a WBBB it's hard to give that up..Alot easier then a Ridgeline organizer. Also a WBBB footbox is pretty handy depending on how you like the feel of your feet against the fabric and his new design does have ALOT MORE AIR FLOW than my wide trail lair
    hope this helps , you can't really go wrong with either.
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I have a WB BB XLC 1.7 SL and an 11' X 64" SLD TL 1.1 DL, among many others. The XLC is a super hammock, but I find the Trail Lair significantly more comfortable than the XLC. I also have a 12' SLD Tree Runner DL made with 1.9 ripstop. That is my most comfortable hammock, but huge and heavy to pack, so it's not as comparable to the XLC and TL. If Jared at SLD is out of 1.9, you can email him and he'll give you some options where you can get 1.9 and have it shipped it to him. Also, the 64" width is not a common fabric width, and I've found it makes a big difference for me. Most fabrics will come in 58-60" width, giving you a 56-58" finished width in the hammock, once the sides have been rolled and sewn.

I'm 6'5", 230, so you may not need quite the size I like.

Comfort is the main reason I love the Trail Lair, and it's also significantly cheaper than the XLC, but the XLC has a couple of it's own advantages:

- fully detachable bug net...the SLD TL bug net only zips to the end and and stores in a noseeum stuff sack.
    - you can purchase an optional winter top cover made of breathable ripstop that would be used instead of the bug net. SLD doesn't do that.
    - The Shelf. No other hammock company makes something as useful as The Shelf. I find it a pretty cool addition to the hammock, and even though I don't use the side tie-outs on my hammock, it still works pretty well.

So here's some answers to your other questions:

Suspension: Whoopie sling suspension will be lighter and smaller to pack. It will be HAMMOCK <--> (OPTIONAL) CONTINUOUS LOOP <--> WHOOPIE SLING <--> 1" STRAPS AROUND TREE. It is my preferred method. Cinch buckles will be, theoretically, easier to attach and adjust, though that hasn't been my experience. It will be HAMMOCK <--> (OPTIONAL) CONTINUOUS LOOP <--> (ANOTHER) CONTINOUS LOOP CONNECTED TO THE CINCH BUCKLE <--> 1" STRAPS AROUND TREE. The straps on the cinch buckle suspension will be much longer than on the whoopie sling. With the whoopie sling suspension, you can just run the whoopie sling itself through the hammock's end channel and just larks head it around itself, thus bypassing the continuous loop in the channel. With all that said, I'd spend a little time watching some videos or reading some posts on this site so you really understand the suspension options a little more.

Additional Tie-Outs: I don't use mine. Many folks swear by them because they help open up and spread out the hammock on the inside. I just find myself tripping over them whenever I get in or out of the hammock in the dark.

Ridgeline: The "standard" recommended RL length is 83% of your hammock length. On both the XLC and the TL, that would be about 110". I think Brandon does 110" on the XLC, but it could be an inch longer or shorter. He lists it on his web site. I started out with an adjustable RL, but in the end, every one of my hammocks works fine or best with 83%. Also, keep in mind that if you use an adjustable RL while the bug net is on, and you extend the RL too far, you could damage the netting, because your weight would then start to be supported by the bug net, rather than the RL. So I recommend the 110" or so fixed RL for each hammock.

Good luck with all of this. It's a lot of information to process, and you'll find as many opinions on comfort and features as there are fabric sizes and features available.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I'd also go with a structural ridgline or if you like to fiddle to get the right amount of sag I would opt for a adjustable ridgeline that way you can set it yourself. The rest of your suspension depends on priority speed?weight?ease? I'm sure you'll figure out what you want once you define your priorities. Also look into hammeck they make some geat hammocks at great prices too. Real uick to work with and top notch craftsmanship
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
    I am looking at Warbonnet Blackbird XLC/ in single-layer 1.7 *or* the Simply Light Trail Lair in 1.3.

I am leaning towards the Simply Light since the scant reviews I can find, mostly on this website, suggest it's a better night's sleep when compared to the WBBB.
    If it was that simple, WB would be out of business, because everybody here is always looking for the most comfortable hammock. Unfortunately, it's not that simple - which is why there are so many different hammocks are on the market and why nobody will be able to tell you which of those hammocks will be most comfortable to you. To find out, you would really need to try both - and probably for more than just one night.

I don't know the WB XLC, but I do own several WBBBs, and the one thing I can say is, that the BB needs to be hung and used correctly to be comfortable. It took me about half a year until I found that sweet spot, and even more than 4 years later, I don't always get it perfect all the time. But I'm a lot more consistent. If hung right, my BB is my most comfortable hammock by far. I probably own about 30 hammocks; different designs, lengths, widths etc. But I don't own an SLD. Yet... I'm still fairly sure that it would not take the place of the BB because I like the design so much. Both the features as well as the way I can lie in it. Of course, this is all highly subjective, and you might feel the opposite...

This is why I would say make a list with what you like and don't like for both hammocks, and than pick the one that looks better to you on paper. It rarely seems to happen that somebody is genuinely unhappy with their choice, although many try other hammocks subsequently and end up with a different model.

That being said, it is missing the footbox and "shelf" that the Blackbird have. I was also hoping to get a heavier weight fabric, like 1.7, but the mfr only has 1.1 or 1.3 (and the page says it's available in 1.6 or 1.9).
    Yes, the BB features are unique, and I definitely miss them whenever I sleep in another hammock. But comfort is still my priority, even if it means going without the shelf.

As others have said, just contact SLD - they will probably offer to make you a hammock with a fabric of your choice.

If I opt for the Trail Lair, I'd also need some guidance on custom options--whoopies vs. tree hugger slings, additional tie outs, continuous loops, fixed ridgeline? Any recommendations here?
    As with hammocks, suspension is a matter of taste. I started out with the WB webbing and cinch buckles, and later switched to tree huggers and whoopies. I'm now back to webbing because I like the simplicity and feel that webbing and cinch buckles are more flexible. However, whoopies are a bit lighter. I'm not sure if that's still the case if you use Dutch's new Kevlar straps, though. They seem to be crazy light. Just pick what appeals to you. You can always exchange it later on.

I don't think that with the hammocks you picked you should change the ridgeline, or in other words, go with the fixed ridgeline the manufacturer suggests. Both hammocks are integrated hammocks, meaning the bug net is cut to shape and attached to the hammock. That means, the hammock needs to be hung a certain way to ensure that the net doesn't sag (= ridgeline too short), but also doesn't rip because there's too much tension (= ridgeline too long). If you want to play around with ridgeline lengths, get a no-net hammock plus bug sock.

I've had a 10 foot SLD Trail Lair, single layer 1.6 with the double zipper since May of 2014. Fyi, I'm 5'10", 180...total nights slept in it, about 25 and I'm using whoopies and straps. Due to the design, it is a fixed ridgeline and when I first set it up, i was worried about the comfort, but after I got in, it was perfect. I even copied the same length for my other hammocks.

My buddy has a WB XLC that I've laid in and I was comfortable, but I liked the extra shoulder room in my TL. I admit that the shelf on the WB is handy, but a ridgeline organizer can serve the same purpose.

I've been a supporter or Jareds for many years. He makes quality gear at a fair price and will always go the extra mile for a customer. His communication is fast and always responds to emails....2-3 day turnaround is not uncommon for him. One thing, if you don't like it, it's an easy sell on the forums.

I want to get a Trail Lair and compare it to my XLC.

I got the trail lair in.

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I probably own about 30 hammocks; different designs, lengths, widths etc. But I don't own an SLD. Yet...
    Only 30??? Lol. It is a sickness. I "only" have 14 hammocks.
    As messed up as a soup sandwich

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast