Hammock
    Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks

Use same poles to pull out tarp sides or go to ground?

Been looking to have a more versatile setup in case I want to go to ground. Like on a windswept sandy beach, for instance. I do have some trekking poles, but it seems more likely that I'd be camping by bike or kayak, in which case I wouldn't have a need for trekking poles. So I've been looking at the poles on the zpacks and six moon designs websites. And then wondering if I could use them to also spread out the tarp via the pull-outs like the kits offered from Wilderness Logics or Dutchware or whoever.
    I have a Wilderness Logics Big Daddy tarp with the pull-outs option. It's 115" wide.
    Not sure how long the WL poles are; the Dutchware ones say 54.5". At that height, I'd need to have the edges of my tarp a bit off the ground to have enough width to sleep under. A reason for me wanting to go to ground was all the wind in the night last time I was trying to sleep on a river island. Since they're segmented poles, maybe I could just not have the final segment connected, to get a little shorter pole? I'd need a 40" high pole to have the tarp opened up to 90 degrees and have both sides on the ground.
    Also, the carbon fiber ones are a bit lighter than aluminum. Not sure if there'd be a concern using them to stretch out my tarp, since that'd be lateral forces on them, rather than just the lengthwise compression they're sold for. Still, I don't imagine holding up the tarp a little that way puts a lot of force on them.
    Last edited by pdxleif; 03-25-2015 at 20:23. Reason: Added a height calculation

• + New Posts