HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

Hammeck's New Envy S

From the Hammeck Web site.....

The Envy-S is our premium sewn-channel gathered end hammock, complete with the integrated Peekaboo system, a hybrid cover/bugnet. In the cooler months, the Peekaboo can be closed to aid in retaining body heat. Or, it can be cracked if venting is necessary. In warmer weather, the Peekaboo can be opened up to increase airflow without sacrificing insect protection. The Peekaboo is made from black fabric. A separate bugnet is available, if desired.

It is available in Single Layer (SL) and Double Layer (DL). With the DL,there is an opening between the two layers that will allow a sleeping pad to be installed. The Envy-S comes ready to hang with your choice of suspension, fixed length ridge line, and a double-ended stuff sack. Additionally, there is a small stuff sack attached to the ridgeline to make stashing the Peekaboo more convenient.

Checkout our fabric options here.If we don't have a color you're looking for, we can also order fabric from the vendor of your choice. We recommend DutchwareGear, DIYGear Supply, Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics,or Ripstopby the Roll. Additional charges may apply, as well as lead time, so please contact us first.

You may choose fabric type/color, lay direction, suspension (whoopie slings or cinch buckles), and strap color once you add this item to the cart. There is also an optional field for comments.

All current fabric options have a finished width of 59 inches, except for the 40D ACU Camouflage, which is approximately 64 inches.
    Over the past few months I have had the pleasure to meet the Meck family of the Hammeck Company at several group hangs. They are some of the nicest folks you will meet. The whole family is involved in the manufacturing of their hammocks and each has some part in the manufacturing process. MomMeck even gave me some suggestions on how I could do a better job on sewing rolled seams and I need all the suggestions I can get.

After seeing their hammecks, I had been trying to save up the $$ to buy one. Luckily at the Florida Hang in January I won a gift certificate for one of their custom built hammecks.. As they were demonstrating their new ENVY S prototypes at the hang, I decided to order one.Since the ENVY S was still a prototype I was willing to wait until the Mecks worked the bugs out of the design.

I am a big guy, 6ft 2 and 275+ lbs, so I got with MomMeck and discussed the fabric options and went with the ACU Camo as it is 64”wide and I need something wider than the 60” most fabrics come in.I also went with a double layer because of my weight and a 11 foot long hammeck as I am more concerned with being comfortable in my hammock over saving a few ounces. I decided to let MomMeck choose the the fabric and color selection of the top cover ( face it guys,women are better at picking complementing colors). Meckie attended the Frosty Butt Hang a couple of weeks later and showed me a picture of my hammeck...or rather the pieces of fabric that would become my hammeck. A few weeks later I got a package in the mail. As it turns out I got the first production ENVY S

When I opened up the package I found a ACU Camo double ended stuff sack with the hammock and top cover and a separate bundle that is the bugnet. After checking the seams and stitching for flaws ( something I do with any new gear I get ), I gave up, I could not find a single loose thread and all the seams were straight. The bug net and top cover are made to zip onto the hammock and are completely removable. For those who are not familiar with the ENVY S, it is a multi tool hammock, It can be used as a plain gathered end hammock with out a bug net or top cover, with a bug net or with the Peekaboo top cover.The Peekaboo top cover can be opened up so it is a partial top cover with a bug net so you can keep the bugs out and still enjoy view and if it cools off, zip the Peekaboo cover back in place while inside the hammeck. The top cover is not water proof and is not meant to replace a tarp. MomMeck choose to make the top cover out of Forest Green which IMO really complements the hammock and was a much better choice that what I had thought about going with. The hammock does come with a fixed structural ridge line that does a great job of keeping the bug net and top cover up and out of the way and a small stuff sack attacked to the ridge line to store the Peekaboo cover (or bugnet ) in when not in use. The open flap part of the Peekaboo cover does not totally unzip but can also be stored in the stuff sack when it is unzipped.

The EnvyS also has a sock cord pull out on each side of the hammock.

I went with the cinch buckles and strap suspension as I find the cinch buckles to be the easiest suspension method to use IMO. A whoopiesling option is also available. The Mecks also offer the option to build the hammock so you can lay with your head on the left side and your feet on the right or just the opposite. I went with the head on the left as that is how my BlackBird hammock is made although I could have gone the other way without a problem.

The first night I used the hammock, the temps got to 9 degrees out side and the top cover did a great job of blocking the wind. I have nothad any issues with the top cover or bug net being in my face whilein the hammock. At a recent hang the top cover did such a good job ofkeeping the heat inside the hammock I had to open the top coverseveral times during the night to cool off. This was my first hammock with a top cover so I am still learning how to use it to maximize the venting capabilities.

TheMecks use YKK zippers and use a # 5 coil separating zipper on the TopCover and a # 3 coil separating zipper for the bug net. I found the zippers very easy to operate and one person trying the hammock commented on how easy the zippers functioned compared to the zippers on his hammock from a different manufacture.

I have added some zipper pulls to the zippers to make them easier to find. A word of caution here. The zippers on the top cover over lap so you need to be careful about adding a zipper pull to the inside zipper as once the outer zipper closes over it, the zipper pull makes it impossible or close to it, to un-zip the outer zipper. I had to use forceps to grab the inner zipper pull cord and pull it out to where I could cut it and open the zipper. I do not consider this to be a design flaw as it demonstrates a close fit which will also keep the creepy crawlies out. As I like zipper pulls on my hammock zippers. I will continue to play around with it to see if I can figure something out.

The Mecks do offer videos on on their web site on how to use the hammocks. I recommend watching them as they do demonstrate how to unzip/zip the covers to the hammecks.

All the zippers on the hammock, bug net and Peekaboo cover seemed intimidating at first but after a couple of minutes I found that undoing the different covers and reattaching them was not the issue I thought it might be, Hint....there is a flap on the bug net and Peekaboo cover where the zipper attaches to the main hammock body.This flap goes on the inside of the hammock. The covers attach and detach on the other side of the hammock that you get into.

Weight

-Hammock, stuff sack & suspension ( with out bug net or top cover): 2 lbs 7.8 oz or 1,134 grams

-Top Cover : 9.7 oz or 276 grams

-Bug Net : 4.3 oz or 121 grams ( including the mesh stuff sack )

The final hammock (and top cover weight) will vary based on fabric selection and if DL or SL.. The Mecks do have a chart that shows the approximate weight of the different options.

So far I have used the ENVY S with an Arrowhead Jarbidge, Hammock Gear Phoenix and a UGQ 7/8 Under Quilt with out any problems.

The only issue for me so far is that I have been spoiled by the storage shelf in my BlackBird hammock so I have added a ridge line organizer to the ENVY S to store all my junk. Different hammocks require different adaptions to use.

While using this hammock at the Umstead State Park Hang this past weekend I realized that this hammock is much larger than it looks. While layingin the hammock I can hold my arm straight up and just touch the top of the hammock top cover. Starting thinking that I was truly sleeping in a suspended tent. Also decided that is one extremely comfortable hammock to sleep in. I hated getting out of it in the AM.

Would I recommend this hammock to someone else. Yes. I have used this hammock in my back yard for relaxing and sleeping and at three group hangs. It is a great hammock with lots of features and very well constructed and I look forward to spending many more comfortable nights in. My only concern is that I am worried that if The Terminator gets in it, she may decide she likes it and claim it's her hammeck ( she did that with a TQ I got one time )

If you are looking for a portable hammock stand then check out the Meck's hammock stands, They have a stand that will break down into sections no more that 44” long so it is easy to carry even in a small car. Adapters are also available for using the stand with abridge hammock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 03-25-2015 at 18:05.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Very well written review ,, where are the pictures???

Hammock
    Dutch Argon, wbbb, hammeck netty
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    whoopee slings
    Great review. I have the Hammeck Netty and find it to be the most comfortable hammock I have. Like you I do miss the shelf on the blackbird.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    ,, where are the pictures???
    I am trying to post right now. Don't know why but when ever I copy and past to the forum, the forum runs words together so I had to post the review and then go and edit it.

Like you I do miss the shelf on the blackbird.
    Thats why I added a ridgeline organizer.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I purchased a Netty DL in ACU Camo from the For Sale Forum. It should arrive today. I'm excited to try it out. Thanks for a great review and the pictures.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Looks like a really nice piece- congrats on the new gear!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I got the Netty this afternoon, and did a test drive in the backyard. OMG.....I'm in love! I didn't think I'd find another hammock as comfy as my trusty Trek Light double, but this Netty kicks Old Faithful's butt. About 5 years ago when I first got into hammock hanging, I bought a WBBB. I just couldn't get comfortable in it, and didn't like being zipped in with that shelf blocking my view. Great hammock, don't get me wrong. Just not the one for me. Since then I've sworn by netless hammocks. No more being zipped in for me I said. Well now I'm eating my words. The Netty is the best of both worlds. Net if bugs appear, and topless the rest of the time. Strangely enough, I didn't feel claustrophobic in it. Plenty of room to stretch out and get flat with no calf ridge. Side lying was also easy. I like the feel of the fabric and it has just the right amount of stretch to suit me. Hammock nirvana!
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Excellent write-up on the Envy-S. Thanks!
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    No more being zipped in for me I said
    One reason I like a hammock with a net is that I tend to kick my TQ out of the hammock other wise. Don't like waking up cold and having to search for my TQ.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    One reason I like a hammock with a net is that I tend to kick my TQ out of the hammock other wise. Don't like waking up cold and having to search for my TQ.
    My TQ has a snap and draw string footbox. Only tried a couple nights, but I've had success both times attaching the draw cord to the RL near the foot end.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast