HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Asym Fly from HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas/Whoopie

New DIY UQ idea

So im not sure if this is a brand new idea but I am having a hard time finding someone who has done this.

I came up with the idea of using a kids sleeping bag as an under quilt. It is about the length of 3/4 or 2/3 depending on your height. Now obviously the issues here is that the temperature is not ideal. However, simply opening the baffles and adding stuffing would solve that issue which is what I am planning on doing. The other issue is that the weight may not be ideal but for about 30 bucks that is fine with me until i have more funds to take care of that purchase. The last and final issue is that they look stupid but.... I will be the only guy using a spiderman underquilt lol

Second question I am having a hard time understanding how the shockcord goes through the channels and how they function. It seems like it is to be fed all the way around the underquilt but I have hard time imagining how you can then cinch up the quilt under you. Again this is not a permanent fix but more of a beginner project to learn techniques to build better stuff.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    I was thinkin of doing that with an old Wal-Mart bag I have. I would think you would just sew a channel all the way around with openings in the corners then run a shock cord thru each channel. I would make the head and foot cinchable?
    "Everything works if you let it." - Corpus C. Redfish

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    While it may work okay, it will not be ideal for a number of reasons. It will not be a differential cut. The problem with an underquilt is that you need to pull it tight against your backside to eliminate gaps, but still want it to loft away from you. This is accomplished by a differential cut. The side against the hammock is smaller that the side away so that when you pull it tight you are not compressing the fill material. It will also weigh a lot. If you have some old kids sleeping bags on hand then it might be worth it, but I would price out making an Apex quilt or just buying a Jarbridge from AHE If you are buying the sleeping bag, shock cord, cord locks, clips and adjustment hardware with shipping you may be into the project for more than it is worth.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Just for information sake a lot of the synthetic quilts are not differentially cut. You mention the jarbridge and I believe that one is not. There is a reference to flipping it for which ever color you want out. You will see that more with down quilts

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I have modified a few bags. I have done so in 2 ways. First I took a cheap walmart bag and undid the stitching at the end of the zipper on one side. I took out about 12 inches and tacked the zipper so it didnt continue to undo. I then pull the hammock thru the bag and out the unstitched area. this makes a pea pod. shug had done this without unstitching and using a mummy bag. It doesn't make for the most comfortable (because you are unable to get a diagonal lay).

The other way is to take a rectangle bag and open it up. buy enough shock cord to run the length x2 plus a few feet on either side. And a few extra feet for the head and foot. Take the ends of the bag and sew a channel across. You dont even need extra material, you can just run the shock cord down and out both sides and pull the fabric over and sew a line along the cord trapping the shock cord. Then fold the long sides over about 12 inches on each side, with the longer shockcord running down and either sew it like the head and foot or just sew tabs ever 1-2 feet apart. Then use s biners to attach to the hammock suspension. You can also take the cord you used for head and feet to attach to the gathered ends to keep the hammock up against you.

This would not make for a backpacking set up, but it is very warm for a car camping or spare.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I guess my main complaint about SB/UQ conversions is the weight. Not pack weight, but suspension weight.

I wouldn't care about Spiderman being on my UQ. That would actually be kinda cool.

I'd just rather the suspension didn't have to look like he built it with a webshooter.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Don't worry about putting a cord through the side channels (or making side channels for that matter)
    You can get away with end channels.
    Then sew on grosgrain tabs to the corners to add shock cord, line loc 3's and make it work.
    Less sewing, great hang.
    Quite a few are coming without the side channels. Jacks R Better, some KAQ, depends. Give it a go and
    enjoy your hang!
    I love spiderman.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Asym Fly from HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    Don't worry about putting a cord through the side channels (or making side channels for that matter)
    You can get away with end channels.

I love spiderman.
    Yea i was wondering what the side channels even do. They seem to me that their only function is to adjust the placement of the under quilt. I mean i guess they do make the bag somewhat closer to you but in reality not super close.

Going to goodwill and finding this gem was perfect... I also have a lion king one but my wife isnt in to that lol

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Im doing this very thing right now with two 50° walmart 'lightweight' rectangular bags for our summer car and canoe camping. Hubby and daughter wont be camping With us as often as our son and I camp with scouts so I dont feel that expensive super warm uqs are necessary. $25 each with the shock cord from Dutch and.some leftover ripstop. The zippers just yanked off after pulling the first few stitches and the edges of the bag were already serged. Super duper easy!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Asym Fly from HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas/Whoopie
    Semi finished last night and tried it out and they work great so far the total cost has been 15 bucks for a 3/4 quilt that I would say is at least rated for 50 although I'm looking forward to see how low it can go comfortably. At 60 my back was actually sweating lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast