Central and South America Backpacking

Hi,

Iam currently in Mexico backpacking and was interested purchasing a hammock for the rest of my trip. Iam new to hammocking and Iam unsure what to purchase but have done research. I have looked into ABAC and also the warboonnet hammocks. I would be staying anywhere from hostels to camp sites and so on. I would like the hammock and tarp to be light as possible. What are your reccomadtions for this kind of trip?

Thanks

Milos

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Hey and welcome. I've never heard of ABAC but warbonnet is extremely well thought of on this forum and you really can't go wrong with them. I would think a blackbird and big mamajamba would be ideal for you, light weight and plenty tarp coverage. The warbonnet website will give you details of fabric to use for your weight. Are you planning on using a pad or buying an underquilt? That will also make the decision between single layer/double layer easier.

Thank you,

Thanks for the response. I meant Hennessy Expedition Asym. I was deciding between the two. My main concern was comfort. I was thinking of just using a sleeping bag if nessary. This part of the world tends to get a big hot. Is the pad or under quilt needed?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    From the specs it looks like the Hennessy Expedition Asym is the same length as the regular WBBB (10'). However, the Hennessy is a bit more narrow.

Unfortunately, nobody will be able to tell you in which hammock you'd feel more comfortable. The advantage of the Hennessy would be, that you might be able to get it easier and it might come in a bit cheaper if you consider that a small tarp is included in the deal. However, it is quite a bit heavier, the tarp is very small, and you don't have a choice of going double layer (in case this is important to you).

The Blackbird is pretty light weight, even if you compare it to similarly sized UL hammocks, and it has some nifty features. You also have a choice of fabric weights and a double layer option.

If it was my money, I would go for the Blackbird plus a WB tarp every time - but then the BB is my favorite hammock.

The insulation needs are very personal, too. If you sleep warm, you might not need any insulation under you when temperatures are 65°F and up. As a cold sleeper, I always need insulation under me. If you don't know, and expect low temperatures now and then, rather err on the side of caution and get an underquilt or a sleeping pad. If you go with a pad, a double layer hammock greatly helps with keeping it under you.

My suggestion would be to get either the 1.1oz or 1.7oz double layer Blackbird (depending on your weight), the WB Edge or Mamajamba tarp (depending on how much coverage you want or need), and maybe throw in a WB 3-season Yeti underquilt. You will be able to save on shipping, and you'll get a rebate for ordering a complete kit from WB. The Yeti is a very nice and very lightweight underquilt that packs tiny. You will need a sit pad or similar under your legs in colder temps, but you'll have a hard time finding something warmer for that weight and size.

• + New Posts