Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock
    DIY 2X layer gathered end
    Suspension
    DIY straps

Tarp ridgeline length

Newbie help needed. I am wondering how long your tarp ridge line is. I thought my first attempt at 25 feet Amsteel would be long enough but on my first hang I was proven wrong. I missed by that much (Maxwell Smart). It missed going around the tree and my figure 9 hardware by a 2 to 3 feet. I just tied in a length of 550 cord as a fix. I want my next attempt to be long enough but I also don't want to go overboard. Do you think 30 feet finished length is enough for most situations? Your input would be appreciated.

Razbarry

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Razbarry View Post
    Newbie help needed. I am wondering how long your tarp ridge line is. I thought my first attempt at 25 feet Amsteel would be long enough but on my first hang I was proven wrong. I missed by that much (Maxwell Smart). It missed going around the tree and my figure 9 hardware by a 2 to 3 feet. I just tied in a length of 550 cord as a fix. I want my next attempt to be long enough but I also don't want to go overboard. Do you think 30 feet finished length is enough for most situations? Your input would be appreciated.

Razbarry
    Why not attach to a 2nd set of 1" tree straps? This should help with the ridgeline length and protect the tree as well if you're gonna crank the ridge line taut... Another advantage of the tree straps, once they're in place, you can use one loop as a place to do the trucker's hitch system, or on both sides of the ridge line...

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The length of the RL for your tarp will depend a bit on how large the trees are and how you rig it. If your are using a continuous RL then a little longer is good. If the trees are large then longer is good. Realistically you can't hang your hammock from trees that are greater than 20 feet apart without some difficulty so add the diameter of the trees and you will get a good working idea. Most of us cottage shops though offer RL's from 24-32 foot depending on the type.

Paul@AHE
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    This is actually a complicated question. Some people have two lines, 1 each going from the end of their tarp, around the tree and hooking back to the same line, while others have a single line going from one end of the tarp all the way around the tree back to the other tree and back to the tarp again. This is called a continuous ridge line and there are a few variations of it.

Basically draw a picture of how you want to hang including the distance between trees and the diameter of trees that cover the majority of trees where you hang. Then add up all the distances, plus a little bit for knots etc

Remember that the distance between trees is limited by how high you can reach. More than 20 feet apart means most people will be climbing trees to attach their hammock
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20+1
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am waiting on my 2 new tarps (Kelty Noah 12 and a Warbonnet SuperFly) and I have also decided to switch to a continuous ridge line for easier setup and centering advantages. There was a video I seen with a statement of a 30' line used so that is what I am going to base mine on.
    https://youtu.be/C-IkTg4z6UY
    Hope this helps....

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Here is a link to Derek's other continuous ridgeline method. It uses the same principal as urban clotheslines on a pulley system between tenament apartment buildings. I've been using this for a couple of years (after trying many other setups) and I am still thrilled with it. I'm using 37' of 1.2mm Tech Line ( www.DIYGearSupply.com ) to accommodate 20' clear spacing between two 18" diameter trees. I use a Dutch Stinger and a Dutch Hook for hardware.
    https://youtu.be/hLupiOygs0s
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Depends how you're hooking it up too, but I use a 30 foot continuous ridgeline in a pretty similar configuration to this:
    http://theultimatehang.com/wp-conten...carabiners.jpg
    ... and have only once come up short, in a State Park where I was limited in my site selection. Fixed that by adding a "dogbone" I had along as a pack hanger.

I'm doing much of my camping in North Georgia, which has similar trees to the ones I saw in South Central PA, where I grew up. I see you're in Pittsburgh, so I would imagine the trees near you should be fairly similar.

Good Luck!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro Modded
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Tarp ridgeline length

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Here is a link to Derek's other continuous ridgeline method. It uses the same principal as urban clotheslines on a pulley system between tenament apartment buildings. I've been using this for a couple of years (after trying many other setups) and I am still thrilled with it. I'm using 37' of 1.2mm Tech Line ( www.DIYGearSupply.com ) to accommodate 20' clear spacing between two 18" diameter trees. I use a Dutch Stinger and a Dutch Hook for hardware.
    I recently eye spliced some 1.2mm tech line for tarp guylines and I wondered how well it would work for ridgeline. How well does it work with the Dutch Ware hardware? Just wondering since I know the "gap" on Dutch hook is designed to "snap" onto zing it. I know the tech line is slightly smaller in diameter.
    Last edited by NWAlabamaHiker; 03-24-2015 at 22:52.
    Two heads are good, three are great, but all heads at hammockforums is the best case scenario!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The Dutch Hook holds the 1.2mm Tech Line just fine. When I take it down, I have to wiggle the line a bit to free it from the hook. So, it's not going anywhere on its own.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro Modded
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    The Dutch Hook holds the 1.2mm Tech Line just fine. When I take it down, I have to wiggle the line a bit to free it from the hook. So, it's not going anywhere on its own.
    Great! Thanks! I may look at doing this with my ridgeline.
    Two heads are good, three are great, but all heads at hammockforums is the best case scenario!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast